    -R was defunct technology

    HELP

    PAUL
    Homeworker, Sep 27, 2006

  2. Homeworker

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:45:58 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    wrote:

    >whats going on folks !
    >
    >Brand new pioneer DVR 111D installed on XP
    >
    >media hispace DVD+R 4.78gb
    >
    >error report sayting
    >""Compilation cannot be written to that media type
    >( medium in drive DVD+R , media required by compilation : CD-R/RW ) ""
    >
    >Pioneer should be able to burn anything ??? yes ??
    >also was sold on basis it would burn anything , i thought also that
    >-R was defunct technology

    Does the manual state the drive can use +R media? +R/+RW is different
    than -R/-RW.
    Evan Platt, Sep 27, 2006

  3. Homeworker

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Homeworker wrote:
    > whats going on folks !
    >
    > Brand new pioneer DVR 111D installed on XP
    >
    > media hispace DVD+R 4.78gb
    >
    > error report sayting
    > ""Compilation cannot be written to that media type
    > ( medium in drive DVD+R , media required by compilation : CD-R/RW ) ""
    >
    > Pioneer should be able to burn anything ??? yes ??
    > also was sold on basis it would burn anything , i thought also that
    > -R was defunct technology

    Have another look at the error message Paul. It looks like you may
    have selected to burn to CD, not DVD, and you have a DVD in the drive.

    BTW, -R is far from "defunct technology"

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Sep 27, 2006
  4. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    > Does the manual state the drive can use +R media? +R/+RW is different
    > than -R/-RW.

    No Manual I am afriad , bought OEM bare

    My firmware is latest from website 1.29

    PAUL

    Homeworker, Sep 28, 2006
  5. Homeworker

    PeeCee Guest

    "Homeworker" <> wrote in message
    > whats going on folks !
    >
    > Brand new pioneer DVR 111D installed on XP
    >
    > media hispace DVD+R 4.78gb
    >
    > error report sayting
    > ""Compilation cannot be written to that media type
    > ( medium in drive DVD+R , media required by compilation : CD-R/RW ) ""
    >
    > Pioneer should be able to burn anything ??? yes ??
    > also was sold on basis it would burn anything , i thought also that
    > -R was defunct technology
    >
    > HELP
    >
    > PAUL

    Paul

    The Pioneer DVR 111D 'will' Write to virtually all optical formats except
    DVD RAM and the new HD / Blue Ray formats
    Refer to this page for a list of what it will do:
    http://www.supermediastore.com/pioneer-dvr-111d-16x-dvd-burner-bulk-black.html#description
    i.e. it does just about burn 'anything' .
    A drive that does do 1 better is the LG GSAH10A which does all the same
    formats PLUS it will write to DVD RAM disks as well.

    Now as to why it won't write to your DVD+R

    Note the statement in your error message "media required by compilation"

    This means that despite the drive being capable of writing to your DVD+R
    media, your "Compilation" requires the use of a CD-R/RW disk.
    i.e. somewhere in the software you are using to create the 'Compilation'
    (Nero?) you are starting with a format or disk type that requires a CDR or
    CDRW disk.
    For example if you are going to create a "VCD" ('V'ideo 'C'ompact 'D'isk) by
    definition you need to burn it to a CD and your software will quite
    correctly complain a DVD disk is the wrong type for a VCD.
    Note a RW disk can be used as if it was an R disk once you 'blank' it, with
    the advantage of being recycleable by re blanking it when you've finished
    experimenting.

    Have a look through the various howto's and help options on these sites:
    http://www.videohelp.com/
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
    Then go to the help option in your burning software and read up how to do it
    with that particular software.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Sep 28, 2006
  6. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    ""For example if you are going to create a "VCD" ('V'ideo 'C'ompact 'D'isk)
    by
    definition you need to burn it to a CD and your software will quite
    correctly complain a DVD disk is the wrong type for a VCD.""

    Ah !!! thats the issue , i am clicking create a CVD in nero ...many thnaks
    I have been a bit thick ! maybe ?

    I have copied recording from vid camera of brothers birthday
    and i am trying to burn it to DVD , the only real DVD option is
    to make a DATA DVD or COPY DVD , i will try it with
    data dvd although this seems instictvly wrong , please
    let me know if theres abetter option , BTW I am using nero 6 latest
    update applied

    PAUL

    Homeworker, Sep 28, 2006
  7. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    Re: problems with DVD burning : UPDATE

    Ok , problem was related to me err trying to make a VCD with a DVD
    I clearly want in thinking mode !

    Now problem I have is I have burnt a DVD DATA disk and whooosh
    it was fast , but when i put it in a standard standalone TV DVD player it
    shows an empty root so dats is not being recognised as somethiong playable

    ANY IDEAS

    PAUL

    Homeworker, Sep 28, 2006
  8. Homeworker

    EricP Guest

    Re: problems with DVD burning : UPDATE

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:27:45 GMT, "Homeworker" <>
    wrote:

    >Ok , problem was related to me err trying to make a VCD with a DVD
    >I clearly want in thinking mode !
    >
    >Now problem I have is I have burnt a DVD DATA disk and whooosh
    >it was fast , but when i put it in a standard standalone TV DVD player it
    >shows an empty root so dats is not being recognised as somethiong playable
    >
    >ANY IDEAS

    Your DVD player can't play that particular filetype so it is blank.
    (Usually XviD)
    EricP, Sep 28, 2006
  9. Homeworker

> [...]

