Problems with DVD layout

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Daniel, May 16, 2005.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    I'm having problems trying to make a DVD & get more than 2 hrs to fit on it.
    I was recently able to compress the bitrate down to get 129 minutes to fit
    on 2GB of files but then when I put them into the DVD layout (using
    NeroVision Express that came with my burner) it makes that same 2GB end up
    over 3GB. Same when I had 4GB of files that it stretched into 5.2GB. What is
    causing this? Also I'd like to get VCD onto DVD. I've read that you can make
    a VCD-DVD the same way as a VCD just have to convert the audio to 48KHz
    (instead of VCD 44.1). I try this but again Nero wants to convert it to
    MPEG2 & make the 352x240 be 352x480 & still only fit about 2 hrs per disk.
    What is being done wrong here, or is it just the wrong software? Is there a
    better program that will let me burn any of the standard
    resolutions/framerats/settings of video to a DVD disk & also to be able to
    get more than 2hrs per disk?

    Also what is the best bitrate to use for MPEG2 (720x480) & other
    resolutions? (in other words, what is too compressed...I know this mainly
    depends on the motion & change in the video, but what is a good standard to
    look at?)

    Also is there something that lets me have better control over menues? I'd
    like multiple layers of submenues & better control over what chapters are
    played (for example, selecting something in the menue to make it only play
    ch2, 3, 5, 6, 8, then return to the menue).

    There are 10 types of people in this world...
    ....those who understand binary & those who dont.
    Daniel, May 16, 2005

  2. Daniel

    Biz Guest

    Have a read of the DVD FAQ, especially the sections on the audio and video
    details, it might help you out.

    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4 for video

    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.6 for audio

    One thing you probably are not doing is using somethign other than PCM for
    the audio, which will save you a ton of space. YOu really need to use Mmp2
    or ac-3 audio. Look into real dvd authoring software, like Tmpgenc DVD
    Author(TDA), or DVD Lab...

    Biz, May 16, 2005