Problems with DDR memory

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Colin Trunt, Jul 14, 2010.

  1. Colin Trunt

    Colin Trunt Guest

    Problems with DDR memory

    Bit of a long story so I will try to summarise.
    PC came with 256m ram. DDR400 PC3200
    I bought and exta gig and added into next slot to make 1.25 gig
    All running well for many years.
    Then upgraded to a X2 AMD 3800 processor.
    I think I had reboot with that processor, anyway a month later
    I got another gig of DDR400 PC3200

    I had problems adding that, beeps etc.
    However eventually I got running with the two 1 gig stick in the first two
    (of 4) slots.
    However I was getting reboots, about 1 every 4 hours on average (variable)

    So I went to just the new 1 gig stick i slot 1.
    That gave a reboot after 1.5 hours

    So I tried just the old 1 gig stick in slot one - results -beeps!!!
    I shifted it to slot 2 on a 'hunch' and it booted up correctly.

    It has not rebbooted on that yet but I have only been running a couple of
    hours
    so not long enough to be conclusive.

    Something I have noticed is that the first 1 gig stick I got appears to be
    high
    density, looking with the Everst utility (below) the module name 128M64K-40C
    suggests it is arranged as high density.

    However having said that it had been running fine along side what is a 256m
    low
    density module as a (rather badly) 'matched pair'

    This is the Everest info for the old suspected high density stick.

    Memory Module Properties:
    Module Name 128M64K-40C
    Serial Number 040413C3h
    Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
    Module Type Unbuffered
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Module Width 64 bit
    Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
    Error Detection Method None
    Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

    Memory Timings:
    @ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    @ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    @ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

    Memory Module Features:
    Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
    Auto-Precharge Not Supported
    Precharge All Not Supported
    Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
    Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
    Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
    On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
    Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
    Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
    Differential Clock Input Supported
    Redundant Row Address Not Supported

    Anyway it is all rather confusing.

    Some questions which occur are

    1) Why does the above stick beep in slot one yet run fine (so far) in slot
    2?
    I though I put it in slot one OK, however it is possible slot 1 is 'dirty'.

    I posted a long rambling thread about it here
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic149949.html

    Not getting any replies now, not surprising is it is so long and complicated
    and involved
    so I though I would try again here and try to summarise it a bit more
    concisely.

    I guess I will have to keep investigating and adding info until I can narrow
    the problem
    down more, even I am getting confused, I have 3 lots of memoryy from
    different manufacturers - lol. I don't think it should matter who makes it,
    however it seems a complex issue.

    Also this may be related to my earlier thread here
    "Sstem idle but CPU usage is high!!"

    Colin Trunt, Jul 14, 2010

  2. Colin Trunt

    Colin Trunt Guest

    "Colin Trunt" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > 1) Why does the above stick beep in slot one yet run fine (so far) in slot
    > 2?
    > I though I put it in slot one OK, however it is possible slot 1 is
    > 'dirty'.
    >
    > I posted a long rambling thread about it here
    > http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic149949.html
    >
    > Not getting any replies now, not surprising is it is so long and
    > complicated and involved
    > so I though I would try again here and try to summarise it a bit more
    > concisely.
    >
    > I guess I will have to keep investigating and adding info until I can
    > narrow the problem
    > down more, even I am getting confused, I have 3 lots of memoryy from
    > different manufacturers - lol. I don't think it should matter who makes
    > it, however it seems a complex issue.
    >
    > Also this may be related to my earlier thread here

    OK I am jus going to stick down some info on the modules
    for my own reference as much s anything else.

    The 256meg module whihc came with the PC is:-

    Infineon
    It is labled one the module
    HYS64D32300HU-5-C
    This is the data sheet
    http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/view/79637/INFINEON/HYS64D32300HU-5-C.html

    The 8 chips on one side only are inscribed:-
    hyb25d256800ce-5This ia data sheet
    http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/infineon/1-DS_256M_D11_rev1.11.pdf

    That one seems OK the problemic one regaarding it may be high density is:

    HYUIX 610AA A
    HY5DU12822CPT 043
    Kor

    Hard to find info on thus.
    The 128 in the description suggests it is high density.

