Problems with AC Adapter

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by rivituso@medianet.pl, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have been having some problems with external power supply on my Dell
    Inspiron 5100.

    Even though the computer is connected to the AC adapter, and the
    adapter is connected to 220 volts, the computer is not taking power and
    running only off of batteries. Naturally, I also checked that the
    adapter's power indicator is on, and it is.

    It seems that the computer takes some power from the AC adapter at
    times, but the power flow is not constant. The image on the computer is
    not in any way affected, but the brightness constantly keeps changing.

    Needless to say, this is causing some difficulty in working.

    I took the computer to an engineer to remedy the situation. He "pulsed"
    it, and everything was normal for two weeks. He also told me that the
    problem was in the computer itself.

    But problems returned, and this time it appears to be in the adapter
    itself.

    Just very recently, when the computer was working normally off the
    adapter, the latter started to get ***very*** hot -- as in you could
    not hold it for long for fear of literally burning your hands. As I
    write this posting, the situation is changed again; the AC adapter is
    plugged in and its power indicator is lit up, but it is absolutely cold
    to the touch.

    I probably know what people are going to advise, but any information
    would be greatly appreciated.

    CR

    , Oct 2, 2005

  2. Duane Arnold Guest

    Call Dell and buy another AC adapter and have them ship it to you and be
    done with it. The adapters go out too. I had to buy a new one as it went
    out on laptop. Next you'll be dealing with the battery as they don't last
    either.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 2, 2005