Problems with getting a SB live gameport working under XP.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Squiggle, Oct 24, 2009.

  1. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Decided earlier today that I wanted to play a flight sim( freefalcon),
    so rebooted into XP pro to load it up since I expected that the
    SoundBlaster Live wouldn't be supported under win7 RC and discovered
    that the gameport on the SB Live wasn't in the hardware list. manually
    added it only to get it appear in the hardware list with a yellow
    exclamation mark, and a code 10 error "This device cannot start".
    Checked all the obvious things like reseating the card, making sure the
    drivers were the newest one available etc but still no joy. Even tried
    the uninstall a few devices to force Windows to rediscover them trick
    but no joy.

    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this working
    before I cough up for a USB joystick and dispose of the faithful MS
    Sidewinder Pro joystick.

    Not keen on buying a new joystick, since I can't afford to spend much on
    one at the moment, and there are very few that are built as well as the
    MS sidewinders were.

    Hardware:
    Asus P5Q Pro
    E5200 @ stock speed.
    4GB DDR2
    ATI HD4830 graphics card
    Sb Live (value?)

    Any (constructive) suggestions welcomed.

    Cheers
    Squiggle, Oct 24, 2009

  2. Squiggle

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:02:45 +1300, Squiggle wrote:

    > Decided earlier today that I wanted to play a flight sim( freefalcon),
    > so rebooted into XP pro to load it up since I expected that the
    > SoundBlaster Live wouldn't be supported under win7 RC and discovered
    > that the gameport on the SB Live wasn't in the hardware list. manually
    > added it only to get it appear in the hardware list with a yellow
    > exclamation mark, and a code 10 error "This device cannot start".
    > Checked all the obvious things like reseating the card, making sure the
    > drivers were the newest one available etc but still no joy. Even tried
    > the uninstall a few devices to force Windows to rediscover them trick
    > but no joy.
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this working
    > before I cough up for a USB joystick and dispose of the faithful MS
    > Sidewinder Pro joystick.
    >
    > Not keen on buying a new joystick, since I can't afford to spend much on
    > one at the moment, and there are very few that are built as well as the
    > MS sidewinders were.
    >
    > Hardware:
    > Asus P5Q Pro
    > E5200 @ stock speed.
    > 4GB DDR2
    > ATI HD4830 graphics card
    > Sb Live (value?)
    >
    > Any (constructive) suggestions welcomed.
    >

    > Cheers

    Maybe a usb to game port adapter?, they are out there. You will still
    need a driver for Vista/win7 . Those few still running MIDI through the
    game port are in the same boat(MIDI uses the same 15 pin connector).
    Roger_Nickel, Oct 24, 2009

  3. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Roger_Nickel threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:02:45 +1300, Squiggle wrote:
    >

    >> Decided earlier today that I wanted to play a flight sim( freefalcon),
    >> so rebooted into XP pro to load it up since I expected that the
    >> SoundBlaster Live wouldn't be supported under win7 RC and discovered
    >> that the gameport on the SB Live wasn't in the hardware list. manually
    >> added it only to get it appear in the hardware list with a yellow
    >> exclamation mark, and a code 10 error "This device cannot start".
    >> Checked all the obvious things like reseating the card, making sure the
    >> drivers were the newest one available etc but still no joy. Even tried
    >> the uninstall a few devices to force Windows to rediscover them trick
    >> but no joy.
    >>
    >> Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this working
    >> before I cough up for a USB joystick and dispose of the faithful MS
    >> Sidewinder Pro joystick.
    >>
    >> Not keen on buying a new joystick, since I can't afford to spend much on
    >> one at the moment, and there are very few that are built as well as the
    >> MS sidewinders were.
    >>
    >> Hardware:
    >> Asus P5Q Pro
    >> E5200 @ stock speed.
    >> 4GB DDR2
    >> ATI HD4830 graphics card
    >> Sb Live (value?)
    >>
    >> Any (constructive) suggestions welcomed.
    >>

    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Maybe a usb to game port adapter?, they are out there. You will still
    > need a driver for Vista/win7 . Those few still running MIDI through the
    > game port are in the same boat(MIDI uses the same 15 pin connector).

