    failed. Anyone got any hints? I have Windows XP SP2.

    TIA

    Mike
    Mike W., Feb 7, 2005

  2. Mike W.

    someone Guest

    > I installed both Firefox and Thunderbird.

    Hmmm I have and use both no problem but that doesn't help, I would
    remove one or the other (or both) reinstall only one of um for now then
    see what happens.

    --
    Rob (Win XP SP2) Fruth - Houston, Tx
    http://www.rfruth.net

    1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
    1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
    2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)
    someone, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Mike W.

    Mike W. Guest

    Been there done that. Have tried any number of permutations on
    installation. I have turned off all virus software as well.

    Mike W., Feb 7, 2005
  4. Mike W.

    someone Guest

    > Been there done that.

    I don't have the quick snappy answer (or the long one for that matter)
    for why Firefox and Tbird (ver 1.0) won't run but by uninstall in this
    case I'd start with the Windows add remove programs then manually check
    all folders for stray files then make sure the Windows registry is clean
    (or use a restore point) (nothing for mozilla in the registry) also the
    hardware and software/firmware is okay (no spyware, adware etc.) You may
    have done all that but what is the is the error message (does Firefox
    start to run or does it have a problem right away ((administrative
    access)) ?

    --
    Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

    someone, Feb 7, 2005
  5. Mike W.

    Mike W. Guest

    I'll try the extreme clean that you mention next. I have AdAware running
    showing no spyware. Neither program will start... I click the icon and in
    about 5 seconds I get the 'Microsoft Error Report' dialog asking me if I
    want to send them an error report. I can start it withe the -p option which
    allows me to mess with the profiles, but still can't get the actual browser
    to come up.

    Thanks.

    Mike W., Feb 7, 2005
  6. Mike W.

    Mike W. Guest

    It was no help. I guess I'll just keep using Outlook and IE... shucks.

    Mike W., Feb 7, 2005
  7. Mike W.

    Jeff Evans Guest

    Mike W. wrote:
    > I installed both Firefox and Thunderbird. Anytime I try to start either of
    > them I get the windows error saying that firefox.exe or thunderbird.exe has
    > failed. Anyone got any hints? I have Windows XP SP2.

    If uninstall/reinstall did not work then it's probably an OS problem.
    Did they ever work? If you can remember a date, you could try system
    restoring. Otherwise, I guess you'll have to reformat...
    Jeff Evans, Feb 10, 2005
  8. Mike W.

    Mike W. Guest

    They've never worked on my machine. I have them both on my laptop where
    they work fine, but this is my home pc (A Dell). I formatted and restored
    the Dell build about two months ago... and there is a 0% chance of me
    formatting again just to get these two programs working. I was hoping a
    bunch of others would have had the problem too, but apparently not. I cant
    think of anything I have on the PC that could be so destructive to these two
    programs?

    Thanks.

    Mike W., Feb 11, 2005