    [1] http://www.bextech.co.uk/voip/

    --
    PGP key: 7111B833
    adamc, Aug 19, 2005

  2. adamc

    adamc Guest

    On 2005-08-19, adamc <> wrote:
    > I am starting out with Voip and am having problems with X-Lite and the
    > 1866 iax service. I've configured it according to [1] but for some
    > reason, I fail to hear the person I am calling. They can hear me fine. I
    > know that this service is working, as I have it working with Firefly,
    > but I want to set this up on my linux box, hence the need to configure
    > X-Lite.
    >
    > Any pointers as to what might be going wrong? Is this a codec thing?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Adam
    >
    > [1] http://www.bextech.co.uk/voip/

    For 1866, I mean 1899.

    PGP key: 7111B833
    adamc, Aug 19, 2005

  3. Thus spaketh adamc:
    > On 2005-08-19, adamc <> wrote:
    >> I am starting out with Voip and am having problems with X-Lite and
    >> the 1866 iax service. I've configured it according to [1] but for
    >> some reason, I fail to hear the person I am calling. They can hear
    >> me fine. I know that this service is working, as I have it working
    >> with Firefly, but I want to set this up on my linux box, hence the
    >> need to configure X-Lite.
    >>
    >> Any pointers as to what might be going wrong? Is this a codec thing?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Adam
    >>
    >> [1] http://www.bextech.co.uk/voip/
    >>

    > For 1866, I mean 1899.

    Sounds like you have a router problem, you will need to open/forward some
    ports.

    For Free £10 credit when you get referred to TalkTalk or £5 when referred to
    easyMobile contact me via above site.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 20, 2005
  4. adamc

    adamc Guest

    On 2005-08-20, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    > Thus spaketh adamc:
    >> On 2005-08-19, adamc <> wrote:
    >>> I am starting out with Voip and am having problems with X-Lite and
    >>> the 1866 iax service. I've configured it according to [1] but for
    >>> some reason, I fail to hear the person I am calling. They can hear
    >>> me fine. I know that this service is working, as I have it working
    >>> with Firefly, but I want to set this up on my linux box, hence the
    >>> need to configure X-Lite.
    >>>
    >>> Any pointers as to what might be going wrong? Is this a codec thing?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Adam
    >>>
    >>> [1] http://www.bextech.co.uk/voip/
    >>>

    >> For 1866, I mean 1899.

    > Sounds like you have a router problem, you will need to open/forward some
    > ports.

    If it was just a port, what does Firefly do to get round that port that
    XLite cannot?

    Adam

    --
    PGP key: 7111B833
    adamc, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Thus spaketh adamc:
    > On 2005-08-20, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh adamc:

    >>> For 1866, I mean 1899.

    >> Sounds like you have a router problem, you will need to open/forward
    >> some ports.
    >>

    > If it was just a port, what does Firefly do to get round that port
    > that XLite cannot?
    >
    > Adam

    Are you using Firefly with the iax setting and X-Lite with the sip setting?
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 20, 2005
  6. adamc

    adamc Guest

    On 2005-08-20, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    > Thus spaketh adamc:
    >> On 2005-08-20, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Thus spaketh adamc:

    >>> Sounds like you have a router problem, you will need to open/forward
    >>> some ports.
    >>>

    >> If it was just a port, what does Firefly do to get round that port
    >> that XLite cannot?
    >>
    >> Adam

    > Are you using Firefly with the iax setting and X-Lite with the sip setting?

    I've not changed any setting on X-Lite - my guess is that Firefly
    automatically detects iax, whereas X-Lite doesn't.

    How do I config X-Lite to see an account as IAX instead of SIP?

    TIA
    Adam
    - --
    PGP key: 7111B833
    adamc, Aug 20, 2005
  7. adamc

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "adamc" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I've not changed any setting on X-Lite - my guess is that
    > Firefly automatically detects iax, whereas X-Lite doesn't.
    >
    > How do I config X-Lite to see an account as IAX instead
    > of SIP?

    Does X-Lite handle IAX..? I thought it was purely SIP, but I could be
    wrong.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2005
  8. Thus spaketh adamc:

    > On 2005-08-20, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh adamc:

    >>> If it was just a port, what does Firefly do to get round that port
    >>> that XLite cannot?
    >>>
    >>> Adam

    >> Are you using Firefly with the iax setting and X-Lite with the sip
    >> setting?
    >>

    > I've not changed any setting on X-Lite - my guess is that Firefly
    > automatically detects iax, whereas X-Lite doesn't.
    >
    > How do I config X-Lite to see an account as IAX instead of SIP?
    >
    > TIA
    > Adam

    In the proxy settings enter iax.1899.com in place of where you have sip.......
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 21, 2005
  9. Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
    > "adamc" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> I've not changed any setting on X-Lite - my guess is that
    >> Firefly automatically detects iax, whereas X-Lite doesn't.
    >>
    >> How do I config X-Lite to see an account as IAX instead
    >> of SIP?

