    the only thing is that I don't know what to do to check whether this might
    be the case and what to do if it is the problem. any ideas?

    Paul Bennett
    Paul Bennett, Nov 3, 2005

  2. Paul Bennett bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I recently re-installed Windows XP Home Edition to alleviate a problem I
    > was having. prior to this Internet Explorer was working perfectly. since
    > reinstalling Windows I cannot access the internet. Pipex helpdesk told me
    > to try Mozilla Firefox which also does not work and he suggested that the
    > problem might lie with Port 80 which both of the browsers operate through.
    > the only thing is that I don't know what to do to check whether this might
    > be the case and what to do if it is the problem. any ideas?
    >
    > Paul Bennett

    Tech support obviously are clueless?
    Michael Thompson, Nov 3, 2005

  3. Paul Bennett bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I recently re-installed Windows XP Home Edition to alleviate a problem I
    > was having. prior to this Internet Explorer was working perfectly. since
    > reinstalling Windows I cannot access the internet. Pipex helpdesk told me
    > to try Mozilla Firefox which also does not work and he suggested that the
    > problem might lie with Port 80 which both of the browsers operate through.
    > the only thing is that I don't know what to do to check whether this might
    > be the case and what to do if it is the problem. any ideas?
    >
    > Paul Bennett

    Are you running a firewall? If so check to make sure that it is not blocking
    port 80 TCP.

    Anything else running on Port 80? File sharing etc?

    Can you see out the internet? Ping www.google.com?
    Michael Thompson, Nov 3, 2005
  4. Paul Bennett

    Paul Bennett Guest

    first of all how do i check that nothing is sharing Port 80 and yes i was
    able to Ping the BBC site so there is no problem with the conn ction. can
    you also type slowly as i am not particularly gifted in the techie dept.

    Paul Bennett, Nov 3, 2005
  5. Paul Bennett bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > first of all how do i check that nothing is sharing Port 80 and yes i was
    > able to Ping the BBC site so there is no problem with the conn ction. can
    > you also type slowly as i am not particularly gifted in the techie dept.

    Type slowly? Ok, what the hell ever.

    FIRST:

    ARE YOU R U N N I N G ANY SOFTWARE FIREWALLS / ROUTERS?
    Michael Thompson, Nov 3, 2005
  6. Paul Bennett

    Paul Bennett Guest

    OK no need to shout.
    i have Zone Alarm and Windows Service Pack 2 Firewall but have tried IE
    with both disabled at the same time with no improvement. also after recent
    advice have disabled ZoneAlarm firewall permanently so that there is no
    conflict.

    Paul Bennett, Nov 3, 2005
  7. Paul Bennett

    Tony Guest

    Can you type in an IP address in Explorer instead of the URL and get to
    a web site?
    Tony, Nov 3, 2005
  8. Paul Bennett

    Andrew Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 13:34:26 +0000, Michael Thompson
    <> wrote:

    >Paul Bennett bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom in
    >24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> first of all how do i check that nothing is sharing Port 80 and yes i was
    >> able to Ping the BBC site so there is no problem with the conn ction. can
    >> you also type slowly as i am not particularly gifted in the techie dept.

    >Type slowly? Ok, what the hell ever.
    >
    >FIRST:
    >
    >ARE YOU R U N N I N G ANY SOFTWARE FIREWALLS / ROUTERS?

    Michael Thomson has provided the same service as an abusive janitor..
    maybe he got sacked ... we don't know...all we can suggest is that
    everyone ignore his uncontrollable bollocks ! As should He.
    Andrew, Nov 3, 2005
  9. Paul Bennett

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Paul - This is likely a corruption of your Winsock2 stack. The following
    is from my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy below in my Signature:

    #########IMPORTANT#########
    Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs below, download
    both a copy of LSPFIX here:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    AND a copy of Winsockfix for W95, W98, and ME
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257

    or here for Win2k/XP
    http://files.webattack.com/localdl834/WinsockxpFix.exe
    Info and download here: http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    Directions here: http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

    The process of removing certain malware may kill your internet connection.
    If this should occur, these programs, LSPFIX and WINSOCKFIX, will enable you
    to regain your connection.

    NOTE: It is reported that in XP SP2, the Run command

    netsh winsock reset

    will fix this problem without the need for these programs. (You can also try
    this if you're on XP SP1. There has also been one, as yet unconfirmed,
    report that this also works there.) Also, one MS technician suggested the
    following sequence:

    netsh int reset all
    ipconfig /flushdns

    See also: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm for additional XPSP2
    info/approaches using the netsh command.

    An alternative approach with necessary .reg files which will often work even
    when the above doesn't is defined here, courtesy of Bob Cerelli:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ie_tips.htm#winsock_fix Recommended.

    Remember - you need to do any downloads ahead of time BEFORE you do any
    malware cleaning.
    #########IMPORTANT#########

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Nov 3, 2005
  10. Paul Bennett

    Plato Guest

    Paul Bennett wrote:

    > I recently re-installed Windows XP Home Edition to alleviate a problem I was
    > having. prior to this Internet Explorer was working perfectly. since

    What problem? Perhaps re installing windows, instead of trying to
    address the problem, only made the problem worse.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 3, 2005