    Does anyone know what can be the problem here, and find a solution that
    doesn't need Nero

    Thank you

    saimin, Jan 28, 2004

  2. saimin

    Jerry G. Guest

    Do a properties on it, and then see if it is a read only, or is a classed as
    a system file. At the properties screen you can change the file to only be
    an archive type. This will allow you to then delete it, if something else is
    not using it.

    If the file is archive only, and it will still not delete, then there is a
    work around. You can boot in the dos mode, go the directory where it is, and
    manually delete it. If you shell to dos, this method will not work. The
    machine must be booted to dos. But, when using this method, the file is not
    recoverable.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    "saimin" <> wrote in message
    When I want to delete an AVI file, it always says that the program is in use
    by another program. I'm not playing the movie or anything, I've checked
    Taskmanager and nothing is in use.

    What's weird is, I can sometimes delete the file with through Nero after
    rebooting the computer but never by Windows Explorer.

    Jerry G., Jan 29, 2004

  3. saimin

    Thor Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > Do a properties on it, and then see if it is a read only, or is a classed

    as
    > a system file. At the properties screen you can change the file to only

    be
    > an archive type. This will allow you to then delete it, if something else

    is
    > not using it.
    >
    > If the file is archive only, and it will still not delete, then there is a
    > work around. You can boot in the dos mode, go the directory where it is,

    and
    > manually delete it. If you shell to dos, this method will not work. The
    > machine must be booted to dos. But, when using this method, the file is

    not
    > recoverable.

    Alternatively, if using Windows 2000, or XP, and you get an undeletable
    problem file you can open a command prompt window, navigate to the folder
    with the problem file, and then press CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the task
    manager. End the explorer.exe process in the processes pane, and the taskbar
    and desktop will disappear but the command prompt window will remain. Delete
    the problem file using DOS commands, and then press CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up
    the task manager again. Then click the "applications" tab, and click "new
    task". Type in "explorer.exe" and the desktop icons and taskbar will return.

    Thor, Jan 29, 2004
  4. saimin

    saimin Guest

    Thor's solution is working perfect.