    The last one the new 1 gig I got is

    Simmtronics

    64X8DDR P

    Colin Trunt, Jul 14, 2010

  3. Colin Trunt

    Paul Guest

    Colin Trunt wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > 1) Why does the above stick beep in slot one yet run fine (so far) in slot
    > 2?
    > I though I put it in slot one OK, however it is possible slot 1 is 'dirty'.
    >
    > I posted a long rambling thread about it here
    > http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic149949.html
    >
    > Not getting any replies now, not surprising is it is so long and complicated
    > and involved
    > so I though I would try again here and try to summarise it a bit more
    > concisely.
    >
    > I guess I will have to keep investigating and adding info until I can narrow
    > the problem
    > down more, even I am getting confused, I have 3 lots of memoryy from
    > different manufacturers - lol. I don't think it should matter who makes it,
    > however it seems a complex issue.
    >
    > Also this may be related to my earlier thread here

    A high density DDR400 would be "1 rank, (16)x 128Mx4", That is
    the kind they sell on Ebay. The info you list above is two
    ranks, meaning the module is double sided (8)x 64Mx8 for a total
    of 16 chips. That means the above listing is for a 1GB low
    density double sided module.

    (Example of a high density 1GB, mentions 128Mx4)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PC3200-1GB-DDR-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a6581d50

    Remember, that on modern AMD sockets (S754, S929, AM2/AM2+/AM3), the
    memory controller is on the processor. A "bad slot" can be bad because
    of dirty contacts. You fix that, by inserting and removing the module
    five times, with all power removed from the computer. (Don't try
    pink erasers or sandpaper, as the metal plating and the contacts
    within the slot are delicate.) Then try testing the memory again.

    A bad control signal on the processor itself, is a second reason. So
    it could be an actual bad processor, that causes a bad DIMM slot.

    You mention a processor upgrade, so if you were really interested
    in whether the slot was bad or not, you could switch back to the
    original processor, then test the RAM again.

    While the system is fully operational (using whatever RAM config
    you need to achieve that), get info for your new processor. I expect
    it is a Rev.E or later processor, but it would be good to verify
    using CPUZ. A processor like Rev.D0 would not like mismatched
    modules side by side. If the processor is Rev.E or later, then
    it should accept any mixture of RAM, and then "make up its own mind"
    whether to run in dual channel or not. Processors before that,
    are more picky. Maybe the beeping is a sign of a processor before
    Rev.E.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 15, 2010
  4. Colin Trunt

    Paul Guest

    Colin Trunt wrote:
> [...]
    >> "Sstem idle but CPU usage is high!!"
    >>

    > OK I am jus going to stick down some info on the modules
    > for my own reference as much s anything else.
    >
    > The 256meg module whihc came with the PC is:-
    >
    > Infineon
    > It is labled one the module
    > HYS64D32300HU-5-C
    > This is the data sheet
    > http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/view/79637/INFINEON/HYS64D32300HU-5-C.html
    >
    > The 8 chips on one side only are inscribed:-
    > hyb25d256800ce-5This ia data sheet
    > http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/infineon/1-DS_256M_D11_rev1.11.pdf
    >
    > That one seems OK the problemic one regaarding it may be high density is:
    >
    > HYUIX 610AA A
    > HY5DU12822CPT 043
    > Kor
    >
    > Hard to find info on thus.
    > The 128 in the description suggests it is high density.

