problems with ADSL connection to iHug (Mac OS X)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mark, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hello.
    I have recently joined iHug bliink and I am having problems woth the
    setup.
    I am using Mac OS 10.3.8 and I cannot use the internet because of DNS
    server problems.
    The test page for the D-Link DSL 504G router/modem shows that 'PPPoE
    server connectivity' has failed.
    I assume that means it cannot connect to the iHug server for some reason.

    Also, OS 10.3 does not have DNS "automatic configuration" option in the
    network panel. The installation guide shows it does (older OS version is
    my guess).

    Anyone have any ideas?

    TIA
    Mark

    Mark, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Mark

    SNOman Guest

    This is two problems.

    1) Your D-Link is not connected to IHUG (thereby causing the secind
    problem of you not being able to browse the internet). You need to get
    your connection to IHUG going first. Is the status light on the D-Link
    fully on? ie there is ADSL available on the line? if there is then you
    need to check your login name and password.

    2) Once you get the above sorted then you can always put IHUG's DNS
    server's in manually.

    SNOman, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    In article <d3hlps$hc7$>,
    SNOman <> wrote:

    > This is two problems.
    >
    > 1) Your D-Link is not connected to IHUG (thereby causing the secind
    > problem of you not being able to browse the internet). You need to get
    > your connection to IHUG going first. Is the status light on the D-Link
    > fully on? ie there is ADSL available on the line? if there is then you
    > need to check your login name and password.

    The ADSL light is on.
    Telecom and iHug have told me the jetstream service has been activated.

    This is what the test panel reports:
    Testing Ethernet connection PASS
    Testing ADSL Connection
    Testing ADSL line for sync PASS
    Testing Circuit for Network Connection
    Testing Ethernet connection to ATM PASS
    Testing ATM OAM segment ping PASS
    Testing ATM OAM end to end ping PASS
    Testing PPPoE server connectivity FAIL
    Testing PPPoE server session SKIPPED
    Testing authentication with server SKIPPED
    Validating assigned IP address 0.0.0.0 SKIPPED
    Testing Internet Connectivity
    Ping default gateway 0.0.0.0 FAIL
    Ping Primary Domain Name Server FAIL
    Query DNS for www.dlink.com FAIL
    Ping www.dlink.com FAIL

    Mark, Apr 13, 2005
  4. On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:40:02 +1200, Mark wrote:

    > In article <d3hlps$hc7$>,
    > SNOman <> wrote:
    >
    >> This is two problems.
    >>
    >> 1) Your D-Link is not connected to IHUG (thereby causing the secind
    >> problem of you not being able to browse the internet). You need to get
    >> your connection to IHUG going first. Is the status light on the D-Link
    >> fully on? ie there is ADSL available on the line? if there is then you
    >> need to check your login name and password.
    >>

    > The ADSL light is on.
    > Telecom and iHug have told me the jetstream service has been activated.
    >
    > This is what the test panel reports:
    > Testing Ethernet connection PASS
    > Testing ADSL Connection
    > Testing ADSL line for sync PASS
    > Testing Circuit for Network Connection
    > Testing Ethernet connection to ATM PASS
    > Testing ATM OAM segment ping PASS
    > Testing ATM OAM end to end ping PASS
    > Testing PPPoE server connectivity FAIL
    > Testing PPPoE server session SKIPPED
    > Testing authentication with server SKIPPED
    > Validating assigned IP address 0.0.0.0 SKIPPED
    > Testing Internet Connectivity
    > Ping default gateway 0.0.0.0 FAIL
    > Ping Primary Domain Name Server FAIL
    > Query DNS for www.dlink.com FAIL
    > Ping www.dlink.com FAIL
    >
    >> 2) Once you get the above sorted then you can always put IHUG's DNS
    >> server's in manually.

