Problems with a Dell Dimension 8300

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trent SC, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    My colleague is running a Dell Dimension 8300, P4 3 GHz, 512 MB RAM, XP
    Home.

    In the last couple of days it has been very problematic booting up, often
    taking 10-15 minutes to get to the Windows logon screen. It displays the
    Dell logo when it first boots, then goes to a black screen with a single
    cursor in the upper left corner and hangs there for ages before showing the
    normal XP loading screen and getting on with the start-up. Once it's up and
    running, it behaves fine.

    I've virus-scanned with AVG, checked for spyware & adware (Lavasoft &
    Spyware S&D), run through the start-up folder with msconfig and found
    nothing particularly out of the ordinary, although my feeling is that this
    issue occurs before Windows loads, so I wouldn't have expected to see much.
    And on the same basis, I'm loathe to use System Restore, although it's there
    as an option. No new applications have been installed for some weeks, and
    this has only been an issue for a few days.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be?

    Many thanks.

    Trent SC, Jan 12, 2005

  2. Trent SC

    Saba Guest

    "Trent SC" <> schreef in bericht
    | My colleague is running a Dell Dimension 8300, P4 3 GHz, 512 MB RAM, XP
    | Home.
    |
    | In the last couple of days it has been very problematic booting up, often
    | taking 10-15 minutes to get to the Windows logon screen. It displays the
    | Dell logo when it first boots, then goes to a black screen with a single
    | cursor in the upper left corner and hangs there for ages before showing
    the
    | normal XP loading screen and getting on with the start-up. Once it's up
    and
    | running, it behaves fine.
    |
    | I've virus-scanned with AVG, checked for spyware & adware (Lavasoft &
    | Spyware S&D), run through the start-up folder with msconfig and found
    | nothing particularly out of the ordinary, although my feeling is that this
    | issue occurs before Windows loads, so I wouldn't have expected to see
    much.
    | And on the same basis, I'm loathe to use System Restore, although it's
    there
    | as an option. No new applications have been installed for some weeks, and
    | this has only been an issue for a few days.
    |
    | Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be?
    |
    | Many thanks.

    check intern the cables and the cards.. are they really in the slots? looks
    like an hardware error..

    Saba, Jan 12, 2005

  3. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    > | My colleague is running a Dell Dimension 8300, P4 3 GHz, 512 MB RAM, XP
    > | Home.
    > |
    > | In the last couple of days it has been very problematic booting up,
    > often
    > | taking 10-15 minutes to get to the Windows logon screen. It displays
    > the
    > | Dell logo when it first boots, then goes to a black screen with a single
    > | cursor in the upper left corner and hangs there for ages before showing
    > the
    > | normal XP loading screen and getting on with the start-up. Once it's up
    > and
    > | running, it behaves fine.
    > |
    > | I've virus-scanned with AVG, checked for spyware & adware (Lavasoft &
    > | Spyware S&D), run through the start-up folder with msconfig and found
    > | nothing particularly out of the ordinary, although my feeling is that
    > this
    > | issue occurs before Windows loads, so I wouldn't have expected to see
    > much.
    > | And on the same basis, I'm loathe to use System Restore, although it's
    > there
    > | as an option. No new applications have been installed for some weeks,
    > and
    > | this has only been an issue for a few days.
    > |
    > | Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be?
    > |
    > | Many thanks.
    > |
    > check intern the cables and the cards.. are they really in the slots?
    > looks
    > like an hardware error..

    I agree that it suggests a hardware issue, and it looks as though I'm going
    to have to go over there and have a look. Grrr.

    Trent SC, Jan 12, 2005
  4. Trent SC

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:10:38 -0000, "Trent SC" <>
    wrote:

    >My colleague is running a Dell Dimension 8300, P4 3 GHz, 512 MB RAM, XP
    >Home.
    >
    >In the last couple of days it has been very problematic booting up, often
    >taking 10-15 minutes to get to the Windows logon screen. It displays the
    >Dell logo when it first boots, then goes to a black screen with a single
    >cursor in the upper left corner and hangs there for ages before showing the
    >normal XP loading screen and getting on with the start-up. Once it's up and
    >running, it behaves fine.
    >
    >I've virus-scanned with AVG, checked for spyware & adware (Lavasoft &
    >Spyware S&D), run through the start-up folder with msconfig and found
    >nothing particularly out of the ordinary, although my feeling is that this
    >issue occurs before Windows loads, so I wouldn't have expected to see much.
    >And on the same basis, I'm loathe to use System Restore, although it's there
    >as an option. No new applications have been installed for some weeks,

    No anti-virus definitions for some weeks? Not a good idea.

