Problems with installing X64 on K8NXP-SLI

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?S3VjaHQ=?=, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. Hi!
    I have a strange problem when installing X64. I will just describe you the
    steps I made for installing the system:

    Booted with the installation-CD, then added the drivers for my SATA-RAID
    (RAID1 on NForce4-chipset). I used the newest drivers from the
    Nvidia-website. Now I deleted the whole HDD and created one 50GB partition
    with NTFS (slow format). Now the installation works normally and the XP comes
    up the first time. Everything works fine. But when I restart the system now
    an error occurs while starting XP again:
    Cannot find file \Windows\System32\Config\*** (e.g. SYSTEM)
    I tried to reinstall XP some times and every time another file occured in
    the error-message. I also tired to install the 64bit-drivers for my RAID
    while the one (and only) startup of XP but with no success. Strting with
    WinPE shows that all files are definitely in this directory so I don't
    understand it. Does anyone have an idea what goes wrong here?

    Oh, my system in short:
    Gigabyte GA K8NXP-SLI
    2 SATA Samsung-HDDs on nForce4-chipset (RAID1)
    BIOS F8 (also tried F9)

    Thanks for every help,
    Kucht

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VjaHQ=?=, Aug 23, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S3VjaHQ=?=

    Terry Guest

    When I had a problem such as this, it was not finding NTOSKRNL.EXE -- I
    pulled out one of my RAM boards and the problem went away. I swapped the
    two, and got the problem. I concluded that one of my RAM boards (2 512MB
    DIMMs) was bad, and exchanged both with a new package from the store --
    problem solved.

    Since then, I have not fooled around with overclocking, or reducing CAS
    latency, etc. I would expect a similar problem from doing these kinds of
    things as what was happening with bad RAM, so I would suggest setting the
    BIOS to default, fail-safe, etc.

    Terry, Aug 24, 2005

  3. Hmm, I think this is not my problem because a 32bit Windows XP Professional
    runs without problems (since ~4 month). Anything like overclocking is not
    set, the board runs with the default settings.

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VjaHQ=?=, Aug 25, 2005
  4. x64 Edition does seem to point out problems with RAM that 32-bit doesn't. It
    may not be the cause, but it wouldn't hurt to run a good, thorough, ram test
    utility.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2005
  5. Hi!
    I just tested my hardware (including RAM) with BurnInTest Pro 4.0. The tests
    passed without errors.

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VjaHQ=?=, Aug 25, 2005
  6. Well, I'd be having a discussion with Gigabyte about now. I think you've
    done all the reasonable things, and it sounds like a problem on their end
    somewhere. Probably something with the storage driver, but that's purely a
    SWAG.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2005
  7. Okay, will get Gigabyte on the nerves! :)

    Thanks for your help!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?S3VjaHQ=?=, Aug 29, 2005