    HY5DU12822CPT takes me here.

    http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/eng/...p?menu1=01&menu2=07&menu3=02&menuNo=1&m=7&s=2

    "HY5DU12822C(L)TP-x*I 64Mx8"

    The important thing there, is the "8" digit indicates the
    width of the chip and 8 is good (low density). If the chip
    was HY5DU124... that would be a four bit wide chip (nibble wide),
    and that would be a high density chip.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 15, 2010
  5. Colin Trunt

    Colin Trunt Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> hyb25d256800ce-5This ia data sheet
    >> http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/infineon/1-DS_256M_D11_rev1.11.pdf
    >>
    >> That one seems OK the problemic one regaarding it may be high density is:
    >>
    >> HYUIX 610AA A
    >> HY5DU12822CPT 043
    >> Kor
    >>
    >> Hard to find info on thus.
    >> The 128 in the description suggests it is high density.
    >>

    >> The last one the new 1 gig I got is
    >>
    >> Simmtronics
    >>
    >> 64X8DDR P

    > HY5DU12822CPT takes me here.
    >
    > http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/eng/...p?menu1=01&menu2=07&menu3=02&menuNo=1&m=7&s=2
    >
    > "HY5DU12822C(L)TP-x*I 64Mx8"
    >
    > The important thing there, is the "8" digit indicates the
    > width of the chip and 8 is good (low density). If the chip
    > was HY5DU124... that would be a four bit wide chip (nibble wide),

    Thanks for that thatis very helpful as it had confused me a lot.

    It was this report from Everest which confused me.
    --------[
    SPD ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    [ DIMM2: 128M64K-40C ]

    Memory Module Properties:
    Module Name 128M64K-40C
    Serial Number 040413C3h
    Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4
    banks)
    Module Type Unbuffered
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Module Width 64 bit
    Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
    Error Detection Method None
    Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us),
    Self-Refresh

    It was the module name which made me think it was high density 128M64K-40C
    unfortunately I could not find anything useful with google to confirm but
    your link is a great help!!

    Anyway I have been running very smoothly for 10 hours with just that module
    in my PC
    so it seems fine.
    The only percularity is that when I first tried it in slot one it gave
    beeps, so I put it slot 2 instead
    and I have had fine running from it.

    I am going to try it in slot one again, it should work in there really.

    I will also try the one which seems to cause reboots in slot 2 which seems
    to be a 'good slot'.

    Maybe both are good modules, I am hopinig so anyway, however id I get
    reboots on slot 2 with the
    other module (whihc I just bought) that looks pretty conclusive.

    Incidently according to the motherboard manual my motherboard should take
    either high
    or low density modules as long as they are not mixed on a channel.
    http://217.110.237.70/Manuals/7184-engl v1.x.pdf

    It also seems to say it should not boot with just a module in slot 2,
    however, it booted and
    ran fine for me!!

    Colin Trunt, Jul 15, 2010
  6. Colin Trunt

    Colin Trunt Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > A bad control signal on the processor itself, is a second reason. So
    > it could be an actual bad processor, that causes a bad DIMM slot.
    >
    > You mention a processor upgrade, so if you were really interested
    > in whether the slot was bad or not, you could switch back to the
    > original processor, then test the RAM again.
    >
    > While the system is fully operational (using whatever RAM config
    > you need to achieve that), get info for your new processor. I expect
    > it is a Rev.E or later processor, but it would be good to verify
    > using CPUZ. A processor like Rev.D0 would not like mismatched
    > modules side by side. If the processor is Rev.E or later, then
    > it should accept any mixture of RAM, and then "make up its own mind"
    > whether to run in dual channel or not. Processors before that,
    > are more picky. Maybe the beeping is a sign of a processor before

    CPU Z says BH-4E

    This is Everests CPU info:-

    CPU Properties:
    CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon
    64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+
    CPU Alias Manchester S939
    CPU Stepping BH-E4
    Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX,
    3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
    Min / Max CPU Multiplier 4x / 10x
    L1 Code Cache 64 KB (Parity)
    L1 Data Cache 64 KB (ECC)
    L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die,
    ECC, Full-Speed)

