Problems with chkdsk and boot into safe mode.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by R. Giggs., Aug 29, 2012.

  1. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    I had recently cloned by system drive to my second drive and then made my
    second
    drive my system (main( drive.

    All that seemed to work well, however a while after that I found chkdskk was
    running at start up.
    Prety sure this is nothing to do with the clone as that worke fine for a
    while, no problem at all.
    Chkdsk seem to hang, I always reboot and then quit chkdsk when prompted and
    can boot up normally
    and run fine. I tried torun chkdsk from windows but ti never completed, gave
    some error I think.

    So them I try and run it from safemode but find I can;t boot in safe mode!!
    I find it hangs, the last file it lists on the screen is avgidshx, so then
    just reboot in normal mode
    which works fine.
    There is some stuff on the web about avg stopping boot up, I will have to
    read more about that.

    Some other things, there is system restore and system recovery, I get these
    confused.
    I think restore gets it back the original setup and recovery rolls it back
    to the last working
    setup.

    The problem with a recovery is is the system actually works in normal mode,
    just not in safe mode
    so it could recover to a system which did not work in safe mode too.

    I am not sure if I tried a system recovery actualy, as I said I get the
    things confused!!

    I am currently running a third party dick checker, Ariotic Disk Scanner 4.0.
    That is nearly halfway through
    with no errors reported so far, I do not believe there are any errors anyway
    as the system runs fine in
    normal more. It's gonna take over another hour to complete, nearly two hours
    perhaps.

    I know that their is a fix to stop chkdsk running, using fsutil or similar
    to reset the bit that
    cause chkdsk to run.

    I do of course have my original system drive which I should be able to boot
    from fine
    which is a bonus.

    So I seem to have a number of issues.

    1. Chkdsk running. - A minor issue I think.
    2) Can't boot in safe mode. - A bigger issue.
    3) Possible problems with system restore and recover. - However I think I
    always had
    some problems with these. I think before I would try and do a restore and it
    would say it failed
    but I then found my system booted normally anyway (not 100% on this) maybe I
    had to do a recovery or something.

    I guess I shoud familairise myself with restore and recovery so I do not
    confuse them, and I need to check if recovery works
    or not as I am not 100% sure I tried this.
    I am pretty sure I had problems with chkdsk on my old (now dead) computer.

    So.. I have a few things to investigate amd decide on wht is the best plan
    of action.
    I could put th eold drive back in as system drive and put this drive as
    second drive and then
    run chkdsk on it it from windows, whichd might work better. However if the
    3rd part chkdsk
    finds no errors that seems a bit of a waste of time probably.

    I suppose getting safe mode running should be priority so I may have to try
    and disable
    avg running to do that.

    Done about 90% of the disk check with the 3d party software and no errors.

    So i am going to try and disable avg but I have to make an avg recoery disk
    to do that.

    I can savefly say anti-virus software has caused me ten time more problems
    that any virus ever!!

    There was one other thing I tried, I connected my usb drives and then
    removed them again using
    the safely remove hardware just incase removing one incorrectly mmight have
    caused an isue.
    R. Giggs., Aug 29, 2012

  2. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:
> [...]
    > second drive and then
    > run chkdsk on it it from windows, whichd might work better. However if the
    > 3rd part chkdsk
    > finds no errors that seems a bit of a waste of time probably.
    >

    > I suppose getting safe mode running should be priority so I may have to try
    > and disable
    > avg running to do that.
    >
    > Done about 90% of the disk check with the 3d party software and no errors.
    >
    > So i am going to try and disable avg but I have to make an avg recoery disk
    > to do that.
    >
    > I can savefly say anti-virus software has caused me ten time more problems
    > that any virus ever!!
    >
    > There was one other thing I tried, I connected my usb drives and then
    > removed them again using
    > the safely remove hardware just incase removing one incorrectly mmight have

    Let your current repair tool finish. It may fix everything
    for you, and then there will be no further issues.

    *******

    FSUTIL cannot clear the dirty bit. CHKDSK is going to continue
    to run, as instructed by the dirty bit. FSUTIL can be used
    to assert the dirty bit, forcing CHKDSK to run at startup. But
    you can't do it the other way. There's no "clear" option with
    the FSUTIL. That's done on purpose.

    *******

    if the damage is severe enough, if may take "re-laying" the
    file system, to fix it. It requires copying all the files
    off the partition, format the partition, do a "fixboot" to put back
    the partition boot code, copy the files back onto the partition,
    and then it should boot again. And all of that, requires a
    second OS as a helper (the file copy step perhaps). As well
    as using your installer CD, to gain access to the repair console.
    Suffice to say, we don't "want to go here", unless absolutely
    necessary, and all other possibilities have been exhausted.

