Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on com

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by masani paresh, Jul 18, 2008.

  1. Hi,
    We are using home PCs and for them both the interfaces wired and wireless
    required. We found a severe problems with this configuration. It might be
    related TCP stack problem or how Microsoft OS selects interface for the
    outgoing packates. We have debuging a lot and we came out with the
    following problem:

    When both the interfaces wired and wiredless available on the computer
    then computer always selects the wired interface for outgoing packates.

    Because of this some of our application is not working. For example, We use
    the Real VNC for taking a VNC. If we try to connects to a computer having
    both interfaces then we are able to connect via wired IP address but not via
    wireless IP address. This is becuase computer getting request as a SYN
    packate from another machine on wireless interface but it replies via wired
    Interface. Thus the machine which has put the request for connection will
    discard the packates as it will assume that it did not send any packates on
    that interface.

    Could any one help us here to solve this problem so that comupter should
    reply from the same interface from where packates arrived. I have tried to
    lower the metrics for wireless interface to give the priority to it but no
    luck.

    Thanks,
    Paresh

    masani paresh, Jul 18, 2008

  2. "masani paresh" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > We are using home PCs and for them both the interfaces wired and wireless
    > required. We found a severe problems with this configuration.

    Yep.
    Don't do it.
    Never run two or more Nics on the same IP Segment at the same time unless
    you are doing Nic Teaming (which you aren't). Wired -vs- wireless is
    completely irrelevant, it just doesn't matter.
    Disable the one you don't want to use. Wired is faster and more dependable,
    it should be prefered first. Use wireless only when wired isn't available.

    175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;175767

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jul 18, 2008

  3. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    Thanks for reply. Both wired and wiredless connection is required for us some
    times. And these both the interfaces are not in same network. Both are having
    its own network.

    Let me give more details here. The source machine which is placing request
    via SYN for connection on Wireless interface is getting the response packate
    SYN ACK with the wireless IP but still it is discarding the packate and
    sending RST packates. I think here may be MAC address is the problem. I could
    see that the response packate contains Wireless IP address which comes
    through wired interface but this packate dont have wireless MAC address. it
    contains wired MAC address. I am not sure may be this is problem.

    Moreover, I could ping wireless IP successfuly but not able to access C:
    drive through \\WirelessIP\C$.. Everything is working fine through wired IP
    address because it replying on wired interface only. For replying source
    machine not using wireless IP interface at any point.

    Thanks,
    Paresh

    The only problem is when

    masani paresh, Jul 18, 2008
  4. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    > Thanks for reply. Both wired and wiredless connection is required for us
    > some
    > times.
    >And these both the interfaces are not in same network. Both are having
    > its own network.

    > Let me give more details here. The source machine which is placing
    > request
    > via SYN for connection on Wireless interface is getting the response
    > packate
    > SYN ACK ........

    Then you have a bad environment design, that I don't have any hope of
    figuring out. It sounds like you have two networks running over the same
    physical segment or that these "two networks" are not running different IP
    Ranges like they should be. I don't know.
    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jul 18, 2008
  5. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    Hi
    Can you give an example for the two IP addresses.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 18, 2008
  6. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    Sure please note the following behaviour of our network. Please note that
    everything is working fine via wired interface as both machines are in same
    network via wireless but not via wireless. I also tried to disabled the the
    default gateway and kept only one but no luck.

    I did following tests and got the packets information using wireshark.