    Multi CPU:
    Motherboard ID OEM00000
    PROD00000000
    CPU #0 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
    Dual Core Processor 3800+, 1989 MHz
    CPU #1 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
    Dual Core Processor 3800+, 1989 MHz

    CPU Physical Info:
    Package Type 939 Pin uOPGA
    Package Size 4.00 cm x 4.00 cm
    Transistors 233.2 million
    Process Technology 11Mi, 90 nm, CMOS,
    Cu, SOI
    Die Size 199 mm2
    Core Voltage 1.100 - 1.400 V
    I/O Voltage 1.2 V + 2.5 V
    Maximum Power 89 - 110 W
    (depending on clock speed)

    CPU Manufacturer:
    Company Name Advanced Micro
    Devices, Inc.
    Product Information
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

    CPU Utilization:
    CPU #1 / Core #1 0 %
    CPU #1 / Core #2 3 %

    -----------------------

    Also the motherboard manual (page 18) says it will not work with 3 memeory
    modules (1, 2 or 4 only)
    That seems to be true as when I first added the new 1 gig to slot 3 (
    already 256 meg in slot 1, 1 gig in slot2)
    it was not very happy PC!!

    Anyway I think I will reboot now and see if I can get this stick to work in
    slot 1.
    It should work because I had the other new 1 gig stick working in slot 1,
    although
    it did reboot occasionally. But then with it being a new module I guess it
    would have better
    contacts so that might explain it (and perhaps the occasional reboots).

    So I will do what you said about reinserting and see what happens.

    Thanks for your help, much appreciated!!

    Colin Trunt, Jul 15, 2010
  7. Colin Trunt

> [...]

    > CPU #1 / Core #2 3 %
    >

    > -----------------------
    >

    > Also the motherboard manual (page 18) says it will not work with 3 memeory
    > modules (1, 2 or 4 only)
    > That seems to be true as when I first added the new 1 gig to slot 3 (
    > already 256 meg in slot 1, 1 gig in slot2)
    > it was not very happy PC!!
    >
    > Anyway I think I will reboot now and see if I can get this stick to work
    > in slot 1.
    > It should work because I had the other new 1 gig stick working in slot 1,
    > although
    > it did reboot occasionally. But then with it being a new module I guess it
    > would have better
    > contacts so that might explain it (and perhaps the occasional reboots).
    >
    > So I will do what you said about reinserting and see what happens.
    >
    > Thanks for your help, much appreciated!!

    Right I tried that reinsertion 'trick' and it has worked a treat, booted-up
    no problem.
    So all I need to do now it retest the new module I bought, I will put it in
    by itself to avoid any compatabilty problem, I don't want to send it back
    for them to say it works fine for them.
    Hopefully I won't have to send it back at all, if it works by itself but not
    with
    my module I can sell it on ebay (or sell the old one), and buy another of
    the same type.

    It will take a while to test though as the reboots were sporadic, I would
    want a good 12
    hours without a reboot.

    Thanks one again, you certainly know your stuff!!

    Colin Trunt, Jul 15, 2010
  8. Colin Trunt

    Paul Guest

    Colin Trunt wrote:

    > It also seems to say it should not boot with just a module in slot 2,
    > however, it booted and
    > ran fine for me!!

    That depends on the revision of processor. For processors before Revision E,
    such as D0 or CG, the statement in the manual would be correct. For Revision
    E (E3 or E6 are examples), then anything goes. You should be able to stick the
    DIMM in any slot and have it work with Revision E. That is why I wanted you to
    check the CPU revision, if you can find a utility to do it. CPUZ is available from
    cpuid.com , but there are likely others that can identify the processor.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 15, 2010
  9. Colin Trunt

    Paul Guest

    Colin Trunt wrote:
> [...]

    >> So I will do what you said about reinserting and see what happens.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help, much appreciated!!