    Cheers for that suggestion, just had a browse on trademe and can't see
    one on there. Will check again in a week or so.
    Squiggle, Oct 25, 2009
  4. Squiggle

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On 25 Oct 2009 07:40:01 +1200, Roger_Nickel <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:02:45 +1300, Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> Decided earlier today that I wanted to play a flight sim( freefalcon),
    >> so rebooted into XP pro to load it up since I expected that the
    >> SoundBlaster Live wouldn't be supported under win7 RC and discovered
    >> that the gameport on the SB Live wasn't in the hardware list. manually
    >> added it only to get it appear in the hardware list with a yellow
    >> exclamation mark, and a code 10 error "This device cannot start".
    >> Checked all the obvious things like reseating the card, making sure the
    >> drivers were the newest one available etc but still no joy. Even tried
    >> the uninstall a few devices to force Windows to rediscover them trick
    >> but no joy.
    >>
    >> Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this working
    >> before I cough up for a USB joystick and dispose of the faithful MS
    >> Sidewinder Pro joystick.
    >>
    >> Not keen on buying a new joystick, since I can't afford to spend much on
    >> one at the moment, and there are very few that are built as well as the
    >> MS sidewinders were.
    >>
    >> Hardware:
    >> Asus P5Q Pro
    >> E5200 @ stock speed.
    >> 4GB DDR2
    >> ATI HD4830 graphics card
    >> Sb Live (value?)
    >>
    >> Any (constructive) suggestions welcomed.
    >>

    >> Cheers

    >Maybe a usb to game port adapter?, they are out there. You will still
    >need a driver for Vista/win7 . Those few still running MIDI through the
    >game port are in the same boat(MIDI uses the same 15 pin connector).

    He is not running Vista/Win7
    Mary Hanna, Oct 25, 2009
  5. Squiggle

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:35:29 +1300, Squiggle <> wrote:

    >Roger_Nickel threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:02:45 +1300, Squiggle wrote:
    >>

    >>> Decided earlier today that I wanted to play a flight sim( freefalcon),
    >>> so rebooted into XP pro to load it up since I expected that the
    >>> SoundBlaster Live wouldn't be supported under win7 RC and discovered
    >>> that the gameport on the SB Live wasn't in the hardware list. manually
    >>> added it only to get it appear in the hardware list with a yellow
    >>> exclamation mark, and a code 10 error "This device cannot start".
    >>> Checked all the obvious things like reseating the card, making sure the
    >>> drivers were the newest one available etc but still no joy. Even tried
    >>> the uninstall a few devices to force Windows to rediscover them trick
    >>> but no joy.
    >>>
    >>> Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this working
    >>> before I cough up for a USB joystick and dispose of the faithful MS
    >>> Sidewinder Pro joystick.
    >>>
    >>> Not keen on buying a new joystick, since I can't afford to spend much on
    >>> one at the moment, and there are very few that are built as well as the
    >>> MS sidewinders were.
    >>>
    >>> Hardware:
    >>> Asus P5Q Pro
    >>> E5200 @ stock speed.
    >>> 4GB DDR2
    >>> ATI HD4830 graphics card
    >>> Sb Live (value?)
    >>>
    >>> Any (constructive) suggestions welcomed.
    >>>

    >>> Cheers
    >>>

    >> Maybe a usb to game port adapter?, they are out there. You will still
    >> need a driver for Vista/win7 . Those few still running MIDI through the
    >> game port are in the same boat(MIDI uses the same 15 pin connector).
    >>

    >Cheers for that suggestion, just had a browse on trademe and can't see
    >one on there. Will check again in a week or so.

    Why waist money when all you need is the XP driver

    Try these links

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295318

    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=82026

    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=111936
    Mary Hanna, Oct 25, 2009
  6. Squiggle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > Decided earlier today that I wanted to play a flight sim( freefalcon),
    > so rebooted into XP pro to load it up since I expected that the
    > SoundBlaster Live wouldn't be supported under win7 RC and discovered
    > that the gameport on the SB Live wasn't in the hardware list. manually
    > added it only to get it appear in the hardware list with a yellow
    > exclamation mark, and a code 10 error "This device cannot start".
    > Checked all the obvious things like reseating the card, making sure
    > the drivers were the newest one available etc but still no joy. Even
    > tried the uninstall a few devices to force Windows to rediscover them
    > trick but no joy.
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this
    > working before I cough up for a USB joystick and dispose of the
    > faithful MS Sidewinder Pro joystick.
    >
    > Not keen on buying a new joystick, since I can't afford to spend much
    > on one at the moment, and there are very few that are built as well
    > as the MS sidewinders were.
    >
    > Hardware:
    > Asus P5Q Pro
    > E5200 @ stock speed.
    > 4GB DDR2
    > ATI HD4830 graphics card
    > Sb Live (value?)
    >
    > Any (constructive) suggestions welcomed.

