Problems with Indiana Jones DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tom Royer, Nov 1, 2004.

  1. Tom Royer

    Tom Royer Guest

    I just purchased the 4 disc set of the Indiana Jones
    movies and have a serious problem getting the dialogue
    going using the "setup" menu selections.

    I have the Bose 3-2-1 (or is it 1-2-3) DVD player.

    Even when I select English (for the language) and
    none (for the subtitles) I get no dialogue.

    A couple of times (using some combination of
    settings that I don't recall) I got English dialogue
    with English subtitles, but that wasn't satisfactory
    since the subtitles are a distraction when you
    don't need them.

    As some extra information, I have found that
    on the Star Wars DVDs, I have to turn off the
    THX and turn on regular surround sound to get
    the dialogue -- I just can't figure out how to
    turn off the THX (if that's what's required) with
    the latest set.

    Any help will be greatly appeciated.

    Thanks

    --
    Thomas C Royer
    Lead Engineer, Software Test

    Tom Royer, Nov 1, 2004

  2. Tom Royer

    MheAd Guest

    > As some extra information, I have found that
    > on the Star Wars DVDs, I have to turn off the
    > THX and turn on regular surround sound to get
    > the dialogue -- I just can't figure out how to
    > turn off the THX (if that's what's required) with
    > the latest set.

    Sometimes the sound options are not avaiable in a DVD-movie's root menu.
    Sometimes you need to set it by pressing your 'Audio' (or 'Sound') button on
    your DVD remote controll to browse avaiable sound tracks.

    MheAd, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Tom Royer

    pt Guest

    TR> I have the Bose 3-2-1 (or is it 1-2-3) DVD player.

    TR> Even when I select English (for the language) and
    TR> none (for the subtitles) I get no dialogue.

    It's possible your dvd player is set to output Dobly Digital or DTS, but
    your receiver can't decode these? Or similarly, your dvd player may be set
    to automatically output DD or DTS on Digital (coax or optical) only, but you
    don't have that hooked up to the receiver. In the first case, if you find a
    menu option on the dvd player to use PCM instead of DD or DTS, then try
    that. There may be a similar option for Ditigtal output, or maye a setting
    under 'mixdown options' or somthing like that.

    hth.

    pt, Nov 2, 2004
  4. In article <cm5gu6$ggn$>, says...

    > Even when I select English (for the language) and
    > none (for the subtitles) I get no dialogue.
    >
    > A couple of times (using some combination of
    > settings that I don't recall) I got English dialogue
    > with English subtitles, but that wasn't satisfactory
    > since the subtitles are a distraction when you
    > don't need them.

    This sounds very strange. Do you mean to say that you *do* get other
    sound, but no dialogue? After all, the dialogue is on the same
    soundtrack as everything else.

    Could you give some details about your setup? Do you have a surround
    receiver, and if you do, how many speakers do you have, and how is it
    connected to your DVD player?

    The only thing that comes to mind is the possibility that you *don't*
    have a center speaker, but your surround receiver or DVD player are
    mistakenly set up as if you do. Dialogue usually comes from the center,
    and if the receiver thinks you have one, that's where it will send the
    channel. If you turn the center off in the receiver and/or DVD player,
    it should mix the center channel evenly with the left and right front
    speakers.

    > As some extra information, I have found that
    > on the Star Wars DVDs, I have to turn off the
    > THX and turn on regular surround sound to get
    > the dialogue -- I just can't figure out how to
    > turn off the THX (if that's what's required) with
    > the latest set.

    Well, I can't claim to be an expert, but I've never heard about THX as
    a setting that can be switched on or off. It's just a quality standard.
    Is it possible that you're confusing it with Dolby Digital versus Dolby
    Surround/plain stereo? Some DVDs have both a Dolby Digital track and a
    plain two-channel Dolby Surround or stereo track. In the latter case,
    most/all of the sound would come from the left and right front
    speakers, and less or nothing from the center speaker. Therefore you
    would not miss anything even if the center speaker is missing.

    I can only suggest that you examine your manuals for your receiver and
    DVD player closely, and find out how to set which speakers you actually
    have. Make sure to turn off any speakers that you don't have.

    Yngvar

    Yngvar Følling, Nov 6, 2004