    > Right I tried that reinsertion 'trick' and it has worked a treat, booted-up
    > no problem.
    > So all I need to do now it retest the new module I bought, I will put it in
    > by itself to avoid any compatabilty problem, I don't want to send it back
    > for them to say it works fine for them.
    > Hopefully I won't have to send it back at all, if it works by itself but not
    > with
    > my module I can sell it on ebay (or sell the old one), and buy another of
    > the same type.
    >
    > It will take a while to test though as the reboots were sporadic, I would
    > want a good 12
    > hours without a reboot.
    >

    > Thanks one again, you certainly know your stuff!!

    I think the above report, is saying your processor revision is E4.
    That means the processor supports 1,2,3, or 4 stick configurations,
    and the single stick can be placed in any slot.

    The best configuration is dual channel, and personally, if I had
    such a system, I'd probably stick 2x1GB matched in it. You can run the
    best timings, with two sticks in dual channel configuration.
    If I had a third stick, I'd just store it in the drawer, as it
    would only slow things down.

    A lot of the more recent designs, support one degree more freedom
    than your S939 system. Some now, support dual channel whenever the
    total quantity of memory on both channels is the same. On such systems,
    you could mix unmatched 1GB modules, and it would still run dual channel.
    (Or, you could put 2x512MB DIMMs on one channel, and a single 1GB DIMM
    on the other channel, and that would still be dual channel.)

    But your E4 processor doesn't do that. It had one sin correct in its
    design, but they didn't go "all the way" and fix it right. Still, on
    balance, because a user can plug any configuration into your E4, and get it
    to work, I don't count that as all bad. You can plug in any configuration,
    but some of them work better than others (higher bandwidth in dual channel).

    I find the AMD documentation dreadful, which is one reason I don't keep
    up to date on their stuff. I hate having to confirm info about memory
    configurations, because their documentation is not focused on a single
    product per document.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 15, 2010
  10. Colin Trunt

    Colin Trunt Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > you could mix unmatched 1GB modules, and it would still run dual channel.
    > (Or, you could put 2x512MB DIMMs on one channel, and a single 1GB DIMM
    > on the other channel, and that would still be dual channel.)
    >
    > But your E4 processor doesn't do that. It had one sin correct in its
    > design, but they didn't go "all the way" and fix it right. Still, on
    > balance, because a user can plug any configuration into your E4, and get
    > it
    > to work, I don't count that as all bad. You can plug in any configuration,
    > but some of them work better than others (higher bandwidth in dual
    > channel).
    >
    > I find the AMD documentation dreadful, which is one reason I don't keep
    > up to date on their stuff. I hate having to confirm info about memory
    > configurations, because their documentation is not focused on a single

    OK so I have got the result I really did not want, I had it running for
    over 7 hours on the new module in slot one, I was beginning to think
    the problem was cured when *whoosh* reboot.
    I let it boot up into windows then I started a chkdsk, but then it rebooted
    again.

    I think I only had it running about 10 hours on the other processor so it is
    possible a reboot might have occured on that processor had I left it long
    enough.

    So it looks like it is faulty but I would need more time to be 100% sure,
    I am about 90% sure at the moment, I mean it could possible be something
    else.

    Anyway I think I will burn one of those memory test CDS and hope
    that produces something conclusive.
    I expect it will find nothing unless I leave it running for hours and hours.

    Colin Trunt, Jul 15, 2010
  11. Colin Trunt

> [...]

    > OK so I have got the result I really did not want, I had it running for
    > over 7 hours on the new module in slot one, I was beginning to think
    > the problem was cured when *whoosh* reboot.
    > I let it boot up into windows then I started a chkdsk, but then it
    > rebooted again.
    >
    > I think I only had it running about 10 hours on the other processor so it
    > is
    > possible a reboot might have occured on that processor had I left it long
    > enough.
    >
    > So it looks like it is faulty but I would need more time to be 100% sure,
    > I am about 90% sure at the moment, I mean it could possible be something
    > else.
    >
    > Anyway I think I will burn one of those memory test CDS and hope
    > that produces something conclusive.
    > I expect it will find nothing unless I leave it running for hours and

    burned memtest, it semed to reboot itself during or at end of burn
    memtest then ran, it showed some error at first but i did not notice
    because I was unfamiliar with it.
    I ran it again and it showed no errors.

