    The camera is only a couple of years old and hardly ever used.
    Any suggestions other than buying a Canon??

    Respectfully, Bob

    Bob Loblaw, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Bob Loblaw

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:33:52 -0500, Bob Loblaw
    <> wrote:

    >After having problems with my Kodak LS443 reading my Lexar memory card,
    >I tried to upgrade my firmware version. Every time I attempt to copy the
    >file to my camera from my computer via both docking station or usb
    >cable, it says the memory needs to be formatted, which I have done (both
    >internal and card). It then says it can't be formatted. Also, I have
    >installed the latest version of Easyshare software. The camera is
    >recognized by my computer when I connect it, and it shows up in device
    >manager as a Kodak LS443, but when I open Explorer, it just shows it as
    >"G" drive. I have tried removing the memory card and transfering the
    >firmware to the internal memory, but I still get an error message about
    >formatting.
    >Kodak online support was no help, suggesting I take it in for repair.
    >The camera is only a couple of years old and hardly ever used.
    >Any suggestions other than buying a Canon??
    >
    >Respectfully, Bob

    Have you tried another card? Does it work?
    Maybe the card is bad.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Mar 8, 2005

  3. Bob Loblaw

    Bob Loblaw Guest

    Big Bill wrote:

    > Have you tried another card? Does it work?
    > Maybe the card is bad.

    Ummmm.....below is a direct copy-and-paste from my original post...
    >I have tried removing the memory card and transfering the
    >firmware to the internal memory, but I still get an error message about
    >formatting.

    Respectfully, Bob

    Bob Loblaw, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Bob Loblaw

    Guest

    Bob Loblaw wrote:

    > Big Bill wrote:
    >
    > > Have you tried another card? Does it work?
    > > Maybe the card is bad.

    > Ummmm.....below is a direct copy-and-paste from my original post...

    We can read just fine, thanksabunch. But now that you re-spoke
    yourself:

    >>I have tried removing the memory card and transfering the
    >>firmware to the internal memory, but I still get an error message

    about
    >>formatting.

    Wow! Removing the card illicited the same behaviour as having the
    card! This immediately leads to one asking: "did you try another
    card? Does that work? Maybe the card is bad." Do I hear an echo?

    , Mar 9, 2005
  5. Bob Loblaw

    Bob Loblaw Guest

    wrote:

    > Wow! Removing the card illicited the same behaviour as having the
    > card! This immediately leads to one asking: "did you try another
    > card? Does that work? Maybe the card is bad." Do I hear an echo?

    According to Kodak's website , the firmware can be applied to either a
    memory card or the internal memory, soooooooo, if I remove the memory
    card, it is "out of the picture".

    Respectfully, Bob

    Bob Loblaw, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Bob Loblaw

    Guest

    Bob Loblaw wrote:

    >> Wow! Removing the card illicited the same behaviour as having the
    >> card! This immediately leads to one asking: "did you try another
    >> card? Does that work? Maybe the card is bad." Do I hear an echo?

    > According to Kodak's website , the firmware can be applied to either

    > memory card or the internal memory, soooooooo, if I remove the memory

    > card, it is "out of the picture".

    You chew out Bill Funk for not reading your posting (when he did), and
    now you chew me out because _you_ failed to mention the above fact in
    your original posting. Cool! My only remaining advice flows from your
    demonstrated intellectual dishonesty: take your trolling BS and pound
    it back from whence it came, sirrah. (You might also want to take
    Kodak up on its offer.)

    , Mar 9, 2005
  7. Bob Loblaw

    Bob Loblaw Guest

    wrote:

    > You chew out Bill Funk for not reading your posting (when he did), and
    > now you chew me out because _you_ failed to mention the above fact in
    > your original posting. Cool! My only remaining advice flows from your
    > demonstrated intellectual dishonesty: take your trolling BS and pound
    > it back from whence it came, sirrah. (You might also want to take
    > Kodak up on its offer.)

    It's not my fault that you embarassed yourself.
    Next time, take the time to read the entire post, or have someone read
    it to you. Better yet, don't try to answer a question that you don't
    have the knowledge to answer in the first place.
    My question isn't even remotely close to being a "troll".
    It's quite legit.
    You , however, are bogus!
    Next time, if you don't know the answer to a question, STFU!

    Bob

    Bob Loblaw, Mar 9, 2005
  8. Bob Loblaw

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:26:09 -0500, Bob Loblaw
    <> wrote:

    >Big Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried another card? Does it work?
    >> Maybe the card is bad.