    I've had to do that a couple times, but only for data partitions
    (so no "fixboot" needed for that). Copying off files there, is a snap.
    Dealing with C:, is another matter entirely. Very messy.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 29, 2012

  3. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > the FSUTIL. That's done on purpose.
    >
    > *******
    >
    > if the damage is severe enough, if may take "re-laying" the
    > file system, to fix it. It requires copying all the files
    > off the partition, format the partition, do a "fixboot" to put back
    > the partition boot code, copy the files back onto the partition,
    > and then it should boot again. And all of that, requires a
    > second OS as a helper (the file copy step perhaps). As well
    > as using your installer CD, to gain access to the repair console.
    > Suffice to say, we don't "want to go here", unless absolutely
    > necessary, and all other possibilities have been exhausted.
    >
    > I've had to do that a couple times, but only for data partitions
    > (so no "fixboot" needed for that). Copying off files there, is a snap.
    > Dealing with C:, is another matter entirely. Very messy.

    Well that sounds a lot worse than I expected, I thought you could
    reset the bit?

    So why doesn't chkdsk run? I had the same problem with my old system
    and now I have it with this one. Could it be cause by they cloning process?

    A qick get out for me is just to go back to the original system disk then
    i can reformat this drive or whatever, or just us it as a second drive as
    before,
    I may be able to run chkdsk to completion on it like that.

    I am a bit confused about what to do, I have down looaded avg and may remove
    avg and see if I can get into safe mode to run chkdsk.
    or I oculd put the drive on as a slave and then run chkdsk on the drive
    when it
    as not in use.

    That if pretty easy option pove down reconnect cables and reboot.

    Am I right in saying the dirty bit is on the drive, it must be I guess so my
    usb
    drive idea is out the window.

    THink I will reboot on the old drive :)
    R. Giggs., Aug 29, 2012
  4. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:

    > Well that sounds a lot worse than I expected, I thought you could
    > reset the bit?
    >
    > So why doesn't chkdsk run? I had the same problem with my old system
    > and now I have it with this one. Could it be cause by they cloning process?
    >
    > A qick get out for me is just to go back to the original system disk then
    > i can reformat this drive or whatever, or just us it as a second drive as
    > before,
    > I may be able to run chkdsk to completion on it like that.
    >

    > I am a bit confused about what to do, I have down looaded avg and may remove
    > avg and see if I can get into safe mode to run chkdsk.
    > or I oculd put the drive on as a slave and then run chkdsk on the drive
    > when it
    > as not in use.
    >
    > That if pretty easy option pove down reconnect cables and reboot.
    >
    > Am I right in saying the dirty bit is on the drive, it must be I guess so my
    > usb
    > drive idea is out the window.
    >
    > THink I will reboot on the old drive :)

    Well, my contribution is just to point out that FSUTIL
    doesn't clear the bit. CHKDSK is what clears the bit.
    While it may be possible to figure out some way to clear
    it, that's not the purpose. It's to mark the disk as
    needing maintenance, and not to give up until the
    maintenance is complete.

    Slave the drive up to a working machine, and give CHKDSK
    another try.

    This is one of the reasons my computer has two OSes on it.
    Any time "something stupid happens", I boot the second OS...

    And CHKDSK can get stuck. I've had it happen here. The fix
    was to copy the files off, reformat, copy the files back on.

    On an OS disk, some additional work is required (fixboot, to put
    the partition boot sector back). When you format a partition,
    as far as I know, it erases the partition boot sector. And then
    the fixboot is needed, to put it back.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 29, 2012
  5. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > So why doesn't chkdsk run? I had the same problem with my old system
    > and now I have it with this one. Could it be cause by they cloning
    > process?
    >
    > A qick get out for me is just to go back to the original system disk then
    > i can reformat this drive or whatever, or just us it as a second drive as
    > before,
    > I may be able to run chkdsk to completion on it like that.
    >

    > I am a bit confused about what to do, I have down looaded avg and may
    > remove
    > avg and see if I can get into safe mode to run chkdsk.
    > or I oculd put the drive on as a slave and then run chkdsk on the drive
    > when it
    > as not in use.
    >
    > That if pretty easy option pove down reconnect cables and reboot.
    >
    > Am I right in saying the dirty bit is on the drive, it must be I guess so

    Now this is getting silly, I went baack to the old drive and it stiill
    started chkdsk.
    I was a bit confused, as it said g: too
    ..

