    CD? Any help or direction with the software I have would also be
    appreciated.

    Thanks

    Jeff, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Jeff

    The Wizard Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    news:qgIxe.68913$...
    | This might be a question for another NG but maybe not, if it is just let
    me
    | know. Here is my problem. I have purchased three different pieces of
    | software such as Nitro Burn and Go, this is the type software that the
    | developers say "All you need is a DVD Player and CD Burner, no DVD Burner
    | neccesary". I am trying to install it on a 1.7 Ghz Celeron with 1GB Ram.
    Two
    | of the three always fail during installation even though the computer
    | exceeds the minimum requirements and one, although it does install will do
    | nothing as far as the burning process goes. So I am wondering, is there a
    | good piece of FREE software out there that will do the same? Burn DVD's to
    | CD? Any help or direction with the software I have would also be
    | appreciated.

    Apologies in advance but your question is a little vague.

    You could be attempting to copy a full DVD to a single CD?

    If so it can't be done unless it's converted to Divx format (As Far as I
    remember)

    The only normal way is to be making VCD which speads the movie over 2 CD's
    or (3 CD's for a SVCD)
    I looked for all kinds of *quicker* ways before getting a DVD Writer (A Lot
    cheaper to buy now BTW)
    The only software I can remember is Flask DVD that ripped the DVD to your
    Hard Drive and then other programs were needed to convert the ripped files
    to Mpeg 2 files.

    Your PC's specs seem to be o-k for VCD Making (though expect conversion to
    take ages)
    The best way to explain that is imagine the movie being played a frame at a
    time rather than normal speed!
    You could have a long read of www.vcdhelp.com which gives a list of programs
    and info on how to use them to their best ability (Great Site but a takes a
    little while to choose from the instructions which software best suits you)
    To be totally truthful you'd save yourself a lot of time buying a DVD burner
    and just download DVD Shrink or DVD Decryptor along with Nero.

    I'm sure some other good helper on the group will point you to easier
    software to use if you wish to continue making VCD...As long as you remember
    the full movie will not fit onto a single CD unless converted to Divx and
    then it won't play on your TV's DVD Player unless it states it plays Divx
    encoded discs.

    Check the site mentioned though for more info

    T.W.

    The Wizard, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Jeff

    Large Farva Guest

    It would be cheaper and easier to just buy a DVD burner. If you can't afford
    the $50 then you shouldn't be worried about getting DVD's in the first
    place.

    Large Farva, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Jeff

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:41:20 GMT, "Large Farva" <>
    wrote:

    >It would be cheaper and easier to just buy a DVD burner. If you can't afford
    >the $50 then you shouldn't be worried about getting DVD's in the first
    >place.

    If you don't mind last year's model, the NEC 3520 is being sold at a
    low price to make way for the 3540. I have seen it as low as $44 at
    Directron and $40 at Newegg.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "The possession of arms is the distinction
    between a free man and a slave."
    -- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)

    Bob, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Jeff

    Billy Joe Guest

    > "Jeff" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > I looked for all kinds of *quicker* ways before getting a DVD
    > Writer (A Lot cheaper to buy now BTW)
    > The only software I can remember is Flask DVD that ripped the
    > DVD to your Hard Drive and then other programs were needed to
    > convert the ripped files to Mpeg 2 files.

    Only butting in here to correct any misunderstanding of FlaskMPEG.

    It ONLY converts unencrypted MPEG (including that in VOB container whether
    or not indexed by an IFO). "Ripping" need be performed by other means.

    The last version, sadly quite old now, cured many of the justified
    complaints with earlier versions and now has a relatively easy interface to
    navigate its reformatting complexities.

    If one was going to convert unsubtitled MPEG2 from IFO/VOB to
    MPEG4/Divx/Xvid in AVI structure, there is simply no better way - although
    there are other ways.

    <snip>

    Billy Joe, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "Large Farva" <> wrote in message
    > It would be cheaper and easier to just buy a DVD burner. If you can't

    afford
    > the $50 then you shouldn't be worried about getting DVD's in the first
    > place.
    >

    > "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > > This might be a question for another NG but maybe not, if it is just let
    > > me
    > > know. Here is my problem. I have purchased three different pieces of
    > > software such as Nitro Burn and Go, this is the type software that the
    > > developers say "All you need is a DVD Player and CD Burner, no DVD

    Burner
    > > neccesary". I am trying to install it on a 1.7 Ghz Celeron with 1GB Ram.
    > > Two
    > > of the three always fail during installation even though the computer
    > > exceeds the minimum requirements and one, although it does install will

    do
    > > nothing as far as the burning process goes. So I am wondering, is there

    > > good piece of FREE software out there that will do the same? Burn DVD's

    > > CD? Any help or direction with the software I have would also be
    > > appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Bought one, brand new at the Lost Luggage Outlet in Tennessee for 8 bucks.

    Jeff, Jul 7, 2005
  7. Jeff

    Kill Bill Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > This might be a question for another NG but maybe not, if it is just let
    > me
    > know. Here is my problem. I have purchased three different pieces of
    > software such as Nitro Burn and Go, this is the type software that the
    > developers say "All you need is a DVD Player and CD Burner, no DVD Burner
    > neccesary". I am trying to install it on a 1.7 Ghz Celeron with 1GB Ram.
    > Two
    > of the three always fail during installation even though the computer
    > exceeds the minimum requirements and one, although it does install will do
    > nothing as far as the burning process goes. So I am wondering, is there a
    > good piece of FREE software out there that will do the same? Burn DVD's to
    > CD? Any help or direction with the software I have would also be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    I used to use EazyVCD here http://www.arach.net.au/~phatjeff/index.htm it's
    simple, free and works great. Read the FAQ.
    I used the XVCD option which maxes out the bitrate over a certain # of cd's.
    I used to choose the MPEG option and then just burn a VideoCD with Nero.
    You're gonna want to use 2 cd's for most dvd's. Otherwise the quality is
    crap. 2 discs isn't bad though. Good way to copy for kids or to leave at
    work.

    Kill Bill, Jul 7, 2005