    I am going to burn another memest disc. As I don't think it should have
    reboote itself like it did before.

    Colin Trunt, Jul 16, 2010
  12. Colin Trunt

> [...]

    >> is
    >> possible a reboot might have occured on that processor had I left it long
    >> enough.
    >>
    >> So it looks like it is faulty but I would need more time to be 100% sure,
    >> I am about 90% sure at the moment, I mean it could possible be something
    >> else.
    >>
    >> Anyway I think I will burn one of those memory test CDS and hope
    >> that produces something conclusive.
    >> I expect it will find nothing unless I leave it running for hours and
    >> hours.
    >>

    > burned memtest, it semed to reboot itself during or at end of burn
    > memtest then ran, it showed some error at first but i did not notice
    > because I was unfamiliar with it.
    > I ran it again and it showed no errors.
    >
    > I am going to burn another memest disc. As I don't think it should have

    OK I just burned another memtest this time it completed normally
    as I expected ie without a reboot.

    So that goes down as another reboot on that memory module.

    Colin Trunt, Jul 16, 2010
  13. Colin Trunt

    > "Colin Trunt" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Colin Trunt" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> OK so I have got the result I really did not want, I had it running for
    >>> over 7 hours on the new module in slot one, I was beginning to think
    >>> the problem was cured when *whoosh* reboot.
    >>> I let it boot up into windows then I started a chkdsk, but then it
    >>> rebooted again.
    >>>
    >>> I think I only had it running about 10 hours on the other processor so
    >>> it is
    >>> possible a reboot might have occured on that processor had I left it
    >>> long
    >>> enough.
    >>>
    >>> So it looks like it is faulty but I would need more time to be 100%
    >>> sure,
    >>> I am about 90% sure at the moment, I mean it could possible be something
    >>> else.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway I think I will burn one of those memory test CDS and hope
    >>> that produces something conclusive.
    >>> I expect it will find nothing unless I leave it running for hours and
    >>> hours.
    >>>

    >> burned memtest, it semed to reboot itself during or at end of burn
    >> memtest then ran, it showed some error at first but i did not notice
    >> because I was unfamiliar with it.
    >> I ran it again and it showed no errors.
    >>
    >> I am going to burn another memest disc. As I don't think it should have
    >> reboote itself like it did before.

    > OK I just burned another memtest this time it completed normally
    > as I expected ie without a reboot.
    >
    > So that goes down as another reboot on that memory module.

    OK so I ran the new memtest CD, ran OK for 25mins then I popped
    out of the room for a couple of minutes, when I came back it had a load of
    errors.
    The scroll off the screen but the last one sere 791-799

    eg

    test ...pass..fail
    address............................good................bad..............bits........error
    no.
    ...7.......1.....000032458000- 788.3MB ad39ef05
    ad88cf05...........00b1000......791

    ....7......1........00031c58000 - 796.3mb..37f773ab7
    37ca3ab7........003d000........799

    All the bad bits were in the 3rd and 4th position.

    Test 7 is 'random digits'.

    SO I think I will contact the seller of the module

    I will also have to run memtest on my old 1 gig module just to be double
    sure.

    Colin Trunt, Jul 16, 2010
  14. Colin Trunt

    Colin Trunt, Jul 16, 2010
  15. Colin Trunt

    > "Colin Trunt" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Colin Trunt" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Colin Trunt" <> wrote in message

    >>> burned memtest, it semed to reboot itself during or at end of burn
    >>> memtest then ran, it showed some error at first but i did not notice
    >>> because I was unfamiliar with it.
    >>> I ran it again and it showed no errors.
    >>>
    >>> I am going to burn another memest disc. As I don't think it should have
    >>> reboote itself like it did before.