    If I disable wireless interface then there is no use and behavior will be
    same. Now I have disabled wired interface as below:

    C:\route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 149.77.172.10
    C:\ipconfig /flushdns
    C:\>route print
    Interface List
    0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
    0x2 ...00 1c 23 3b 32 21 ...... Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet -
    Determinis
    tic Network Enhancer Miniport
    0x3 ...00 1f 3c 32 e3 8e ...... Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
    Connection
    - Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport
    Active Routes:
    Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 149.77.163.129 149.77.163.239 1
    127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
    149.77.163.128 255.255.255.128 149.77.163.239 149.77.163.239 25
    149.77.163.239 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
    149.77.172.0 255.255.252.0 149.77.172.132 149.77.172.132 10
    149.77.172.132 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 10
    149.77.255.255 255.255.255.255 149.77.163.239 149.77.163.239 25
    149.77.255.255 255.255.255.255 149.77.172.132 149.77.172.132 10
    224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 149.77.163.239 149.77.163.239 25
    224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 149.77.172.132 149.77.172.132 10
    255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 149.77.163.239 149.77.163.239 1
    255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 149.77.172.132 149.77.172.132 1
    Default Gateway: 149.77.172.10
    Persistent Routes: None

    Now only wireless interface is there on destination machine. Now from source
    machine(149.77.175.220), if I tried to do \\149.77.163.239\C$ then also I am
    getting "Network path not found"(Please refer the attached snapshots of both
    the machines packets trace).But still \\149.77.172.132\C$ works fine. This
    will work because through wired interface communication router will not come
    into the picture as both the machines(while looking as wired interface) are
    in same network so they can communicate via access switch itself.

    Aha...I got the exact problem now. Please see below:

    When I try to do \\149.77.163.239\C$(wireless IP - this is destination
    machine) from 149.77.175.220(wired IP - this is Source machine) the request
    goes via local router to 149.77.163.239 because source machine will
    understand that wireless IP 149.77.163.239 is not in my network. When
    destination 149.77.163.239 machine got the request from 149.77.175.220, it
    will understand that this machine is in my network(because of wired
    149.77.172.132 IP) and it will reply via access switch. Ahaa I think now I am
    right. What I want even though destination machine understand that
    149.77.175.220 is in my network, it should sent a reply packet via the
    interface from where packets arrived. If this is done then there will not be
    any problem.

    Could you suggest to make this possible so that destination machine should
    reply from the interface from where request packate arrieved.

    Thanks,
    Paresh

    masani paresh, Jul 19, 2008
  7. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    Please also note that if i remove wired interface cable then wireless IP is
    starts working without any problems. but both are not wokring together.

    Thanks,
    Paresh

    masani paresh, Jul 19, 2008
  8. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    Hi
    It probably goes to whatever is the default gateway at the time.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 19, 2008
  9. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    Hi Jack,
    I think you did not read following update. I have also tried after deleting
    wired interface defauld gateway. Please see below:
    --------

    masani paresh, Jul 21, 2008
  10. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    I think this problem is nothing to do with an our network architecture but
    its related to packate forwarding rules.** If machine replies on the
    interface from where packate arrieves then there will not be any problem.**
    Could any one please let me know if this is happening in Microsoft TCP stack?

    Here it is giving priority over local lan over wireless and the problem is
    arised.

    Thanks,
    Paresh

    masani paresh, Jul 21, 2008
  11. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    >I think this problem is nothing to do with an our network architecture but
    > its related to packate forwarding rules.** If machine replies on the
    > interface from where packate arrieves then there will not be any
    > problem.**
    > Could any one please let me know if this is happening in Microsoft TCP
    > stack?

    It ain't gonna happen. The "decision" is not based on "the nic it arrived
    on". The decision is based on the Destination as it applies to the OS's
    Routing Table.

    The incomming packets and the outgoing packets are two entirely separate
    communication streams. They have no relation or effect on each other.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jul 21, 2008
  12. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    Could you please let me know if there is any way to make this based on "the
    nic it arrived on" so that machine should packates on the interface from
    where request packates arrived.

    Thanks,
    Paresh

    masani paresh, Jul 23, 2008
  13. Re: Problems while both interfaces wired and wireless available on

    How many times to I have to say "IT CAN"T BE DONE"

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
    http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/partners/hardwarepartners.mspx

    Phillip Windell, Jul 24, 2008