    >and
    >this has only been an issue for a few days.
    >
    >Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be?
    >
    >Many thanks.

    Check your Event Viewer. Then do a chkdsk and defrag. Also, do a
    search for files larger than 50 meg...and empty out all
    caches...especially temp Internet files.

    Sounds like a bad sector problem on the drive...or he's runnin' some
    Norton software.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 13, 2005
  5. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    >>My colleague is running a Dell Dimension 8300, P4 3 GHz, 512 MB RAM, XP
    >>Home.
    >>
    >>In the last couple of days it has been very problematic booting up, often
    >>taking 10-15 minutes to get to the Windows logon screen. It displays the
    >>Dell logo when it first boots, then goes to a black screen with a single
    >>cursor in the upper left corner and hangs there for ages before showing
    >>the
    >>normal XP loading screen and getting on with the start-up. Once it's up
    >>and
    >>running, it behaves fine.
    >>
    >>I've virus-scanned with AVG, checked for spyware & adware (Lavasoft &
    >>Spyware S&D), run through the start-up folder with msconfig and found
    >>nothing particularly out of the ordinary, although my feeling is that this
    >>issue occurs before Windows loads, so I wouldn't have expected to see
    >>much.
    >>And on the same basis, I'm loathe to use System Restore, although it's
    >>there
    >>as an option. No new applications have been installed for some weeks,

    > No anti-virus definitions for some weeks? Not a good idea.

    I said "no new applications have been installed". Downloading a .bin file
    hardly qualifies as installing a new application.

    >>and
    >>this has only been an issue for a few days.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be?
    >>
    >>Many thanks.
    >>

    > Check your Event Viewer. Then do a chkdsk and defrag. Also, do a
    > search for files larger than 50 meg...and empty out all
    > caches...especially temp Internet files.
    >
    > Sounds like a bad sector problem on the drive...or he's runnin' some
    > Norton software.

    Neither of which explains why the machine might function perfectly once
    Windows has loaded. And there's never been any Norton software installed

    Trent SC, Jan 13, 2005
  6. Trent SC

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:17:35 -0000, "Trent SC" <>
    wrote:

    >>>My colleague is running a Dell Dimension 8300, P4 3 GHz, 512 MB RAM, XP
    >>>Home.
    >>>
    >>>In the last couple of days it has been very problematic booting up, often
    >>>taking 10-15 minutes to get to the Windows logon screen. It displays the
    >>>Dell logo when it first boots, then goes to a black screen with a single
    >>>cursor in the upper left corner and hangs there for ages before showing
    >>>the
    >>>normal XP loading screen and getting on with the start-up. Once it's up
    >>>and
    >>>running, it behaves fine.
    >>>
    >>>I've virus-scanned with AVG, checked for spyware & adware (Lavasoft &
    >>>Spyware S&D), run through the start-up folder with msconfig and found
    >>>nothing particularly out of the ordinary, although my feeling is that this
    >>>issue occurs before Windows loads, so I wouldn't have expected to see
    >>>much.
    >>>And on the same basis, I'm loathe to use System Restore, although it's
    >>>there
    >>>as an option. No new applications have been installed for some weeks,

    >> No anti-virus definitions for some weeks? Not a good idea.

    >I said "no new applications have been installed". Downloading a .bin file
    >hardly qualifies as installing a new application.

    Do some research. See if updating a virus definition file has had a
    negative effect on some folks computers. Its not just a database
    file, ya know.

    >>>and
    >>>this has only been an issue for a few days.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be?
    >>>
    >>>Many thanks.
    >>>

    >> Check your Event Viewer. Then do a chkdsk and defrag. Also, do a
    >> search for files larger than 50 meg...and empty out all
    >> caches...especially temp Internet files.
    >>
    >> Sounds like a bad sector problem on the drive...or he's runnin' some
    >> Norton software.

    >Neither of which explains why the machine might function perfectly once
    >Windows has loaded. And there's never been any Norton software installed

    Why do you think bad sectors wouldn't shows these kinds of symptoms?

    Anyway...you asked for help. That's all the help I can give.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 14, 2005
  7. Trent SC

    borlaexu7

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    i am having the same problem

    i have an 8300 with p4 3.0, 1.5 gigs ram, and 6800xt video card...a program wasnt responding and it wouldnt go away so i turned off the computer after about 10 minutes of waiting. when i went to start it up agian the bios screen would load then the windows xp screen comes up to load with the blue bar goin across the screen then black screen with no cursor or nothin. anyone have any more input about this subject?

    THANKS alot

    borlaexu7, Oct 4, 2006