    I assume that you looked for jumpers on the card? Other than that all I can
    suggest is poking around in the mobo BIOS, making absolutely sure the
    on-board sound is disabled, checking settings for PCI card resources etc. If
    the BIOS is set to 'Plug'n Play OS' set it to not...

    Good luck. I just did a quick Google and saw your post echoed on
    velocityreviews.com. I detest those forums that just leech usenet and claim
    it as their own. Didn't find anything pertinent though. That said, it *was*
    a quick one.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 25, 2009
  7. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    >> Decided earlier today that I wanted to play a flight sim( freefalcon),
    >> so rebooted into XP pro to load it up since I expected that the
    >> SoundBlaster Live wouldn't be supported under win7 RC and discovered
    >> that the gameport on the SB Live wasn't in the hardware list. manually
    >> added it only to get it appear in the hardware list with a yellow
    >> exclamation mark, and a code 10 error "This device cannot start".
    >> Checked all the obvious things like reseating the card, making sure
    >> the drivers were the newest one available etc but still no joy. Even
    >> tried the uninstall a few devices to force Windows to rediscover them
    >> trick but no joy.
    >>
    >> Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this
    >> working before I cough up for a USB joystick and dispose of the
    >> faithful MS Sidewinder Pro joystick.
    >>
    >> Not keen on buying a new joystick, since I can't afford to spend much
    >> on one at the moment, and there are very few that are built as well
    >> as the MS sidewinders were.
    >>
    >> Hardware:
    >> Asus P5Q Pro
    >> E5200 @ stock speed.
    >> 4GB DDR2
    >> ATI HD4830 graphics card
    >> Sb Live (value?)
    >>
    >> Any (constructive) suggestions welcomed.

    > I assume that you looked for jumpers on the card? Other than that all I can
    > suggest is poking around in the mobo BIOS, making absolutely sure the
    > on-board sound is disabled, checking settings for PCI card resources etc. If
    > the BIOS is set to 'Plug'n Play OS' set it to not...
    >
    > Good luck. I just did a quick Google and saw your post echoed on
    > velocityreviews.com. I detest those forums that just leech usenet and claim
    > it as their own. Didn't find anything pertinent though. That said, it *was*
    > a quick one.

    Hmm, never realised that those sites did that, another site to add to my
    avoid list.

    I'm pretty sure its a software issue, since I recall having it working
    on this Pc when I first built it, and I was still using the onboard
    sound I believe. I'll try a bit of playing in BIOS after uni exams are
    done. Will probably try and sort it about the same time i get round to
    installing Win7 Pro.

    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Squiggle, Oct 25, 2009
  8. Squiggle

    Mary Hanna, Oct 25, 2009
  9. Squiggle

    Mary Hanna, Oct 25, 2009
  10. Squiggle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
    >>> Decided earlier today that I wanted to play a flight sim(
    >>> freefalcon), so rebooted into XP pro to load it up since I expected
    >>> that the SoundBlaster Live wouldn't be supported under win7 RC and
    >>> discovered that the gameport on the SB Live wasn't in the hardware
    >>> list. manually added it only to get it appear in the hardware list
    >>> with a yellow exclamation mark, and a code 10 error "This device
    >>> cannot start". Checked all the obvious things like reseating the
    >>> card, making sure the drivers were the newest one available etc but
    >>> still no joy. Even tried the uninstall a few devices to force
    >>> Windows to rediscover them trick but no joy.
    >>>
    >>> Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this
    >>> working before I cough up for a USB joystick and dispose of the
    >>> faithful MS Sidewinder Pro joystick.
    >>>
    >>> Not keen on buying a new joystick, since I can't afford to spend
    >>> much on one at the moment, and there are very few that are built as
    >>> well as the MS sidewinders were.
    >>>
    >>> Hardware:
    >>> Asus P5Q Pro
    >>> E5200 @ stock speed.
    >>> 4GB DDR2
    >>> ATI HD4830 graphics card
    >>> Sb Live (value?)
    >>>
    >>> Any (constructive) suggestions welcomed.