    >Ummmm.....below is a direct copy-and-paste from my original post...
    > >I have tried removing the memory card and transfering the
    > >firmware to the internal memory, but I still get an error message about
    > >formatting.

    >Respectfully, Bob

    Yes, I saw that.
    My question stands, though. That does not mention another card.
    So, have you tried another card? Maybe that card is bad.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Mar 9, 2005
  9. Bob Loblaw

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:14:57 -0500, Bob Loblaw
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> You chew out Bill Funk for not reading your posting (when he did), and
    >> now you chew me out because _you_ failed to mention the above fact in
    >> your original posting. Cool! My only remaining advice flows from your
    >> demonstrated intellectual dishonesty: take your trolling BS and pound
    >> it back from whence it came, sirrah. (You might also want to take
    >> Kodak up on its offer.)
    >>

    >It's not my fault that you embarassed yourself.
    >Next time, take the time to read the entire post, or have someone read
    >it to you. Better yet, don't try to answer a question that you don't
    >have the knowledge to answer in the first place.
    >My question isn't even remotely close to being a "troll".
    >It's quite legit.
    >You , however, are bogus!
    >Next time, if you don't know the answer to a question, STFU!
    >
    >Bob

    Wow, Bob!
    You screwed up by sandbaging us, and now you tell us it's our fault.
    Maybe if you didn't get so bent because you don't tell enough to us to
    help you, you'd get more help.
    Take your own advice, and STFU.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Mar 9, 2005
  10. Bob Loblaw

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Bob Loblaw wrote:
    >

    >>Big Bill wrote:
    >>

    >>>Have you tried another card? Does it work?
    >>>Maybe the card is bad.

    >>Ummmm.....below is a direct copy-and-paste from my original post...

    > We can read just fine, thanksabunch. But now that you re-spoke
    > yourself:
    >

    >>>I have tried removing the memory card and transfering the
    >>>firmware to the internal memory, but I still get an error message

    > about
    >
    >>>formatting.

    > Wow! Removing the card illicited the same behaviour as having the
    > card! This immediately leads to one asking: "did you try another
    > card? Does that work? Maybe the card is bad." Do I hear an echo?

    The Kodak has internal memory. Removing the card means the camera
    reverts to using the internal memory, thus eliminating the card from
    consideration as the problem.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 9, 2005
  11. Bob Loblaw

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Bob Loblaw wrote:
    >

    >>>Wow! Removing the card illicited the same behaviour as having the
    >>>card! This immediately leads to one asking: "did you try another
    >>>card? Does that work? Maybe the card is bad." Do I hear an echo?

    >>According to Kodak's website , the firmware can be applied to either

    >>memory card or the internal memory, soooooooo, if I remove the memory

    >>card, it is "out of the picture".

    > You chew out Bill Funk for not reading your posting (when he did), and
    > now you chew me out because _you_ failed to mention the above fact in
    > your original posting. Cool! My only remaining advice flows from your
    > demonstrated intellectual dishonesty: take your trolling BS and pound
    > it back from whence it came, sirrah. (You might also want to take
    > Kodak up on its offer.)

    My, aren't you nice. First you misunderstand something, then when you
    are politely set straight, you get huffy.
    Intellectual dishonesty my ass!

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 9, 2005
  12. Bob Loblaw

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Big Bill wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:14:57 -0500, Bob Loblaw
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>You chew out Bill Funk for not reading your posting (when he did), and
    >>>now you chew me out because _you_ failed to mention the above fact in
    >>>your original posting. Cool! My only remaining advice flows from your
    >>>demonstrated intellectual dishonesty: take your trolling BS and pound
    >>>it back from whence it came, sirrah. (You might also want to take
    >>>Kodak up on its offer.)
    >>>

    >>It's not my fault that you embarassed yourself.
    >>Next time, take the time to read the entire post, or have someone read
    >>it to you. Better yet, don't try to answer a question that you don't
    >>have the knowledge to answer in the first place.
    >>My question isn't even remotely close to being a "troll".
    >>It's quite legit.
    >>You , however, are bogus!
    >>Next time, if you don't know the answer to a question, STFU!
    >>
    >>Bob

    > Wow, Bob!
    > You screwed up by sandbaging us, and now you tell us it's our fault.
    > Maybe if you didn't get so bent because you don't tell enough to us to
    > help you, you'd get more help.
    > Take your own advice, and STFU.