    >> OK I just burned another memtest this time it completed normally
    >> as I expected ie without a reboot.
    >>
    >> So that goes down as another reboot on that memory module.

    > OK so I ran the new memtest CD, ran OK for 25mins then I popped
    > out of the room for a couple of minutes, when I came back it had a load of
    > errors.
    > The scroll off the screen but the last one sere 791-799
    >
    > eg
    >
    > test ...pass..fail
    > address............................good................bad..............bits........error
    > no.
    > ..7.......1.....000032458000- 788.3MB ad39ef05
    > ad88cf05...........00b1000......791

    > ...7......1........00031c58000 - 796.3mb..37f773ab7
    > 37ca3ab7........003d000........799
    >

    > All the bad bits were in the 3rd and 4th position.
    >

    > Test 7 is 'random digits'.
    >
    > SO I think I will contact the seller of the module
    >

    > I will also have to run memtest on my old 1 gig module just to be double
    > sure.

    OK so I ran memtest on mine for 3 passes I think, 54 minutes
    no errors.
    Then Iput the other module in and it also ran the same 3 passes no errors.
    All bit confusing, but I never have any errors on my module.

    I will run some longer tests.
    Another fail or reboot and I think I wil have to send it back

    Colin Trunt, Jul 16, 2010
  16. Colin Trunt

    > "Colin Trunt" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Colin Trunt" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Colin Trunt" <> wrote in message

    >>> OK I just burned another memtest this time it completed normally
    >>> as I expected ie without a reboot.
    >>>
    >>> So that goes down as another reboot on that memory module.

    >> OK so I ran the new memtest CD, ran OK for 25mins then I popped
    >> out of the room for a couple of minutes, when I came back it had a load
    >> of errors.
    >> The scroll off the screen but the last one sere 791-799
    >>
    >> eg
    >>
    >> test ...pass..fail
    >> address............................good................bad..............bits........error
    >> no.
    >> ..7.......1.....000032458000- 788.3MB ad39ef05
    >> ad88cf05...........00b1000......791

    >> ...7......1........00031c58000 - 796.3mb..37f773ab7
    >> 37ca3ab7........003d000........799
    >>

    >> All the bad bits were in the 3rd and 4th position.
    >>

    >> Test 7 is 'random digits'.
    >>
    >> SO I think I will contact the seller of the module
    >>

    >> I will also have to run memtest on my old 1 gig module just to be double
    >> sure.
    >>

    > OK so I ran memtest on mine for 3 passes I think, 54 minutes
    > no errors.
    > Then Iput the other module in and it also ran the same 3 passes no errors.
    > All bit confusing, but I never have any errors on my module.
    >
    > I will run some longer tests.
    > Another fail or reboot and I think I wil have to send it back

    Rebooted after a few hours, went into memtest, errors after 2 minutes.

    That's it it is not going back in my machine again I am returning it.

    Colin Trunt, Jul 16, 2010
  17. Colin Trunt

    baron Guest

    Colin Trunt Inscribed thus:

    >>> OK so I ran the new memtest CD, ran OK for 25mins then I popped
    >>> out of the room for a couple of minutes, when I came back it had a
    >>> load of errors.
    >>> The scroll off the screen but the last one sere 791-799
    >>>
    >>> eg
    >>>
    >>> test ...pass..fail

    address............................good................bad..............bits........error
    >>> no.
    >>> ..7.......1.....000032458000- 788.3MB ad39ef05
    >>> ad88cf05...........00b1000......791

    >>> ...7......1........00031c58000 - 796.3mb..37f773ab7
    >>> 37ca3ab7........003d000........799
    >>>

    >>> All the bad bits were in the 3rd and 4th position.
    >>>

    >>> Test 7 is 'random digits'.
    >>>
    >>> SO I think I will contact the seller of the module
    >>>