    >> I assume that you looked for jumpers on the card? Other than that
    >> all I can suggest is poking around in the mobo BIOS, making
    >> absolutely sure the on-board sound is disabled, checking settings
    >> for PCI card resources etc. If the BIOS is set to 'Plug'n Play OS'
    >> set it to not... Good luck. I just did a quick Google and saw your post
    >> echoed on
    >> velocityreviews.com. I detest those forums that just leech usenet
    >> and claim it as their own. Didn't find anything pertinent though.
    >> That said, it *was* a quick one.

    > Hmm, never realised that those sites did that, another site to add to
    > my avoid list.

    Yeah, there are at least half-a-dozen 'hardware forums' that leech usenet
    and use it as their own. I seem to remember that one of them even required a
    fee to read more than x number of posts (although that was a while back).
    Another [or perhaps that one] claimed to have 'hundreds of experts just
    waiting to answer your hardware questions'. Damn leeches.

    > I'm pretty sure its a software issue, since I recall having it working
    > on this Pc when I first built it, and I was still using the onboard
    > sound I believe. I'll try a bit of playing in BIOS after uni exams
    > are done. Will probably try and sort it about the same time i get
    > round to installing Win7 Pro.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions.

    You're welcome. Hope you get it sorted without too much drama.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 25, 2009
  11. Squiggle

    Guest

    On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:35:29 +1300, Squiggle <> wrote:

    >Roger_Nickel threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:02:45 +1300, Squiggle wrote:
    >>

    >>> Decided earlier today that I wanted to play a flight sim( freefalcon),
    >>> so rebooted into XP pro to load it up since I expected that the
    >>> SoundBlaster Live wouldn't be supported under win7 RC and discovered
    >>> that the gameport on the SB Live wasn't in the hardware list. manually
    >>> added it only to get it appear in the hardware list with a yellow
    >>> exclamation mark, and a code 10 error "This device cannot start".
    >>> Checked all the obvious things like reseating the card, making sure the
    >>> drivers were the newest one available etc but still no joy. Even tried
    >>> the uninstall a few devices to force Windows to rediscover them trick
    >>> but no joy.
    >>>
    >>> Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this working
    >>> before I cough up for a USB joystick and dispose of the faithful MS
    >>> Sidewinder Pro joystick.
    >>>
    >>> Not keen on buying a new joystick, since I can't afford to spend much on
    >>> one at the moment, and there are very few that are built as well as the
    >>> MS sidewinders were.
    >>>
    >>> Hardware:
    >>> Asus P5Q Pro
    >>> E5200 @ stock speed.
    >>> 4GB DDR2
    >>> ATI HD4830 graphics card
    >>> Sb Live (value?)
    >>>
    >>> Any (constructive) suggestions welcomed.
    >>>

    >>> Cheers
    >>>

    >> Maybe a usb to game port adapter?, they are out there. You will still
    >> need a driver for Vista/win7 . Those few still running MIDI through the
    >> game port are in the same boat(MIDI uses the same 15 pin connector).
    >>

    >Cheers for that suggestion, just had a browse on trademe and can't see
    >one on there. Will check again in a week or so.

    Why waist money when all you need is the XP driver

    Try these links

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295318

    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=82026

    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=111936
    , Oct 26, 2009
  12. Squiggle

    EMB Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Try these links
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295318
    >>
    >> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=82026
    >>
    >> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=111936

    > I dont beleive its a driver issue, the driver included with XP has
    > always worked fine in the past. It think misfit was on the right path
    > when he mentioned BIOS options and things.
    >
    > PS: its waste, not waist.

    And it's Woger, not billsmith. Which raises the question, does a
    billsmith make duck components? ;-)
    EMB, Oct 26, 2009
  13. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Try these links
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295318
    >>>
    >>> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=82026
    >>>
    >>> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=111936

    >> I dont beleive its a driver issue, the driver included with XP has
    >> always worked fine in the past. It think misfit was on the right path
    >> when he mentioned BIOS options and things.
    >>
    >> PS: its waste, not waist.