    I went back to one drive. Whcih was a mistake I should have quite and booted
    up

    So that is what I will do now. does not take long to switch fortunately!!
    R. Giggs., Aug 29, 2012
  6. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >

    >> Well that sounds a lot worse than I expected, I thought you could
    >> reset the bit?
    >>
    >> So why doesn't chkdsk run? I had the same problem with my old system
    >> and now I have it with this one. Could it be cause by they cloning
    >> process?
    >>
    >> A qick get out for me is just to go back to the original system disk then
    >> i can reformat this drive or whatever, or just us it as a second drive as
    >> before,
    >> I may be able to run chkdsk to completion on it like that.
    >>

    >> I am a bit confused about what to do, I have down looaded avg and may
    >> remove
    >> avg and see if I can get into safe mode to run chkdsk.
    >> or I oculd put the drive on as a slave and then run chkdsk on the drive
    >> when it
    >> as not in use.
    >>
    >> That if pretty easy option pove down reconnect cables and reboot.
    >>
    >> Am I right in saying the dirty bit is on the drive, it must be I guess so
    >> my usb
    >> drive idea is out the window.
    >>
    >> THink I will reboot on the old drive :)

    > Well, my contribution is just to point out that FSUTIL
    > doesn't clear the bit. CHKDSK is what clears the bit.
    > While it may be possible to figure out some way to clear
    > it, that's not the purpose. It's to mark the disk as
    > needing maintenance, and not to give up until the
    > maintenance is complete.
    >
    > Slave the drive up to a working machine, and give CHKDSK
    > another try.

    Ok I am actually doing that now, however it looks like it is stuck on
    phase two at the same point it gets stuck when it runs at start-up
    ie about 3%

    so I suspect if I leave it there it will be like that for hours indeed
    forever.

    > This is one of the reasons my computer has two OSes on it.
    > Any time "something stupid happens", I boot the second OS...
    >
    > And CHKDSK can get stuck. I've had it happen here. The fix
    > was to copy the files off, reformat, copy the files back on.
    >
    > On an OS disk, some additional work is required (fixboot, to put
    > the partition boot sector back). When you format a partition,
    > as far as I know, it erases the partition boot sector. And then
    > the fixboot is needed, to put it back.
    >
    > Paul

    OK so it seems you think I need to reformat it.
    It is not an old disk well not very old it a 250gig drive.

    http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/documentation/samsung/P120CERev_1_3.pdf

    It is still stcuk at 3% oe so.

    I guess I could do as you say and copy the file off and reformat it.

    The dirve will not be very different to this one data wise since it was
    cloned
    recentl, on the 23rd now being 29th.

    The recovery partition on the drive was OK so I would just need to do the
    other bit?

    I wonder did that disk clone progragram cause the problem or is it just
    conicidence..

    What I need to do is see if I can boot in safe mode on this drive, I need
    to check stuff like that
    the state of the recovery and restore or whatever and what up dates have
    been done to avg and stuff
    if any.
    R. Giggs., Aug 29, 2012
  7. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > OK so it seems you think I need to reformat it.
    > It is not an old disk well not very old it a 250gig drive.
    >

    > http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/documentation/samsung/P120CERev_1_3.pdf
    >
    > It is still stcuk at 3% oe so.
    >
    > I guess I could do as you say and copy the file off and reformat it.
    >
    > The dirve will not be very different to this one data wise since it was
    > cloned
    > recentl, on the 23rd now being 29th.
    >
    > The recovery partition on the drive was OK so I would just need to do the
    > other bit?
    >
    > I wonder did that disk clone progragram cause the problem or is it just
    > conicidence..
    >
    > What I need to do is see if I can boot in safe mode on this drive, I need
    > to check stuff like that
    > the state of the recovery and restore or whatever and what up dates have

    GOOD NEWS!!!

    After all that waiting at about 3% I now see that the chkdsk is complete!!

    Thats really weird, kind of typical of microsoft to have higly misleading
    software
    uit look like it will never complete because it is at 3% for an hour so you
    give up .
    BUt then it does 97% in about 2 minutes!!

    Anyhow I need to reboot in safe mode on this disk and see what happens then
    I need toswop disks again to see if that drive will start in safe mode.
    R. Giggs., Aug 29, 2012
  8. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message

    > "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well, my contribution is just to point out that FSUTIL
    >>> doesn't clear the bit. CHKDSK is what clears the bit.
    >>> While it may be possible to figure out some way to clear
    >>> it, that's not the purpose. It's to mark the disk as
    >>> needing maintenance, and not to give up until the
    >>> maintenance is complete.
    >>>
    >>> Slave the drive up to a working machine, and give CHKDSK
    >>> another try.

