Problems with Kino's Edison set

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by G. M. Watson, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. G. M. Watson

    G. M. Watson Guest

    I'm slowly working my way thru the Kino Edison DVD set and have noticed some
    problems cropping up on disc 2. Specifically, I can't bring up any of the
    documents. Prior to "The Whole Dam Family", for instance, one of the (links?
    commands? Not sure of the terminology) invites the viewer to click on it to
    bring up an image of the postcard that inspired the film. Well, this met
    with no response. Likewise, several of the films invite the viewer to click
    on a command to bring up images of Edison documents relating to the film in
    question. Again, nothing. But the worst problem that occurred was with
    Porter's "Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend", whose introductory material includes a
    link to a facsimile of one of the orignal Winsor McKay strips. When I
    clicked on this link, the disc crashed and shut itself off. Tried it three
    times with the same result.
    So far I've looked at discs one and two. I didn't have this problem with
    disc one. I think I probably have a lemon, but to be sure, I'm wondering if
    anyone else has had similar problems (i.e was this a problem with the whole
    production run, or is this a single bum copy?), or is there a chance
    (however slim) that I'm doing something wrong?
    This is particularly annoying, as I ordered this box direct from Kino, and
    it's going to be a major hassle to return it (especially since it has to
    cross a border in the process). Which brings me to my final question: I
    haven't dealt much with Kino. Are they generally OK to deal with re
    defective material? They haven't sent me a receipt yet (seems they send them
    separately from the discs themselves, which is annoying), so I suppose I'll
    have to wait for that...
    Any suggestions/info would be much appreciated. I will be e-mailing Kino
    after I check the other discs for flaws (I can only look at so much early
    cinema in a single evening-- heresy, I know...) .
    GMW

    G. M. Watson, Mar 13, 2005

  2. G. M. Watson

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref:

    G. M. Watson <> wrote:
    <snip>

    > Which brings me to my final question: I haven't dealt much
    > with Kino. Are they generally OK to deal with re defective
    > material? They haven't sent me a receipt yet (seems they send
    > them separately from the discs themselves, which is
    > annoying), so I suppose I'll have to wait for that...
    > Any suggestions/info would be much appreciated. I will be
    > e-mailing Kino after I check the other discs for flaws (I can
    > only look at so much early cinema in a single evening--
    > heresy, I know...) .
    > GMW

    I've never had a problem with Kino, but their shipping and mail
    addresses are within the U.S., so no border to cross for me.
    Receipts have always arrived in the package.

    They are a DVD distributor/repackager/producer, specializing in
    older, classic, and non English DVDs and generally materials of
    a narrower interest. I'm sure they'd be interested in
    correspondence from you regarding your problem. I've considered
    my purchases there to be class materials.

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Mar 13, 2005

  3. G. M. Watson

    Bill Coleman Guest

    I don't have the set, but I do have one question.
    Have you tried the defective disc on more
    than one player? Also, what player is it that
    it crashed on?

    Bill Coleman

    ------------------

    Bill Coleman, Mar 13, 2005
  4. G. M. Watson

    Guest

    I can't speak to the technical issues but I am sure your e mail will be
    forwarded to the people who can. However you don't need a receipt or
    anything to return any defective item ordered from Kino DIRECTLY. Just
    send it back to the attention of Nicholas Mulligan to the address on
    the back of the box and he will send a new one In this case it might be
    a good idea to wait and see if they have any info on your problems but
    basically we take back anything bought from us for replacement

    Jessica

    G. M. Watson wrote:
    > I'm slowly working my way thru the Kino Edison DVD set and have

    noticed some
    > problems cropping up on disc 2. Specifically, I can't bring up any of

    the
    > documents. Prior to "The Whole Dam Family", for instance, one of the

    (links?
    > commands? Not sure of the terminology) invites the viewer to click on

    it to
    > bring up an image of the postcard that inspired the film. Well, this

    met
    > with no response. Likewise, several of the films invite the viewer to

    click
    > on a command to bring up images of Edison documents relating to the

    film in
    > question. Again, nothing. But the worst problem that occurred was

    with
    > Porter's "Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend", whose introductory material

    includes a
    > link to a facsimile of one of the orignal Winsor McKay strips. When I
    > clicked on this link, the disc crashed and shut itself off. Tried it

    three
    > times with the same result.
    > So far I've looked at discs one and two. I didn't have this problem

    with
    > disc one. I think I probably have a lemon, but to be sure, I'm

    wondering if
    > anyone else has had similar problems (i.e was this a problem with the

    whole
    > production run, or is this a single bum copy?), or is there a chance
    > (however slim) that I'm doing something wrong?
    > This is particularly annoying, as I ordered this box direct from

