    suggestions and inputs are appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Shailendra Batham
    batham, Aug 30, 2005

  2. batham

    PC Guest

    "batham" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Guys,
    >
    > I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 XT, when I connect my PC to a Sony TV
    > using S-Video cable, for some reason I don't get a good quality on my
    > TV. Is this how it's suppose to be. I thought you should get a clear
    > picture on the TV too. How do I achieve that.
    >
    > Anyways I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA and I am running it on
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea why the quality is so bad on the TV, any
    > suggestions and inputs are appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shailendra Batham

    Shailendra

    Most folk find the quality of a PC screen displayed on a TV disappointing,
    particularly text.

    The reason is because TV's are not designed for resolutions much beyond 720
    x 576 pixels, even the much heralded 'HDTV' is not much beyond 1000 pixels
    wide. If you look at your PC's screen resolution (right click desktop,
    Settings tab) you'll see it's probably at least 800 x 600 if not more
    (common resoulution these days is 1024 x 768)
    Consequently a lot of the 'resolution' that goes down the wire to the TV
    just get's thrown away.

    As long as a DVD played from your Computer looks the same as playing from a
    DVD ( both out to your TV) then that is the best you're going to get.

    Regards
    Paul.
    PC, Aug 30, 2005

  3. batham

    Knackered Guest

    "batham" <> wrote in message
    > Guys,
    >
    > I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 XT, when I connect my PC to a Sony TV
    > using S-Video cable, for some reason I don't get a good quality on my
    > TV. Is this how it's suppose to be. I thought you should get a clear
    > picture on the TV too. How do I achieve that.
    >
    > Anyways I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA and I am running it on
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea why the quality is so bad on the TV, any
    > suggestions and inputs are appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shailendra Batham

    Well PC Paul has got the basics correct, but he has forgotten to give
    you the solution!
    A few things you can do..................
    Your TV set if a CRT at 625 pal/secam or 525 ntsc requires the resolution
    to be 800 x 600.
    Right click the desktop as PC instructs,
    Draw slider down so as to set at 800 x 600
    also set "color quality" down to 16 bit
    Click apply button, click ok button
    play DVD, and enjoy, the image onscreen will be perfect, But..........
    Your PC display resolution will also be changed, and not so clever!
    So after each DVD playback, you will have to reset the display
    configuration for your PC display.
    Alternatively..............
    Configure your GeForce card (And your version is a star)
    In Control Panel double-click the "NVIDIA nView Desktop manager"
    Click the "Hot Keys" tab.
    here you will find a selection of Actions that are assigned keys-
    By Default "Switch to next display" is already added to actionable
    window. (It will all make sense when you actually see it.)
    the keys for this action are usually Alt+F5
    The purpose is that you are going to configure that your second
    display (Your CRT TV set) has the desired resolution.
    So when playing a DVD on TV, by hitting those keys it will
    change the resolution for output via S-video to TV and disable
    your monitor PC. (But as the settings for monitor and TV will
    be different, either one or other, but not both at same time.)
    Then to revert back to PC and correct settings for PC monitor
    just hit the hot keys again.
    First you have to configure the display resolution for the TV.
    Click the "Info" tab
    Now click the "Display Settings"
    In the ensuing dialog box click on the "Advanced" button
    Then in next dialog, click the tab headed "GeForce FX 5900"
    rummage around find TV tab, change settings.
    Click all "Apply" and "OK" buttons after making changes,
    You must reboot for the new TV out settings to take effect.
    Alternatively, there are any number of media players that
    will do all the required changes when playing a DVD via an
    S-Video TV output.
    I use Roxio Videowave7 professional, it's media player has
    a one click button for changing TV output resolution for play-
    back in pristine quality on a TV. When playback is finished
    hit the button again and PC monitor resolution is reset to it's
    correct settings. (This specific media player is compatible with
    many Graphics cards.)
    Knackered, Aug 30, 2005
  4. batham

    PC Guest

    "Knackered" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > Click the "Info" tab
    > Now click the "Display Settings"
    > In the ensuing dialog box click on the "Advanced" button
    > Then in next dialog, click the tab headed "GeForce FX 5900"
    > rummage around find TV tab, change settings.
    > Click all "Apply" and "OK" buttons after making changes,
    > You must reboot for the new TV out settings to take effect.
    > Alternatively, there are any number of media players that
    > will do all the required changes when playing a DVD via an
    > S-Video TV output.
    > I use Roxio Videowave7 professional, it's media player has
    > a one click button for changing TV output resolution for play-
    > back in pristine quality on a TV. When playback is finished
    > hit the button again and PC monitor resolution is reset to it's
    > correct settings. (This specific media player is compatible with

    Tnx for that informative expansion on my notes.
    Can't say I've tinkered to much with this side of PC's so obviously lack the
    detail experience.
    All I can say is if I want to watch TV I turn the Telly on, go computing
    turn the PC on....

    Having said that I've recently started down the Holiday photo/Video tape to
    DVD path with an Pinnacle Movie box.
    The screen on my 'main' PC is a 19" LCD, brother does that show up the grain
    on old VHS tapes!

    Catcha
    Paul
    PC, Aug 30, 2005
  5. batham

    Knackered Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> S-Video TV output.
    >> I use Roxio Videowave7 professional, it's media player has
    >> a one click button for changing TV output resolution for play-
    >> back in pristine quality on a TV. When playback is finished
    >> hit the button again and PC monitor resolution is reset to it's
    >> correct settings. (This specific media player is compatible with
    >> many Graphics cards.)
    >>

    > Tnx for that informative expansion on my notes.
    > Can't say I've tinkered to much with this side of PC's so obviously lack
    > the detail experience.
    > All I can say is if I want to watch TV I turn the Telly on, go computing
    > turn the PC on....
    >
    > Having said that I've recently started down the Holiday photo/Video tape
    > to DVD path with an Pinnacle Movie box.
    > The screen on my 'main' PC is a 19" LCD, brother does that show up the

    Hi Paul
    I considered the Pinnacle firewire/DV movie box, but managed to
    find Miglia's "directors cut" scart-firewire convertor for £99.
    (ex-display, Micro Anvika, Tottenham court road, London)
    I used that for capturing VHS-to-HD in DV, but also I have a "freeview"
    digital TV PCI card and capture to HD which is used as PVR and also
    burn to DVD. But alas the digital TV PCI card hasn't got the option for
    "Top-up TV" (There are supposedly a few hacks, but I won't risk them).
    So , as UK gold is now repeating every episode of HIGNFY and Room101,
    to capture shows from "Top-up TV",- Pioneer set-top box with card -
    RGB scart out-to-Miglia DV convertor-firewire to PC, capture as DV
    (huge file size) and Use Roxio 7 pro to convert to 15mbs mpeg2 -
    Sheer bliss!
    Take care
    Knackered, Sep 1, 2005
  6. batham

    Patrickg Guest

    Your TV will never have a picture worth looking at....Sad but true...

    Patrickg, Sep 1, 2005
  7. batham

    Knackered Guest

    "Patrickg" <> wrote in message
    > Your TV will never have a picture worth looking at....Sad but true...

    How wrong you are, and how little you know...........
    But hey Paddy, thanks for joining in though you haven't
    got much to say......................
    Knackered, Sep 1, 2005