    >>> I will also have to run memtest on my old 1 gig module just to be
    >>> double sure.
    >>>

    >> OK so I ran memtest on mine for 3 passes I think, 54 minutes
    >> no errors.
    >> Then Iput the other module in and it also ran the same 3 passes no
    >> errors.
    >> All bit confusing, but I never have any errors on my module.
    >>
    >> I will run some longer tests.
    >> Another fail or reboot and I think I wil have to send it back

    > Rebooted after a few hours, went into memtest, errors after 2 minutes.
    >
    > That's it it is not going back in my machine again I am returning it.

    This is starting to look like "Bad Caps" syndrome !
    I suspect that your problems are not related directly to the memory
    modules but to the power supply feeding them.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    baron, Jul 16, 2010
  18. Colin Trunt

    Colin Trunt Guest

    "baron" <> wrote in message
    > Colin Trunt Inscribed thus:

    > address............................good................bad..............bits........error

    >>> OK so I ran memtest on mine for 3 passes I think, 54 minutes
    >>> no errors.
    >>> Then Iput the other module in and it also ran the same 3 passes no
    >>> errors.
    >>> All bit confusing, but I never have any errors on my module.
    >>>
    >>> I will run some longer tests.
    >>> Another fail or reboot and I think I wil have to send it back

    >> Rebooted after a few hours, went into memtest, errors after 2 minutes.
    >>
    >> That's it it is not going back in my machine again I am returning it.
    >>>

    > This is starting to look like "Bad Caps" syndrome !
    > I suspect that your problems are not related directly to the memory
    > modules but to the power supply feeding them.
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.

    I have just ran my compuer on memtest on my other ram module for 8.5
    hours with not errors.
    I have aslo ran my computer for 10 hours normallly on that ram nodule
    without probem.

    I am convinced it is the new ram as no problems occur with the other memory.

    Colin Trunt, Jul 16, 2010
  19. Colin Trunt

    Baron Guest

    Colin Trunt Inscribed thus:

    > "baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Colin Trunt Inscribed thus:

    address............................good................bad..............bits........error

    >>> Rebooted after a few hours, went into memtest, errors after 2
    >>> minutes.
    >>>
    >>> That's it it is not going back in my machine again I am returning
    >>> it.
    >>>>

    >> This is starting to look like "Bad Caps" syndrome !
    >> I suspect that your problems are not related directly to the memory
    >> modules but to the power supply feeding them.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best Regards:
    >> Baron.

    > I have just ran my compuer on memtest on my other ram module for 8.5
    > hours with not errors.
    > I have aslo ran my computer for 10 hours normallly on that ram nodule
    > without problem.
    >
    > I am convinced it is the new ram as no problems occur with the other
    > memory.

    Look at the power requirements of the two modules.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Jul 16, 2010
  20. Colin Trunt

    Colin Trunt Guest

    "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Colin Trunt Inscribed thus:
    >

    >> "baron" <> wrote in message
    >>> Colin Trunt Inscribed thus:

    > address............................good................bad..............bits........error

    >>> This is starting to look like "Bad Caps" syndrome !
    >>> I suspect that your problems are not related directly to the memory
    >>> modules but to the power supply feeding them.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best Regards:
    >>> Baron.

    >> I have just ran my compuer on memtest on my other ram module for 8.5
    >> hours with not errors.
    >> I have aslo ran my computer for 10 hours normallly on that ram nodule
    >> without problem.
    >>
    >> I am convinced it is the new ram as no problems occur with the other
    >> memory.

    > Look at the power requirements of the two modules.

    Why, almost all reboot have occured when the machine was idle.
    Never had one when the fan was roaring.
    Always when it was peaceful and the power usage would be
    minimun.

    Both are 2.5v

    Meets the industry standard JEDEC Specifications

    Colin Trunt, Jul 16, 2010