    > Does X-Lite handle IAX..? I thought it was purely SIP, but I could be
    > wrong.
    >
    > Ivor

    Yes, x-lite handles iax.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 21, 2005
  10. adamc

    Roly Guest

    >> Does X-Lite handle IAX..? I thought it was purely SIP, but I could be
    >> wrong.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > Yes, x-lite handles iax.

    No it doesn't - not according to the authors of the program anyway. The only
    protocol it supports is SIP.

    Roly.
    Roly, Aug 21, 2005
  11. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:39:28 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >In the proxy settings enter iax.1899.com in place of where you have sip.......

    same protocol, different URL for same server.

    X-lite isn't an IAX client.

    Phil
    --

    Usenet spam eaten by a Hamster
    No more 81.110.218.193 :))
    Phil Thompson, Aug 21, 2005
  12. Thus spaketh Roly:
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >>> Does X-Lite handle IAX..? I thought it was purely SIP, but I could
    >>> be wrong.
    >>>
    >>> Ivor

    >> Yes, x-lite handles iax.

    > No it doesn't - not according to the authors of the program anyway.
    > The only protocol it supports is SIP.
    >
    > Roly.

    Strange then, I have been using it all this time and still am with a few iax
    entries!!!
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 22, 2005
  13. Thus spaketh Phil Thompson:
    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:39:28 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> In the proxy settings enter iax.1899.com in place of where you have
    >> sip.......

    > same protocol, different URL for same server.
    >
    > X-lite isn't an IAX client.
    >

    > Phil

    So does x-lite / 1899 just ignore the fact I have entered iax.1899.com and
    switch to sip.1899.com ?
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 22, 2005
  14. adamc

    Brian Guest

    On 22.08.2005, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    > So does x-lite / 1899 just ignore the fact I have entered iax.1899.com and
    > switch to sip.1899.com ?

    Yes. I imagine the 1899.com software can determine which protocol your
    device wants to use and opens the appropriate channel.

    Brian.
    Brian, Aug 22, 2005
  15. adamc

    Paul Cupis Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > So does x-lite / 1899 just ignore the fact I have entered iax.1899.com and
    > switch to sip.1899.com ?

    They resolve to the same servers, so there is nothing to ignore.

    $ host iax.1899.com
    iax.1899.com A 213.61.187.157
    iax.1899.com A 213.61.187.156
    $ host sip.1899.com
    sip.1899.com A 213.61.187.157
    sip.1899.com A 213.61.187.156
    $
    Paul Cupis, Aug 22, 2005
  16. adamc

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > On 22.08.2005, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >>So does x-lite / 1899 just ignore the fact I have entered iax.1899.com and
    >>switch to sip.1899.com ?

    > Yes. I imagine the 1899.com software can determine which protocol your
    > device wants to use and opens the appropriate channel.

    Hmm, not quite. If you use X-Lite, it will try to connect to the SIP
    port on the server (5060 by default). If you use an IAX client it will
    try to connect to the IAX port on the server (default 5036).

    It's to do with the client software, not the server.
    Paul Cupis, Aug 22, 2005
  17. adamc

    Steve Loft Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    > So does x-lite / 1899 just ignore the fact I have entered iax.1899.com and
    > switch to sip.1899.com ?

    As Phil says, they're different names for the same machine, they resolve
    to the same IP address(es). So it doesn't matter which you use.
    --
    Steve Loft
    Steve Loft, Aug 22, 2005
  18. On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:35:40 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >So does x-lite / 1899 just ignore the fact I have entered iax.1899.com and
    >switch to sip.1899.com ?

    no, the question is do they resolve to the same IP and/or do both
    offer both SIP and IAX.

    x-lite will address the SIP port on the IP address resolved from the
    server name. It could be bollocks.1899.com but that wouldn't make
    x-lite talk bollocks.

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)
    Phil Thompson, Aug 22, 2005
  19. adamc

    Roly Guest

    > Strange then, I have been using it all this time and still am with a few
    > iax entries!!!

    As Phil explains quite well in other posts below - using iax.blah.com to
    register against compared to using sip.blah.com should not be confused with
    the actual protocol being used to handle the call.

    Firefly does indeed support both SIP and IAX protocols but X-Lite is SIP
    only.

    Roly.
    Roly, Aug 22, 2005
  20. adamc

    Brian Guest

    On 22.08.2005, Paul Cupis wrote:

    > Brian wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes. I imagine the 1899.com software can determine which protocol your
    >> device wants to use and opens the appropriate channel.

    > Hmm, not quite. If you use X-Lite, it will try to connect to the SIP
    > port on the server (5060 by default). If you use an IAX client it will
    > try to connect to the IAX port on the server (default 5036).

    Fine. This is clearer than what I wrote.

    > It's to do with the client software, not the server.

    Except the server must be set up to accept connections on either port.

    Brian.
    Brian, Aug 22, 2005