Problems with dhcp when switching networks

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Haider Rizvi, Nov 2, 2004.

  1. Haider Rizvi

    Haider Rizvi Guest

    I have an IBM thinkpad T40 that I use to connect wirelessly to both
    work and home wireless networks. At work we use LEAP authentication
    while at home I have a 801.11G router with 128-bit WEP enabled.

    Previously I had no trouble connecting to either one of the networks.
    After the recent spate of Windows upgrades I have trouble connecting
    to my home network after I have been connected at work. Everything
    works fine after a reboot, meaning that I am now rebooting 5 times a
    week :-( Going from home to work is not a problem.

    When I come home and try connecting, my wireless is recognized but it
    gets stuck at getting dhcp. If I manually do the ipconfig, I see:

    >> ipconfig /renew

    Windows IP Configuration

    An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection
    5 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
    No operation can be performed on Ethernet while it has its media
    disconnected.

    Any thoughts on what could be the problem, or how can I debug it?

    - Haider

    Haider Rizvi, Nov 2, 2004

  2. If you are using LEAP that means you are not using Window's Wireless Zero
    Configuration service (WZC). If find that you need to reboot in order to
    get past the IP address acquisition phase, you could try disabling and
    re-enabling the wireless adapter instead (it has a similar effect). I would
    also recommend that you make sure you have the latest drivers for your
    wireless adapter. If you are going into standby or hibernate during your
    trip from work to home, you may be experiencing a standby/resume problem
    with the adapter. Such problems are usually remedied with the updating the
    driver.

    Peter Bui[MS], Nov 5, 2004