    >> Ok I am actually doing that now, however it looks like it is stuck on
    >> phase two at the same point it gets stuck when it runs at start-up
    >> ie about 3%
    >>
    >> so I suspect if I leave it there it will be like that for hours indeed
    >> forever.
    >>

    >>> This is one of the reasons my computer has two OSes on it.
    >>> Any time "something stupid happens", I boot the second OS...
    >>>
    >>> And CHKDSK can get stuck. I've had it happen here. The fix
    >>> was to copy the files off, reformat, copy the files back on.
    >>>
    >>> On an OS disk, some additional work is required (fixboot, to put
    >>> the partition boot sector back). When you format a partition,
    >>> as far as I know, it erases the partition boot sector. And then
    >>> the fixboot is needed, to put it back.
    >>>
    >>> Paul
    >>>

    >> OK so it seems you think I need to reformat it.
    >> It is not an old disk well not very old it a 250gig drive.
    >>

    >> http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/documentation/samsung/P120CERev_1_3.pdf
    >>
    >> It is still stcuk at 3% oe so.
    >>
    >> I guess I could do as you say and copy the file off and reformat it.
    >>
    >> The dirve will not be very different to this one data wise since it was
    >> cloned
    >> recentl, on the 23rd now being 29th.
    >>
    >> The recovery partition on the drive was OK so I would just need to do the
    >> other bit?
    >>
    >> I wonder did that disk clone progragram cause the problem or is it just
    >> conicidence..
    >>
    >> What I need to do is see if I can boot in safe mode on this drive, I
    >> need to check stuff like that
    >> the state of the recovery and restore or whatever and what up dates have
    >> been done to avg and stuff
    >> if any.
    >>

    > GOOD NEWS!!!
    >
    > After all that waiting at about 3% I now see that the chkdsk is complete!!
    >
    > Thats really weird, kind of typical of microsoft to have higly misleading
    > software
    > uit look like it will never complete because it is at 3% for an hour so
    > you give up .
    > BUt then it does 97% in about 2 minutes!!
    >
    > Anyhow I need to reboot in safe mode on this disk and see what happens
    > then
    > I need toswop disks again to see if that drive will start in safe mode.

    WEll, everything seems to be sorted now, there is no chkdsk and I can boot
    into safe
    mode.

    All the avg stuff seems to be a red herring, Avg seems to just happen to be
    the last thing
    listed on the screen when you boot into safe mode, so it is probably taking
    a lot of unjustified flack
    just because it was tha last on the particular list.
    After that it goes to a blue windows screen I think, but it never gets very
    far.

    So problem fixed but I need to keep an eye on this drive now, I always
    thought it was
    rather noisy, I wonder if that is related.?

    Also I noticed, my unubtu system no longer works which is no surprise as I
    deleted
    it after backing it up but I had forgot the password anyway s I think I will
    look for a new
    ubuntu system, it will hopefully be a lot better and easier to install than
    the last one.

    What I should also do is make this machine dual boot, so rather than
    physically moving the
    cable I can jsut select which drive to boot from.

    This is the old boot .ini

    [boot loader]
    timeout=15
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /usepmtimer
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
    c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"

    I guess I need to figure out how to edit that to be able to boot from the
    other drive.
    this bit
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
    seems to be the first drive, not sure what the second drive would be.
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
    multi(1)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
    R. Giggs., Aug 30, 2012
  9. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:
    > "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message
    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well, my contribution is just to point out that FSUTIL
    >>> doesn't clear the bit. CHKDSK is what clears the bit.
    >>> While it may be possible to figure out some way to clear
    >>> it, that's not the purpose. It's to mark the disk as
    >>> needing maintenance, and not to give up until the
    >>> maintenance is complete.
    >>>
    >>> Slave the drive up to a working machine, and give CHKDSK
    >>> another try.