    No one sandbagged you. You just didn't have adequate knowledge of the
    camera to make an informed suggestion. NOT his fault.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 9, 2005
  13. Bob Loblaw

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Big Bill wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:26:09 -0500, Bob Loblaw
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Big Bill wrote:
    >>

    >>>Have you tried another card? Does it work?
    >>>Maybe the card is bad.

    >>Ummmm.....below is a direct copy-and-paste from my original post...
    >>
    >>>I have tried removing the memory card and transfering the
    >>>firmware to the internal memory, but I still get an error message about
    >>>formatting.

    >>Respectfully, Bob

    > Yes, I saw that.
    > My question stands, though. That does not mention another card.
    > So, have you tried another card? Maybe that card is bad.

    My some people are persistent. If the card is removed, just HOW can it
    be a problem, give that the camera can function well on the internal
    memory, and doesn't NEED a card for this operation. Maybe the card IS
    bad, but it has no bearing on the problem, once it is removed.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 9, 2005
  14. Bob Loblaw

    Big Bill Guest

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:42:00 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Big Bill wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:14:57 -0500, Bob Loblaw
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>It's not my fault that you embarassed yourself.
    >>>Next time, take the time to read the entire post, or have someone read
    >>>it to you. Better yet, don't try to answer a question that you don't
    >>>have the knowledge to answer in the first place.
    >>>My question isn't even remotely close to being a "troll".
    >>>It's quite legit.
    >>>You , however, are bogus!
    >>>Next time, if you don't know the answer to a question, STFU!
    >>>
    >>>Bob

    >> Wow, Bob!
    >> You screwed up by sandbaging us, and now you tell us it's our fault.
    >> Maybe if you didn't get so bent because you don't tell enough to us to
    >> help you, you'd get more help.
    >> Take your own advice, and STFU.
    >>

    >No one sandbagged you. You just didn't have adequate knowledge of the
    >camera to make an informed suggestion. NOT his fault.

    Not how I see it.
    Here's the OP:
[...]

    Now, looking at that, he says that after doing the upgrade, he still
    gets an error message about the memory needing to be formatted.
    I asked if he'd tried another card. A reasonable question, given that
    he was complaining about the card not working.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Mar 9, 2005
  15. Bob Loblaw

    Bob Loblaw Guest

    Big Bill wrote:

    > Now, looking at that, he says that after doing the upgrade, he still
    > gets an error message about the memory needing to be formatted.

    Read it again, Bill.
    The problem is the camera won't take the firmware upgrade. The title of
    my post is "firmware problem".

    > I asked if he'd tried another card. A reasonable question, given that
    > he was complaining about the card not working.

    The camera has a known issue with certain memory cards, hence the reason
    for trying the firmware change in the first place.
    Once I can get the camera firmware to take, the card problem will most
    likely be solved.
    That's why the card is a non-issue.

    Chill out!

    Respectfully, Bob

    Bob Loblaw, Mar 9, 2005
  16. Bob Loblaw

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Bob,

    Your best bet is to take us up on the offer. There will likely be no cost
    to you. Since you cannot update the firmware there must be something else
    going on as it is a relatively easy task. Your address shows that you are
    writing from a corporation. I wonder if you have administrative rights to
    devices you connect to your system? If not you may be restricted, although
    most situations like that result in a message letting you know that fact.

    Try the card in a different camera, and try connecting the camera to a
    different computer. See if it makes a difference. Let me know and we can
    move ahead from there.

    Talk to you soon, Bob,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Mar 9, 2005
  17. Bob Loblaw

    Bob Loblaw Guest

    Thanks for your response Ron.
    I'm taking it to Kodak in Toronto.
    I tried two computers, with and without the memory card, numerous
    formats with the camera menu, but to no avail. I'll let the pros handle
    it from here.
    That being said, this is my first digital ,and does it ever take
    beautiful pics! My only complaint is the length of time it takes from
    focus-to-shoot. You don't want to be in a hurry when taking a picture
    with it.
    Thanks again for responding!

    Respectfully, Bob

    Bob Loblaw, Mar 9, 2005
  18. Bob Loblaw

    Zenophobe Guest

    Buy a Canon.

    Zenophobe, Mar 14, 2005
  19. Bob Loblaw

    rafe bustin Guest

    rafe bustin, Mar 14, 2005
  20. Bob Loblaw

    Zenophobe Guest

    Join the rest of the world and top post from now on.

    I said to "buy a Canon." What I meant to say was: "Buy a
    high-megapixel Canon with reliable firmware." If you don't like what
    someone has to say, look up 'kill filter' in your newsreader and use
    it. Even a child knows that much.

    Zenophobe, Mar 19, 2005