    Kino, and
    > it's going to be a major hassle to return it (especially since it has

    > cross a border in the process). Which brings me to my final question:

    > haven't dealt much with Kino. Are they generally OK to deal with re
    > defective material? They haven't sent me a receipt yet (seems they

    send them
    > separately from the discs themselves, which is annoying), so I

    suppose I'll
    > have to wait for that...
    > Any suggestions/info would be much appreciated. I will be e-mailing

    Kino
    > after I check the other discs for flaws (I can only look at so much

    early
    > cinema in a single evening-- heresy, I know...) .
    > GMW

    , Mar 13, 2005
  5. G. M. Watson

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref:

    <> wrote:

    > I can't speak to the technical issues but I am sure your e
    > mail will be forwarded to the people who can. However you
    > don't need a receipt or anything to return any defective item
    > ordered from Kino DIRECTLY. Just send it back to the
    > attention of Nicholas Mulligan to the address on the back of
    > the box and he will send a new one In this case it might be a
    > good idea to wait and see if they have any info on your
    > problems but basically we take back anything bought from us
    > for replacement
    >
    > Jessica
    >

    > G. M. Watson wrote:
    >> I'm slowly working my way thru the Kino Edison DVD set and
    >> have noticed some problems cropping up on disc 2.
    >> Specifically, I can't bring up any of the documents. Prior
    >> to "The Whole Dam Family", for instance, one of the (links?
    >> commands? Not sure of the terminology) invites the viewer to
    >> click on it to bring up an image of the postcard that
    >> inspired the film. Well, this met with no response.
    >> Likewise, several of the films invite the viewer to click on
    >> a command to bring up images of Edison documents relating to
    >> the film in question. Again, nothing. But the worst problem
    >> that occurred was with Porter's "Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend",
    >> whose introductory material includes a link to a facsimile
    >> of one of the orignal Winsor McKay strips. When I clicked on
    >> this link, the disc crashed and shut itself off. Tried it
    >> three times with the same result.
    >> So far I've looked at discs one and two. I didn't have this
    >> problem with disc one. I think I probably have a lemon, but
    >> to be sure, I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar
    >> problems (i.e was this a problem with the whole production
    >> run, or is this a single bum copy?), or is there a chance
    >> (however slim) that I'm doing something wrong?
    >> This is particularly annoying, as I ordered this box direct
    >> from Kino, and it's going to be a major hassle to return it
    >> (especially since it has to cross a border in the process).
    >> Which brings me to my final question: I haven't dealt much
    >> with Kino. Are they generally OK to deal with re defective
    >> material? They haven't sent me a receipt yet (seems they
    >> send them separately from the discs themselves, which is
    >> annoying), so I suppose I'll have to wait for that...
    >> Any suggestions/info would be much appreciated. I will be
    >> e-mailing Kino after I check the other discs for flaws (I
    >> can only look at so much early cinema in a single evening--
    >> heresy, I know...) .
    >> GMW

    Exactly the kind of reply I'd have expected from Kino. A class
    act!!

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Mar 13, 2005
  6. G. M. Watson

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <FS%Yd.1515$u76.1499@trndny08>, "Bill Coleman"
    <> wrote:

    > I don't have the set, but I do have one question.
    > Have you tried the defective disc on more
    > than one player? Also, what player is it that
    > it crashed on?
    >
    > Bill Coleman

    No, I haven't had the opportunity as yet to try it on more than one player,
    but I may. Ours is a Panasonic RP-56, at least a couple of years old, and as
    far as I can recall it's worked fine with anything else we've thrown at it
    (as long as it's Region 1, of course--- sigh).

    G. M. Watson, Mar 13, 2005