    >> Ok I am actually doing that now, however it looks like it is stuck on
    >> phase two at the same point it gets stuck when it runs at start-up
    >> ie about 3%
    >>
    >> so I suspect if I leave it there it will be like that for hours indeed
    >> forever.
    >>
    >>> This is one of the reasons my computer has two OSes on it.
    >>> Any time "something stupid happens", I boot the second OS...
    >>>
    >>> And CHKDSK can get stuck. I've had it happen here. The fix
    >>> was to copy the files off, reformat, copy the files back on.
    >>>
    >>> On an OS disk, some additional work is required (fixboot, to put
    >>> the partition boot sector back). When you format a partition,
    >>> as far as I know, it erases the partition boot sector. And then
    >>> the fixboot is needed, to put it back.
    >>>
    >>> Paul
    >>>

    >> OK so it seems you think I need to reformat it.
    >> It is not an old disk well not very old it a 250gig drive.
    >>

    >> http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/documentation/samsung/P120CERev_1_3.pdf
    >>
    >> It is still stcuk at 3% oe so.
    >>
    >> I guess I could do as you say and copy the file off and reformat it.
    >>
    >> The dirve will not be very different to this one data wise since it was
    >> cloned
    >> recentl, on the 23rd now being 29th.
    >>
    >> The recovery partition on the drive was OK so I would just need to do the
    >> other bit?
    >>
    >> I wonder did that disk clone progragram cause the problem or is it just
    >> conicidence..
    >>
    >> What I need to do is see if I can boot in safe mode on this drive, I need
    >> to check stuff like that
    >> the state of the recovery and restore or whatever and what up dates have
    >> been done to avg and stuff
    >> if any.
    >>

    > GOOD NEWS!!!
    >
    > After all that waiting at about 3% I now see that the chkdsk is complete!!
    >
    > Thats really weird, kind of typical of microsoft to have higly misleading
    > software
    > uit look like it will never complete because it is at 3% for an hour so you
    > give up .
    > BUt then it does 97% in about 2 minutes!!
    >
    > Anyhow I need to reboot in safe mode on this disk and see what happens then
    > I need toswop disks again to see if that drive will start in safe mode.

    Just keep an eye on the SMART statistics, reallocated sectors that sort of thing.
    If it was a hardware problem, you might see the issue reflected in the SMART.

    If the problem was caused by turning off the disk while the OS was still
    running, then you'd expect the possibility of a problem or two.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 30, 2012
  10. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:

    > WEll, everything seems to be sorted now, there is no chkdsk and I can boot
    > into safe
    > mode.
    >
    > All the avg stuff seems to be a red herring, Avg seems to just happen to be
    > the last thing
    > listed on the screen when you boot into safe mode, so it is probably taking
    > a lot of unjustified flack
    > just because it was tha last on the particular list.
    > After that it goes to a blue windows screen I think, but it never gets very
    > far.
    >
    > So problem fixed but I need to keep an eye on this drive now, I always
    > thought it was
    > rather noisy, I wonder if that is related.?
    >
    > Also I noticed, my unubtu system no longer works which is no surprise as I
    > deleted
    > it after backing it up but I had forgot the password anyway s I think I will
    > look for a new
    > ubuntu system, it will hopefully be a lot better and easier to install than
    > the last one.
    >
    > What I should also do is make this machine dual boot, so rather than
    > physically moving the
    > cable I can jsut select which drive to boot from.
    >
    > This is the old boot .ini
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=15
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /usepmtimer
    > C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
    > c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"
    >

    > I guess I need to figure out how to edit that to be able to boot from the
    > other drive.
    > this bit
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
    > seems to be the first drive, not sure what the second drive would be.
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
    > multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
    > multi(1)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?

    Your system now sounds complicated enough, you'll be giving the
    rest of us lessons :)

    I don't really recommend things like this, but it's available if you
    want to get yourself in more trouble. I've read the odd posting or two,
    where someone reduces their computer to an unbootable mess with this.
    Be careful.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootcfg

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317521

    My multiboot system, has one OS per disk, and I use the BIOS popup menu
    to select disk 1 or disk 2 for booting. On my current motherboard, you
    press F8 at system start, to get the BIOS boot menu to pop up. And I
    select a disk to use from there. Different brands of motherboards, use
    a different key. My Asrock motherboard, uses F11 for example. Check
    the BIOS screen at startup, for a summary of available key presses.