    > And it's Woger, not billsmith. Which raises the question, does a
    > billsmith make duck components? ;-)

    Gah, i've been wogered!
    Squiggle, Oct 26, 2009
  14. Squiggle

    Guest

    On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:56:25 +1300, Squiggle <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:35:29 +1300, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Roger_Nickel threw some characters down the intarwebs:

    >>> Cheers for that suggestion, just had a browse on trademe and can't see
    >>> one on there. Will check again in a week or so.

    >> Why waist money when all you need is the XP driver
    >>

    >> Try these links
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295318
    >>
    >> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=82026
    >>
    >> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=111936

    >I dont beleive its a driver issue, the driver included with XP has
    >always worked fine in the past. It think misfit was on the right path
    >when he mentioned BIOS options and things.
    >
    >PS: its waste, not waist.

    At least I have been involved with computers a lot longer that any one here, Plus being train on
    them..
    , Oct 26, 2009
  15. Squiggle

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:56:25 +1300, Squiggle <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:35:29 +1300, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Roger_Nickel threw some characters down the intarwebs:

    >>> Cheers for that suggestion, just had a browse on trademe and can't see
    >>> one on there. Will check again in a week or so.

    >> Why waist money when all you need is the XP driver
    >>

    >> Try these links
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295318
    >>
    >> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=82026
    >>
    >> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=111936

    >I dont beleive its a driver issue, the driver included with XP has
    >always worked fine in the past. It think misfit was on the right path
    >when he mentioned BIOS options and things.
    >
    >PS: its waste, not waist.

    It has nothing at All to do with BIOS, Misfit is a utter joke and has no
    Electronic or Computer Training, and has often been attacked in this news
    group, and seems to post in a stack of other groups, may be that why he is
    hated so much.

    Its his Kill files that he rants on about all the time, I think is bigger than
    his PC.

    So from experience I would take any thing the Misfit posts as a utter joke..
    Mary Hanna, Oct 26, 2009
  16. Squiggle

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:59:16 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Squiggle wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Try these links
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295318
    >>>
    >>> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=82026
    >>>
    >>> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=111936

    >> I dont beleive its a driver issue, the driver included with XP has
    >> always worked fine in the past. It think misfit was on the right path
    >> when he mentioned BIOS options and things.
    >>
    >> PS: its waste, not waist.

    >And it's Woger, not billsmith. Which raises the question, does a
    >billsmith make duck components? ;-)

    Did you look at the header as you will find that the poster is using Agent

    I use Agent X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171
    Mary Hanna, Oct 26, 2009
  17. Squiggle

    EMB Guest

    Mary Hanna wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:59:16 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Squiggle wrote:

    >>> I dont beleive its a driver issue, the driver included with XP has
    >>> always worked fine in the past. It think misfit was on the right path
    >>> when he mentioned BIOS options and things.
    >>>
    >>> PS: its waste, not waist.

    >> And it's Woger, not billsmith. Which raises the question, does a
    >> billsmith make duck components? ;-)

    > Did you look at the header as you will find that the poster is using Agent
    >

    > I use Agent X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171

    Albasani X-Nntp-posting-Host headers can be decoded, just to confirm
    your tone, trolling, use of Avast! and spelling which were enough to
    identify your sock puppet.
    EMB, Oct 26, 2009
  18. Squiggle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:56:25 +1300, Squiggle <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> Why waist money when all you need is the XP driver
    >>>

    >>> Try these links
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295318
    >>>
    >>> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=82026
    >>>
    >>> http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=111936

    >> I dont beleive its a driver issue, the driver included with XP has
    >> always worked fine in the past. It think misfit was on the right path
    >> when he mentioned BIOS options and things.
    >>
    >> PS: its waste, not waist.

    > At least I have been involved with computers a lot longer that any
    > one here, Plus being train on them..

    LOL, another Woger pseudonym for the bit-bucket. Man, he must be desperate
    for attention. I can't imagine wanting to play with people who don't want to
    play with me badly enough to change my disguise in excess of 100 times in an
    atempt to fool them.

    Who was it around here who used to keep a list of Woger's nyms? Last time I
    saw it it was over 100 and that was at least 10 nyms ago, more likely 20.

    Sad. <plonk>
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 26, 2009