    doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound waves that one sees when
    playing music.

    Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

    Guest, Dec 22, 2008

  2. Guest

    sandy58 Guest

    On Dec 22, 10:28 pm, <> wrote:
    > I am trying to download some video from my camera onto my computer. But
    > every time I try to play it on the computer with Windows Media Player, it
    > doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound waves that one sees when
    > playing music.
    >
    > Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

    Video format is..??

    sandy58, Dec 22, 2008

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    On Dec 22, 10:28 pm, <> wrote:
    > I am trying to download some video from my camera onto my computer. But
    > every time I try to play it on the computer with Windows Media Player, it
    > doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound waves that one sees when
    > playing music.
    >
    > Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

    > Video format is..??

    ..avi

    Guest, Dec 23, 2008
  4. Guest

    Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 22, 10:28 pm, <> wrote:
    >> I am trying to download some video from my camera onto my computer. But
    >> every time I try to play it on the computer with Windows Media Player, it
    >> doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound waves that one sees when
    >> playing music.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

    >> Video format is..??

    > .avi

    GSpot is an application that pretends to play a movie, and
    identifies the codec(s) required. Since it hasn't been updated
    since Feb.2007, I don't know if it would recognize some of the
    newer (proprietary) camera formats. You can give it a try.

    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    If a Directshow filter graph can be assembled, there may be
    buttons near the bottom left of the window, which will allow
    the video to be played. In your case, my guess would be you'll
    get one of those 8 hex digit error numbers, indicating a problem.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directshow

    Codecs are the key to this. But too many codecs is a bad thing,
    because they can conflict. So simply stuffing your computer,
    with every codec pack on the face of the earth, is not the answer.

    AVI is a container, and just about anything can be stuffed inside.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVI

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 24, 2008
  5. Guest

    sandy58 Guest

    On Dec 22, 10:28 pm, <> wrote:
    > I am trying to download some video from my camera onto my computer. But
    > every time I try to play it on the computer with Windows Media Player, it
    > doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound waves that one sees when
    > playing music.
    >
    > Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

    I use VSO.
    VSO CopyToDVD & VSO ConvertXtoDVD
    But when in doubt ping Ken Maltby at "alt.video.dvd.authoring"

    sandy58, Dec 24, 2008
  6. Guest

    Neil Green Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "sandy58" <> wrote in
    > message
    > On Dec 22, 10:28 pm, <> wrote:
    >> I am trying to download some video from my camera
    >> onto my computer. But
    >> every time I try to play it on the computer with
    >> Windows Media Player, it
    >> doesn't show any image, just some sort of sound
    >> waves that one sees when
    >> playing music.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know how I can rectify this?

    >> Video format is..??

    > .avi

    Could just be a missing codec.
    Download and install K-Lite codec pack, don't install
    Media Player Classic if you'd rather use Windows Media
    Player and tell K-Lite to default to WMP.
    WMP will play anything I throw at it.
    http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

    Neil Green, Dec 26, 2008