Problems With IDE / DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pyrosarco@gmail.com, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Alright,

    Lately I have been having problems with my DVD +/- RW drive. One, it
    does not want to read anything that I put into it with out me going
    into My Computer and clicking on the D: drive. It will then read it,
    but isn't it supposed to pop a menu or something?

    Two, it won't burn DVDs or CDs at all any more. I will start a burn
    process and it will go through the motions but it wont burn. The disk
    doesn't appear to be spinning while I am burning...

    Three, I wiped my computer and reinstalled Windows XP to see if that
    would change anything because the drive used to work. For the past 2
    weeks it hasn't. I have both Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 and Nero 7 Ultra
    Edition and neither will successfully burn a disk.

    Four, I was messing around in Device Manager to see if I could update a
    driver for it, but it says it has the latest windows driver. Short of
    pulling the damn thing out of my machine, I cannot tell you what it is.
    I did however try and disconnect the IDE cable and return it, to no
    success in how it worked.

    Five, I am still in device manager under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'
    and I notice that I have 3 Primary IDE Channels, 3 Secondary IDE
    Channels, and 3 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers. What is
    that? I only have one HDD connected and my DVD drive. I did a quick
    search in google and all I found was a dead link to an nVidia site that
    mentioned these three channels.

    Could someone help me? I am willing to provide further information.

    Thanks,

    , Dec 30, 2006

  2. beenthere Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Alright,
    >
    > Lately I have been having problems with my DVD +/- RW drive. One, it
    > does not want to read anything that I put into it with out me going
    > into My Computer and clicking on the D: drive. It will then read it,
    > but isn't it supposed to pop a menu or something?
    >
    > Two, it won't burn DVDs or CDs at all any more. I will start a burn
    > process and it will go through the motions but it wont burn. The disk
    > doesn't appear to be spinning while I am burning...
    >
    > Three, I wiped my computer and reinstalled Windows XP to see if that
    > would change anything because the drive used to work. For the past 2
    > weeks it hasn't. I have both Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 and Nero 7 Ultra
    > Edition and neither will successfully burn a disk.
    >
    > Four, I was messing around in Device Manager to see if I could update a
    > driver for it, but it says it has the latest windows driver. Short of
    > pulling the damn thing out of my machine, I cannot tell you what it is.
    > I did however try and disconnect the IDE cable and return it, to no
    > success in how it worked.
    >
    > Five, I am still in device manager under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'
    > and I notice that I have 3 Primary IDE Channels, 3 Secondary IDE
    > Channels, and 3 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers. What is
    > that? I only have one HDD connected and my DVD drive. I did a quick
    > search in google and all I found was a dead link to an nVidia site that
    > mentioned these three channels.
    >
    > Could someone help me? I am willing to provide further information.

    You Can`t and Shouldn`t try to use Roxio and Nero on the
    same machine, `cos they tend to conflict with each other.

    So uninstall both, then re-install one (perhaps Nero).

    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Guest

    Nero and Roxio never had problems before when I was burning with both
    of them. It' s definitely more of a hardware issue than a software one.

    , Dec 30, 2006
  4. Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 07:11:51 -0800, pyrosarco Has Frothed:

    > Nero and Roxio never had problems before when I was burning with both
    > of them. It' s definitely more of a hardware issue than a software one.

    Replace the drive which you should have done in the first place before
    jumping thru all those hoops.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Dec 30, 2006