Problems with external USB drive - resolved!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rustiferion, Sep 3, 2005.

  1. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    Some of you may remember the problem I had some time ago with the USB driver
    failing for an AcomData external 80G drive - the driver caused bootup pauses
    and failures, and access was denied by Windows due to an unexplained "Code
    10" error, although Windows (eventually) continued to boot completion,
    albeit without the ext. drive appearing in Win Explorer. Many helpful
    people suggested driver fixes, sadly without success. I eventually shut off
    the drive and hoped I would someday find a way to recover the data. You
    might be interested to hear what the solution was.

    I was simultaneously having problems with my email clients (Thunderbird and
    OE6) having timeout problems with all of my servers. This finally worked
    out to be an unresolvable issue with a recent upgrade to ZoneAlarmPro
    version 6. I wound up deleting the entire ZoneAlarm package from my machine
    (not an easy task) and reinstalling version 4.5, then upgrading to v5.5. Lo
    and behold, not only did the email problems disappear, but I could suddenly
    see the external drive again!

    Go figure. I don't have any explanation, but it worked for me, and it might
    work for you. The ZoneAlarm forums are rife with irate posts from
    disgruntled users of version 6, and I believe the issues may reside in their
    "True Vector Service" app (vsmon.exe). It's not an easy service to delete
    or stop, but it works well if you roll it back to pre-6.0 strength.

    regards
    ~RL
    Rustiferion, Sep 3, 2005

  2. Rustiferion

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > Go figure. I don't have any explanation, but it worked for me, and it might
    > work for you. The ZoneAlarm forums are rife with irate posts from
    > disgruntled users of version 6, and I believe the issues may reside in their
    > "True Vector Service" app (vsmon.exe). It's not an easy service to delete
    > or stop, but it works well if you roll it back to pre-6.0 strength.

    thanks for posting back.
    on one of mt XP machines i also had *severe* problems after updating zone
    alarm...
    i had to "roll back" to a previous version
    philo, Sep 3, 2005