    er.. is ihug PPPoE? and not PPPoA like telecom?
    (according to the following link you should be PPPoA)
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:... setup site:ihug.co.nz&hl=en&client=firefox-a
    http://tinyurl.com/5mez4
    it _seems_ to me that you arent logged in, perhaps because of,
    incorrect VPI / VCI values orincorrect username/pass
    double check the PPPoA issue though ;-)

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 13, 2005
  5. Mark

    SNOman Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > In article <d3hlps$hc7$>,
    > SNOman <> wrote:
    >

    >>This is two problems.
    >>
    >>1) Your D-Link is not connected to IHUG (thereby causing the secind
    >>problem of you not being able to browse the internet). You need to get
    >>your connection to IHUG going first. Is the status light on the D-Link
    >>fully on? ie there is ADSL available on the line? if there is then you
    >>need to check your login name and password.
    >>

    > The ADSL light is on.
    > Telecom and iHug have told me the jetstream service has been activated.
    >
    > This is what the test panel reports:
    > Testing Ethernet connection PASS
    > Testing ADSL Connection
    > Testing ADSL line for sync PASS
    > Testing Circuit for Network Connection
    > Testing Ethernet connection to ATM PASS
    > Testing ATM OAM segment ping PASS
    > Testing ATM OAM end to end ping PASS
    > Testing PPPoE server connectivity FAIL
    > Testing PPPoE server session SKIPPED
    > Testing authentication with server SKIPPED
    > Validating assigned IP address 0.0.0.0 SKIPPED
    > Testing Internet Connectivity
    > Ping default gateway 0.0.0.0 FAIL
    > Ping Primary Domain Name Server FAIL
    > Query DNS for www.dlink.com FAIL
    > Ping www.dlink.com FAIL
    >

    >>2) Once you get the above sorted then you can always put IHUG's DNS
    >>server's in manually.

    You may have ADSL activated on the line but you are not logged into IHUG
    i.e you do not have an ip address from them, as I suggested above

    As the other user suggested you should be using PPoA, VPI - 0, VCI - 100
    and the correct username and password. You can still do manual DNS

    SNOman, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    In article <d3hvmo$4ii$>,
    SNOman <> wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    > > In article <d3hlps$hc7$>,
    > > SNOman <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>This is two problems.
    > >>
    > >>1) Your D-Link is not connected to IHUG (thereby causing the secind
    > >>problem of you not being able to browse the internet). You need to get
    > >>your connection to IHUG going first. Is the status light on the D-Link
    > >>fully on? ie there is ADSL available on the line? if there is then you
    > >>need to check your login name and password.
    > >>

    > > The ADSL light is on.
    > > Telecom and iHug have told me the jetstream service has been activated.
    > >
    > > This is what the test panel reports:
    > > Testing Ethernet connection PASS
    > > Testing ADSL Connection
    > > Testing ADSL line for sync PASS
    > > Testing Circuit for Network Connection
    > > Testing Ethernet connection to ATM PASS
    > > Testing ATM OAM segment ping PASS
    > > Testing ATM OAM end to end ping PASS
    > > Testing PPPoE server connectivity FAIL
    > > Testing PPPoE server session SKIPPED
    > > Testing authentication with server SKIPPED
    > > Validating assigned IP address 0.0.0.0 SKIPPED
    > > Testing Internet Connectivity
    > > Ping default gateway 0.0.0.0 FAIL
    > > Ping Primary Domain Name Server FAIL
    > > Query DNS for www.dlink.com FAIL
    > > Ping www.dlink.com FAIL
    > >

    > >>2) Once you get the above sorted then you can always put IHUG's DNS
    > >>server's in manually.
    > >>

    > You may have ADSL activated on the line but you are not logged into IHUG
    > i.e you do not have an ip address from them, as I suggested above
    >
    > As the other user suggested you should be using PPoA, VPI - 0, VCI - 100
    > and the correct username and password. You can still do manual DNS

    Woo hoo!
    Had the PPPoA/PPPoE setup wrong.
    Now it works.
    Thanks a lot you two.