problems with editing and saving a file on a CDRW

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rob, Mar 17, 2007.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I have a basic burner and using Roxio EX CD V5. Although I don't
    think the
    software matters, I thought one could make changes to a data document
    (like
    Word) and save the changes like normal. It's been a bit since I've
    used the
    CD RW but I can't make a change without renaming the whole document.

    Also, I thought you could change documents that were read only and I'm
    have
    problems with those attributes as well. Can anyone clue me in on if/
    how I
    can burn a word doc on a CD RW and preserve the changes to the
    original
    document?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

    Rob, Mar 17, 2007

  2. Rob

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    >I have a basic burner and using Roxio EX CD V5. Although I don't
    > think the
    > software matters, I thought one could make changes to a data document
    > (like
    > Word) and save the changes like normal. It's been a bit since I've
    > used the
    > CD RW but I can't make a change without renaming the whole document.
    >
    > Also, I thought you could change documents that were read only and I'm
    > have
    > problems with those attributes as well. Can anyone clue me in on if/
    > how I
    > can burn a word doc on a CD RW and preserve the changes to the
    > original
    > document?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Rob

    You can't use a CDRW as a "floppy disk" unless you are running "packet
    writing" software, and format the disc first. For Roxio, it was called
    "DirectCD", if I remember correctly. Also, Roxio EZ CD Creator V5 (unless
    patched) is not fully compatible with Windows XP SP1 and SP2. I don't know
    if they still have the patches on the Roxio website - it is quite an old
    version now.

    You may encounter a whole different set of problems using Direct CD though.
    Most packet writing software seems to me somewhat unreliable; files/discs
    fail too often. Plus it often interferes with the autorun feature of
    Windows.

    What I do instead is work my data files on the hard drive, then burn backup
    copies to the CDRW. And since discs can fail, I also backup to the HD on my
    other computer (I have two running.) No way am I going to trust my data to
    one backup, especially one disc.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 17, 2007