Problems with Easyshare and HP printer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Marily J, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Marily J

    Marily J Guest

    Hi--we like to use the HP image editor, however, it is really
    difficult to get to it with Kodak Easyshare software loaded. I did
    manage to get to the image editor in HP (model 2100), however, when I
    went to print it pulled up the Easyshare software. In fact, since I
    loaded the Easyshare software, I couldn't print any of my jpg
    files--they don't show up in the directory, and if I go to it from my
    computer I can't figure out how to pull up jpg files in the print menu
    from HP. This is a big problem for my mother (listen, if I can't do
    it, she'll have that problem cubed). Can you offer any advice? I
    suppose this was supposed to be helpful, but why does the software
    have to hijack existing software????

    Okay--pissing and moaning aside, what I really would like to know is
    how I can go to my image printer in HP and get the images when
    Easyshare hijacks all the rights to the images.

    Help would be appreciated,

    Ellen (Marilyn's daughter)
    Ellen.
    Marily J, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Marily J

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Marilyn,

    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Actually, EasyShare does not hijack your
    images. Rather, there is an option upon install that asks if you want to
    associate jpg and other image file types with EasyShare. If you choose yes,
    then it associates EasyShare to them. This means when you want to open an
    associated file, i.e. jpg, bmp, etc. EasyShare will open and display the
    image.

    If you want to change the association of a program designated to open a file
    type (image file in this case) by your operating system, you need to
    associate the file type with the program you want to use. In the future,
    any file you want to open of this kind will use the program you have chosen.
    For example, if you want all JPG files to be opened by the 'HP Editor' even
    when reviewing on the web, this is the program that will open and be used by
    your operating system.

    For most Windows programs, you can change which program starts when you open
    a file by:

    Clicking on My Computer or opening Windows Explorer

    Choose the Folder Option from the View menu.

    Click the File Types tab

    In the list of file types, click the one you want to change, i.e. JPG

    Click Edit.

    In the Actions, click Open.

    Click Edit.

    In Application Used to Perform Action, enter the program you want to use to
    open files that have this extension, or browse your hard drive to find it,
    then click OK.

    Note: The settings for selected file types are shown in File Type Details.

    Remember, however, that you will not be able to use the features of
    EasyShare if not used. You mention that you want to print as well. If you
    want to use Kodak paper, you might want to consider the OneTouch option.
    When in EasyShare and using Kodak paper, One Touch will set your printer
    driver to optimize for the Kodak paper chosen. If not using Kodak paper the
    driver reverts to normal.

    Let me know if you have an interest and I will help, if you like.

    Talk to you soon, Marilyn,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 4, 2003