    >> i.e. somewhere in the software you are using to create the 'Compilation'
    >> (Nero?) you are starting with a format or disk type that requires a CDR
    >> or CDRW disk.
    >> For example if you are going to create a "VCD" ('V'ideo 'C'ompact 'D'isk)
    >> by definition you need to burn it to a CD and your software will quite
    >> correctly complain a DVD disk is the wrong type for a VCD.
    >> Note a RW disk can be used as if it was an R disk once you 'blank' it,
    >> with the advantage of being recycleable by re blanking it when you've
    >> finished experimenting.
    >>
    >> Have a look through the various howto's and help options on these sites:
    >> http://www.videohelp.com/
    >> http://www.cdrfaq.org/
    >> http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
    >> Then go to the help option in your burning software and read up how to do

    Paul

    What you need is a DVD authoring program like Nero Vision, Cyberlink Power
    Producer or Power Director, Ulead Video Studio 9/10 etc. Have a look at the
    software that came with your drive, though being OEM the package is likely
    to be the 'Express' or stripped down version and not include any software of
    that ilk.

    If you don't have Nero Vision in your OEM bundle then consider up grading to
    Nero 7 Premium which includes the full versions of the entire Nero Suite.
    Have a look through the icons installed with your OEM copy of Nero and you
    should find a link to a cut price upgrade as an OEM user.

    Alternatively watch the Magazine CD/DVD covermounts as you will often get a
    perfectly useable early version of such software on them. eg Ulead Video
    Studio 8SE on a PCWorld Books DVD.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Sep 28, 2006
  10. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    Thnak for your help thru this learning curve
    now successfully burnt a small movie to dvd
    using ULEAD visual studio..

    ONE last question , anybody know how LONG in hours and minutes
    a standard Cd will take when burning a VCD format to it ?

    PAUL

    Homeworker, Sep 28, 2006
  11. Homeworker

    > Thnak for your help thru this learning curve
    > now successfully burnt a small movie to dvd
    > using ULEAD visual studio..
    >
    > ONE last question , anybody know how LONG in hours and minutes
    > a standard Cd will take when burning a VCD format to it ?
    >
    > PAUL
    > "Homeworker" <> wrote in message
    >> whats going on folks !
    >>
    >> Brand new pioneer DVR 111D installed on XP
    >>
    >> media hispace DVD+R 4.78gb
    >>
    >> error report sayting
    >> ""Compilation cannot be written to that media type
    >> ( medium in drive DVD+R , media required by compilation : CD-R/RW ) ""
    >>
    >> Pioneer should be able to burn anything ??? yes ??
    >> also was sold on basis it would burn anything , i thought also that
    >> -R was defunct technology
    >>
    >> HELP
    >>
    >> PAUL

    Paul

    The capacity is roughly 70 something minutes for VCD, 40 minutes for SVCD

    If you are asking how long it will take to create and burn the VCD from your
    video clips etc then that will depend very much on your PC. ie Processor
    speed, RAM etc.

    If for example you are creating a DVD Video, for playing on a regular home
    entertainment DVD player, from a wide range of different video and audio
    formats then the compile time is like to run into several hours as your
    Suite converts from the various formats. The actual burn to DVD will
    probably only take 10 minutes or so.

    Creating DVD's has the most demanding horsepower requirement of just about
    any software on today's PC's.

    A comment about posting a reply if I may (respectfully) it is convention in
    news groups to add one's comments at the bottom of the text, not the top.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Sep 28, 2006
  12. Homeworker

    Homeworker Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > "Homeworker" <> wrote in message
    >> Thnak for your help thru this learning curve
    >> now successfully burnt a small movie to dvd
    >> using ULEAD visual studio..
    >>
    >> ONE last question , anybody know how LONG in hours and minutes
    >> a standard Cd will take when burning a VCD format to it ?
    >>
    >> PAUL
    >> "Homeworker" <> wrote in message
    >>> whats going on folks !
    >>>
    >>> Brand new pioneer DVR 111D installed on XP
    >>>
    >>> media hispace DVD+R 4.78gb
    >>>
    >>> error report sayting
    >>> ""Compilation cannot be written to that media type
    >>> ( medium in drive DVD+R , media required by compilation : CD-R/RW ) ""
    >>>
    >>> Pioneer should be able to burn anything ??? yes ??
    >>> also was sold on basis it would burn anything , i thought also that
    >>> -R was defunct technology
    >>>
    >>> HELP
    >>>
    >>> PAUL

    > Paul
    >
    > The capacity is roughly 70 something minutes for VCD, 40 minutes for SVCD
    >
    > If you are asking how long it will take to create and burn the VCD from
    > your video clips etc then that will depend very much on your PC. ie
    > Processor speed, RAM etc.
    >
    > If for example you are creating a DVD Video, for playing on a regular home
    > entertainment DVD player, from a wide range of different video and audio
    > formats then the compile time is like to run into several hours as your
    > Suite converts from the various formats. The actual burn to DVD will
    > probably only take 10 minutes or so.
    >
    > Creating DVD's has the most demanding horsepower requirement of just about
    > any software on today's PC's.
    >
    > A comment about posting a reply if I may (respectfully) it is convention
    > in news groups to add one's comments at the bottom of the text, not the
    > top.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Ok many thnaks for your help it is much appreciate , I thinking
    my learning curve is now enough to complete what I need to , 70 mins
    of video on a standard CD is great so i will likly use that option as
    chngiung format to DVD and burning it seems a lot slower.

    Top/Bottom posting...phew let not open that can of worms
    we will both be still in this thread a month from now !!
    Homeworker, Sep 28, 2006
  13. Homeworker

    Kluck Guest

    On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:45:58 +0000, Homeworker wrote:

    > error report sayting
    > ""Compilation cannot be written to that media type ( medium in drive DVD+R
    > , media required by compilation : CD-R/RW ) ""

    Read the error message until you understand it.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Kluck, Sep 28, 2006