    Doing it that way, each boot.ini only has one entry, and the disks can
    be unplugged independently without an issue.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 30, 2012
  11. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >

    >> WEll, everything seems to be sorted now, there is no chkdsk and I can
    >> boot into safe
    >> mode.
    >>
    >> All the avg stuff seems to be a red herring, Avg seems to just happen to
    >> be the last thing
    >> listed on the screen when you boot into safe mode, so it is probably
    >> taking a lot of unjustified flack
    >> just because it was tha last on the particular list.
    >> After that it goes to a blue windows screen I think, but it never gets
    >> very far.
    >>
    >> So problem fixed but I need to keep an eye on this drive now, I always
    >> thought it was
    >> rather noisy, I wonder if that is related.?
    >>
    >> Also I noticed, my unubtu system no longer works which is no surprise as
    >> I deleted
    >> it after backing it up but I had forgot the password anyway s I think I
    >> will look for a new
    >> ubuntu system, it will hopefully be a lot better and easier to install
    >> than the last one.
    >>
    >> What I should also do is make this machine dual boot, so rather than
    >> physically moving the
    >> cable I can jsut select which drive to boot from.
    >>
    >> This is the old boot .ini
    >>
    >> [boot loader]
    >> timeout=15
    >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    >> [operating systems]
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    >> Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /usepmtimer
    >> C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
    >> c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"
    >>

    >> I guess I need to figure out how to edit that to be able to boot from the
    >> other drive.
    >> this bit
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
    >> seems to be the first drive, not sure what the second drive would be.
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
    >> multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?
    >> multi(1)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(2)?

    > Your system now sounds complicated enough, you'll be giving the
    > rest of us lessons :)

    lol perhaps!!

    The Ubuntu thing is form of ubuntu which runs on the windows
    file system. That was pretty useful are you could access windows files
    and override protected windows files IIRC.

    I put ubuntu on it ages ago, I would have used it more but I forgot
    where I wrote the pass words down and so could not get on my own
    system. I can stil restore it onto my PC but without the password there
    is not much point.

    Anyhow I only added the last line for ubuntu, the recovery console thing
    was already there. I guess it must be on most systems.

    > I don't really recommend things like this, but it's available if you
    > want to get yourself in more trouble. I've read the odd posting or two,
    > where someone reduces their computer to an unbootable mess with this.
    > Be careful.

    But this boot.ini is just a text file so no prolems changing it really not
    when I have two bootable drives. If I screw up boot.ini I can put
    the drive on as a slave and exit boot.ini.

    But I can see problems though I mean the file references C: and if it were
    in the
    othr drive bay it would not be c: so yes plenty of room to mess things up
    and I realise I do not really understand this, this file is presumable
    loaded by te BIOS?

    But anyhow as long as I have a drive which will booot by itself I have no
    problems trying
    stuff especially you just select an option, if thta option does not work
    then no need to
    welect it.

    Anyhow I found this which answers my questins somewhat

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314081

    a.. The term "scsi(0)" means that the primary controller (that is frequently
    the only controller) is responsible for the device. If there are two SCSI
    controllers, and the disk is associated with the second controller, the
    controller is named "scsi(1)".

    If the system uses IDE, enhanced IDE (EIDE), or Enhanced Small Device
    Interface (ESDI) drives, or if the system uses a SCSI adapter that does not
    have a built-in BIOS, replace "scsi" with "multi".
    a.. The term "disk(0)" refers to the SCSI logical unit (LUN) to use. This
    may be a separate disk, but most SCSI setups have only one LUN for each SCSI
    ID.
    a.. The term "rdisk(0)" refers to physical disk 1.
    a.. The term "partition(1)" is the partition on the first drive in the
    computer. If there are two partitions, partition C is partition(1) and
    partition D is partition(2).

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootcfg
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317521
    >
    > My multiboot system, has one OS per disk, and I use the BIOS popup menu
    > to select disk 1 or disk 2 for booting. On my current motherboard, you
    > press F8 at system start, to get the BIOS boot menu to pop up. And I
    > select a disk to use from there. Different brands of motherboards, use
    > a different key. My Asrock motherboard, uses F11 for example. Check
    > the BIOS screen at startup, for a summary of available key presses.
    >
    > Doing it that way, each boot.ini only has one entry, and the disks can
    > be unplugged independently without an issue.

    OK I think mine says press f1 for boot menu, and ecs to entry bios,
    I can't remember really, there is some other option too,
    I should write it down. It may be similar to this mine is HP

    SImilar to these.

    http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/uploads/post-127844-1253416372.jpg

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/891/c01413989.jpg

    But I think after that I get a menu with 3 options ie

    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
    Ubuntu

    When that screen timed I get a menu with 3 options ie

    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
    Ubuntu

    And at the bottom it says press F8 and I get a load of boot options
    including safe mofe.
    I am not too familiar with it as I very rarely do anything but a normal
    windows boot
    I am normally too scared to try anything else!!!

    R. Giggs., Aug 30, 2012
  12. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >> "R. Giggs." <> wrote in message
    >>> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> Ok I am actually doing that now, however it looks like it is stuck on
    >>> phase two at the same point it gets stuck when it runs at start-up
    >>> ie about 3%
    >>>
    >>> so I suspect if I leave it there it will be like that for hours indeed
    >>> forever.

