Problems with FF1.0.4

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Vartkes, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. Vartkes

    Vartkes Guest

    I was running FF 1.0.4 on my Win 98 SE portable quite happily.

    (last thing I remember I (foolishly) updated the DirectX 9.0c on my PC)

    Now when I run FF, it comes up blank. The task bar
    does not respond, it fails to (even attempt) to link to my home page.
    I even had problems 'End Tasking' FF from the Task list.

    - I have uninstalled and re-installed it (no difference)
    - I have run it in safe mode (same difference)
    - I have uninstalled my pre-loader, re-installed FF1.04 (no change)

    Solution(s) please?

    I have seen this in past threads in this news group, but cannot find it now.

    Thanks in advance.

    Vartkes email:

    Vartkes, Jun 12, 2005

  2. Salut à toi *Vartkes*, tu nous disais ce dimanche 12/06/2005 dans
    <news:42ac898a$> vers 21:14:22 le mélange de mots suivant :

    > I was running FF 1.0.4 on my Win 98 SE portable quite happily.
    >
    > (last thing I remember I (foolishly) updated the DirectX 9.0c on my PC)
    >
    > Now when I run FF, it comes up blank. The task bar
    > does not respond, it fails to (even attempt) to link to my home page.
    > I even had problems 'End Tasking' FF from the Task list.
    >
    > - I have uninstalled and re-installed it (no difference)
    > - I have run it in safe mode (same difference)
    > - I have uninstalled my pre-loader, re-installed FF1.04 (no change)
    >
    > Solution(s) please?
    >
    > I have seen this in past threads in this news group, but cannot find it now.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    > Vartkes email:

    Did you try by deleting XUL.mfl in the FF working directory ? You have
    to close FF before deleting

    --
    L'erreur est de croire qu'on est seul devant ses problèmes !
    Utilisez le butineur, le lecteur de courrier et de nouvelles avec

    Michel Doucet, Jun 12, 2005

  3. Vartkes

    Skeebo Guest

    Bill Gates personally programmed DX9 to blast FF. He's doing all he can to
    kill it from withing WinXP. Dinja hear?

    Just kidding.......

    ------

    Skeebo, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Vartkes

    Vartkes Guest

    Skeebo wrote:
    > Bill Gates personally programmed DX9 to blast FF. He's doing all he
    > can to kill it from withing WinXP. Dinja hear?

    Thank you. Any more bright thoughts?

    Vartkes

    Vartkes, Jun 13, 2005
  5. Vartkes

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:14:22 +0200, in message
     <42ac898a$>, Vartkes wrote:

    > I was running FF 1.0.4 on my Win 98 SE portable quite happily.
    >
    > (last thing I remember I (foolishly) updated the DirectX 9.0c on my PC)
    >
    > Now when I run FF, it comes up blank. The task bar
    > does not respond, it fails to (even attempt) to link to my home page.
    > I even had problems 'End Tasking' FF from the Task list.
    >
    > - I have uninstalled and re-installed it (no difference)
    > - I have run it in safe mode (same difference)
    > - I have uninstalled my pre-loader, re-installed FF1.04 (no change)
    >
    > Solution(s) please?

    I would suggest deleting the entire contents of your cache,
    something uninstalling and reinstalling won't do, because
    that doesn't touch your profile(s).

    If you are running Win98SE, the default location of your cache
    may be something like this
    "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<*random*>.default\Cache"

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.

    Ralph Fox, Jun 13, 2005
  6. Vartkes

    Vartkes Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:14:22 +0200, in message
    > <42ac898a$>, Vartkes wrote:
    >

    >> I was running FF 1.0.4 on my Win 98 SE portable quite happily.
    >>
    >> (last thing I remember I (foolishly) updated the DirectX 9.0c on
    >> my PC)
    >>
    >> Now when I run FF, it comes up blank. The task bar
    >> does not respond, it fails to (even attempt) to link to my home
    >> page.
    >> I even had problems 'End Tasking' FF from the Task list.
    >>
    >> - I have uninstalled and re-installed it (no difference)
    >> - I have run it in safe mode (same difference)
    >> - I have uninstalled my pre-loader, re-installed FF1.04 (no change)
    >>
    >> Solution(s) please?

    > I would suggest deleting the entire contents of your cache,
    > something uninstalling and reinstalling won't do, because
    > that doesn't touch your profile(s).
    >
    > If you are running Win98SE, the default location of your cache
    > may be something like this
    > "C:\WINDOWS\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<*random*>.default\Cache"

    Great, thanks Ralph

    Vartkes

    Vartkes, Jun 13, 2005
  7. Vartkes

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:36:32 +0200, in message
     <42ad3872$>, Vartkes wrote:

    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    > > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:14:22 +0200, in message
    > > <42ac898a$>, Vartkes wrote:
    > >

    > >> I was running FF 1.0.4 on my Win 98 SE portable quite happily.
    > >>
    > >> (last thing I remember I (foolishly) updated the DirectX 9.0c on
    > >> my PC)
    > >>
    > >> Now when I run FF, it comes up blank. The task bar
    > >> does not respond, it fails to (even attempt) to link to my home
    > >> page.
    > >> I even had problems 'End Tasking' FF from the Task list.
    > >>
    > >> - I have uninstalled and re-installed it (no difference)
    > >> - I have run it in safe mode (same difference)
    > >> - I have uninstalled my pre-loader, re-installed FF1.04 (no change)
    > >>
    > >> Solution(s) please?

    > > I would suggest deleting the entire contents of your cache,
    > > something uninstalling and reinstalling won't do, because
    > > that doesn't touch your profile(s).
    > >
    > > If you are running Win98SE, the default location of your cache
    > > may be something like this
    > > "C:\WINDOWS\Application
    > > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<*random*>.default\Cache"
    > >

    > Great, thanks Ralph

    Did it fix the problem?

    Ralph Fox, Jun 13, 2005
  8. Vartkes

    Skeebo Guest

    -
    > >> ------ Vartkes email:

    > Skeebo wrote:
    > > Bill Gates personally programmed DX9 to blast FF. He's doing all he
    > > can to kill it from withing WinXP. Dinja hear?

    > Thank you. Any more bright thoughts?
    >
    > Vartkes

    Well, the fact that you are running a virtually obsolete OS may have
    something to do with it, but perhaps not. All I can tell you is under XP,
    FF works wonderfully for me.
    That bright enough for you?

    Skeebo, Jun 14, 2005
  9. Vartkes

    Adrian Guest

    Skeebo wrote:
    > "Vartkes" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>>"Vartkes" <> wrote in message

    > -

    >>Skeebo wrote:
    >>
    >>>Bill Gates personally programmed DX9 to blast FF. He's doing all he
    >>>can to kill it from withing WinXP. Dinja hear?

    >>Thank you. Any more bright thoughts?
    >>
    >>Vartkes

    > Well, the fact that you are running a virtually obsolete OS may have
    > something to do with it, but perhaps not. All I can tell you is under XP,
    > FF works wonderfully for me.
    > That bright enough for you?

    I am running 98se, moz 1.7.8, and updated to DX9.0c with no problems
    what so ever. BTW XP will be virtually obsolete next year when longhorn
    is released. "Hallow pot?... this is the kettle" :)
    -Adrian Down Under

    Adrian, Jun 14, 2005