Problems with Games with 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Don Whaley, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. Don Whaley

    Don Whaley Guest

    I have been having some rather disappointing problems with games on Windows
    64 bit XP Pro. Aside from some of my normal programs not working on the 64
    bit platform almost any game I play seems to cause my computer to lock up
    after a few minutes of play. The two games I have had serious and consistent
    problems with are Command and Conquer Generals (with 1.07 patch) and Half
    Life 2. In either game I can either let it run on the opening screen for
    maybe 5 minutes and the computer will lock up, or I can try to play a game
    in which case lock up occurs much more rapidly. The screen looks normal,
    just no response from the computer. The audio will also stick to whatever
    the last noise was prior to lockup. An oddity was Counterstrike Source in
    which I could run the video stress test (a very good 140's average fps) and
    could even run the game for quite a while with no problems.

    I tried a copy of 32 bit windows XP Pro and it seemed to work fine, just a
    little slower. I reformatted and reinstalled my 64bit copy and am still
    having the same game problems.

    I have found very inconsistent response online so far, i.e. some people have
    horrible problems with 64 bit and some have none. My hardware is listed
    below. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated
    (including telling me if Windows will do a return/exchange with me for 32
    bit if nothing works out). On these lines can I install Windows 32 bit XP
    Pro that I got on a Dell if I contact Microsoft (it did not come with the
    actual Windows cd so I am guessing not, but figured I would ask).

    My temps have been normal (degrees Celcius): Mobo in low 40's, CPU in 30's,
    Video card in low 50's high 40's.

    Thanks for the help.

    Windows XP x64 Professional

    Asus A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard

    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+

    1024 MB RAM - A Data

    Arrow Max 550 W Power Supply

    MSI NVidia 7800GTX Video

    80mm fan in front

    120mm fan in rear

    Extra in case fan blowing out rear
    Don Whaley, Sep 5, 2005

  2. On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:15:51 -0400, "Don Whaley" <>
    wrote:

    >I have been having some rather disappointing problems with games on Windows
    >64 bit XP Pro.

    >MSI NVidia 7800GTX Video

    Which Nvidia driver version do you have installed? That may help
    people make a more accurate guess about your problem.
    J. Eric Durbin, Sep 5, 2005

  3. Don Whaley

    Don Whaley Guest

    The video driver is nVidia ForceWare 78.01 (released just a few days/week
    ago). The problem was actually resolved by another user on Asus' forum who
    told me it was their sound driver. Indeed, I uninstalled Asus' driver and
    installed NVidia's and it works fine now. BEWARE Asus mobo users, their
    sound drivers are apparently NOT 64 bit compatible yet.

    Don

    Don Whaley, Sep 6, 2005
  4. I given up on playing with X64,all my games are freezing BESIDES
    Generals,Generals is the only game so far that i can play hours upon hours
    without any problem.

    Tried:
    HL2
    Fable
    Doom3
    =?Utf-8?B?bG9zdHdvcmQ=?=, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Don Whaley

    warpsix Guest

    lostword wrote:
    > I given up on playing with X64,all my games are freezing BESIDES
    > Generals,Generals is the only game so far that i can play hours upon hours
    > without any problem.
    >
    > Tried:
    > HL2
    > Fable
    > Doom3

    Battlefield 2 works great and so does halo
    in fact most of my games work fine.I would be looking for the problem
    drivers and checking the logs.
    warpsix, Sep 10, 2005
  6. Don Whaley

    Guest

    Half Life 2 is no problem using Gigabyte ATI X800 & x64.

    The only program I can't run is google earth.
    , Sep 11, 2005