    >>> OK so it seems you think I need to reformat it.
    >>> It is not an old disk well not very old it a 250gig drive.
    >>>

    >>> http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/documentation/samsung/P120CERev_1_3.pdf
    >>>
    >>> It is still stcuk at 3% oe so.
    >>>
    >>> I guess I could do as you say and copy the file off and reformat it.
    >>>
    >>> The dirve will not be very different to this one data wise since it was
    >>> cloned
    >>> recentl, on the 23rd now being 29th.
    >>>
    >>> The recovery partition on the drive was OK so I would just need to do
    >>> the other bit?
    >>>
    >>> I wonder did that disk clone progragram cause the problem or is it just
    >>> conicidence..
    >>>
    >>> What I need to do is see if I can boot in safe mode on this drive, I
    >>> need to check stuff like that
    >>> the state of the recovery and restore or whatever and what up dates have
    >>> been done to avg and stuff
    >>> if any.
    >>>

    >> GOOD NEWS!!!
    >>
    >> After all that waiting at about 3% I now see that the chkdsk is
    >> complete!!
    >>
    >> Thats really weird, kind of typical of microsoft to have higly misleading
    >> software
    >> uit look like it will never complete because it is at 3% for an hour so
    >> you give up .
    >> BUt then it does 97% in about 2 minutes!!
    >>
    >> Anyhow I need to reboot in safe mode on this disk and see what happens
    >> then
    >> I need toswop disks again to see if that drive will start in safe mode.

    > Just keep an eye on the SMART statistics, reallocated sectors that sort of
    > thing.
    > If it was a hardware problem, you might see the issue reflected in the
    > SMART.
    >
    > If the problem was caused by turning off the disk while the OS was still
    > running, then you'd expect the possibility of a problem or two.
    >
    > Paul

    Well I found something to report the SMART figures, not too sure what it all
    means
    but every theing comes back 'OK'

    SMART ATTRIBUTES:
    ID Description Status Value Worst
    Threshold Raw Value TEC
    1 Raw Read Error Rate OK 100 100 51
    0 N.A.
    3 Spin Up Time OK 100 100 25
    6208 N.A.
    4 Start/Stop Count OK 92 92 0
    8501 N.A.
    5 Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253 10
    0 N.A.
    7 Seek Error Rate OK 253 253 51
    0 N.A.
    8 Seek Time Performance OK 253 253 15
    0 N.A.
    9 Power On Time OK 100 100 0
    34391 N.A.
    10 Spin Retry Count OK 253 253 51
    0 N.A.
    11 Calibration Retry Count OK 253 2 0
    0 N.A.
    12 Power Cycle Count OK 96 96 0
    4149 N.A.
    190 Temperature Difference from 100 OK 127 100 0
    37 N.A.
    194 Temperature OK 127 100 0
    37 C N.A.
    195 Hardware ECC Recovered OK 100 100 0
    9971601 N.A.
    196 Reallocation Event Count OK 253 253 0
    0 N.A.
    197 Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253 0
    0 N.A.
    198 Uncorrectable Sector Count OK 253 253 0
    0 N.A.
    199 UltraDMA CRC Error Count OK 200 200 0
    0 N.A.
    200 Write Error Count OK 100 100 0
    0 N.A.
    201 Off Track Errors OK 100 100 0
    0 N.A.
    R. Giggs., Aug 30, 2012
  13. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    R. Giggs. wrote:

    > Well I found something to report the SMART figures, not too sure what it all
    > means
    > but every theing comes back 'OK'
    >

    > SMART ATTRIBUTES:
    > ID Description Status Value Worst
    > Threshold Raw Value TEC
    > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > 1 Raw Read Error Rate OK 100 100 51
    > 0 N.A.
    > 3 Spin Up Time OK 100 100 25
    > 6208 N.A.
    > 4 Start/Stop Count OK 92 92 0
    > 8501 N.A.
    > 5 Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253 10
    > 0 N.A.
    > 7 Seek Error Rate OK 253 253 51
    > 0 N.A.
    > 8 Seek Time Performance OK 253 253 15
    > 0 N.A.
    > 9 Power On Time OK 100 100 0
    > 34391 N.A.
    > 10 Spin Retry Count OK 253 253 51
    > 0 N.A.
    > 11 Calibration Retry Count OK 253 2 0
    > 0 N.A.
    > 12 Power Cycle Count OK 96 96 0
    > 4149 N.A.
    > 190 Temperature Difference from 100 OK 127 100 0
    > 37 N.A.
    > 194 Temperature OK 127 100 0
    > 37 C N.A.
    > 195 Hardware ECC Recovered OK 100 100 0
    > 9971601 N.A.
    > 196 Reallocation Event Count OK 253 253 0
    > 0 N.A.
    > 197 Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253 0
    > 0 N.A.
    > 198 Uncorrectable Sector Count OK 253 253 0
    > 0 N.A.
    > 199 UltraDMA CRC Error Count OK 200 200 0
    > 0 N.A.
    > 200 Write Error Count OK 100 100 0
    > 0 N.A.
    > 201 Off Track Errors OK 100 100 0
    > 0 N.A.

    The raw value is zero for both of these fields, so it looks fine.

    Status Value Worst Threshold Raw Value
    Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253 10 0
    Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253 0 0

    When I had a disk start to go downhill, this is the kind of thing I was seeing.
    This was from HDTune free version. These are readings on three separate days.
    The disk was replaced, mainly because it was a performance issue as much as
    anything else. The damaged area of the disk was... slow.

    Current Worst Threshold Data Status
    Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 0 OK
    Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 57 OK
    Reallocated Sector Count 98 98 36 104 OK

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 30, 2012
  14. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Aug 30, 2012
  15. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > R. Giggs. wrote:
    >

    >> Well I found something to report the SMART figures, not too sure what it
    >> all means
    >> but every theing comes back 'OK'
    >>

    >> SMART ATTRIBUTES:
    >> ID Description Status Value Worst
    >> Threshold Raw Value TEC
    >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> 1 Raw Read Error Rate OK 100 100
    >> 51 0 N.A.
    >> 3 Spin Up Time OK 100 100
    >> 25 6208 N.A.
    >> 4 Start/Stop Count OK 92 92
    >> 0 8501 N.A.
    >> 5 Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253
    >> 10 0 N.A.
    >> 7 Seek Error Rate OK 253 253
    >> 51 0 N.A.
    >> 8 Seek Time Performance OK 253 253
    >> 15 0 N.A.
    >> 9 Power On Time OK 100 100
    >> 0 34391 N.A.
    >> 10 Spin Retry Count OK 253 253
    >> 51 0 N.A.
    >> 11 Calibration Retry Count OK 253 2
    >> 0 0 N.A.
    >> 12 Power Cycle Count OK 96 96
    >> 0 4149 N.A.
    >> 190 Temperature Difference from 100 OK 127 100
    >> 0 37 N.A.
    >> 194 Temperature OK 127 100
    >> 0 37 C N.A.
    >> 195 Hardware ECC Recovered OK 100 100
    >> 0 9971601 N.A.
    >> 196 Reallocation Event Count OK 253 253
    >> 0 0 N.A.
    >> 197 Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253
    >> 0 0 N.A.
    >> 198 Uncorrectable Sector Count OK 253 253
    >> 0 0 N.A.
    >> 199 UltraDMA CRC Error Count OK 200 200
    >> 0 0 N.A.
    >> 200 Write Error Count OK 100 100
    >> 0 0 N.A.
    >> 201 Off Track Errors OK 100 100
    >> 0 0 N.A.
    >>

    > The raw value is zero for both of these fields, so it looks fine.
    >
    > Status Value Worst Threshold Raw
    > Value
    > Reallocated Sector Count OK 253 253 10 0
    > Current Pending Sector Count OK 253 253 0 0
    >
    > When I had a disk start to go downhill, this is the kind of thing I was
    > seeing.
    > This was from HDTune free version. These are readings on three separate
    > days.
    > The disk was replaced, mainly because it was a performance issue as much
    > as
    > anything else. The damaged area of the disk was... slow.
    >
    > Current Worst Threshold Data Status
    > Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 0 OK
    > Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 57 OK
    > Reallocated Sector Count 98 98 36 104 OK
    >
    > Paul

    Yes it seems my drive is OK, I use DiskCheckup by PassMark Software.
    Not too sure what caused the original problem, but will keep an eye on it
    just in case, I am assuming no software could cause the problem, I
    ssuspected
    an aborted install of McAfee antivirus at one point, Adobe tried to install
    it but
    anti-virus seem to cause more serious problems than they solve so I am only
    having one
    on my machine. So maybe it way my 'present' from McAfee for hot usuing their
    software!!!

    Actually you can set this bit manually as it can be done by fsutil or
    whatever?
    R. Giggs., Aug 30, 2012