    means it should startup in the state from the last shutdown.
    Unfortunately it almost always starts up in offline mode even though
    the machine is always connected. Have I hit a bug?

    Rick Farmer, May 8, 2005

  2. Rick Farmer

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Rick Farmer wrote:
    > I can't figure out how to force Moz to startup in online mode. I
    > found a few threads here from about a year ago that went over the
    > subject, but I've got the offline.startup bit set to 0 (false) which
    > means it should startup in the state from the last shutdown.
    > Unfortunately it almost always starts up in offline mode even though
    > the machine is always connected. Have I hit a bug?

    How did you set the startup preference? Using about:config? If so, try
    putting the preference in your user.js file and see if that helps.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 8, 2005

  3. Rick Farmer

    Rick Farmer Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 11:26:27 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >Rick Farmer wrote:
    >> I can't figure out how to force Moz to startup in online mode. I
    >> found a few threads here from about a year ago that went over the
    >> subject, but I've got the offline.startup bit set to 0 (false) which
    >> means it should startup in the state from the last shutdown.
    >> Unfortunately it almost always starts up in offline mode even though
    >> the machine is always connected. Have I hit a bug?
    >>

    >How did you set the startup preference? Using about:config? If so, try
    >putting the preference in your user.js file and see if that helps.

    Yeah, I used the about:config. I looked through my user.js but I
    didn't see anything that looked applicable. I did find years worth of
    cruft in each of those files from years of upgrading. I might just be
    better off nuking the lot and starting over after exporting my email
    and bookmarks.

    Rick Farmer, May 8, 2005
  4. Rick Farmer

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Rick Farmer wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 May 2005 11:26:27 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >

    >>Rick Farmer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't figure out how to force Moz to startup in online mode. I
    >>>found a few threads here from about a year ago that went over the
    >>>subject, but I've got the offline.startup bit set to 0 (false) which
    >>>means it should startup in the state from the last shutdown.
    >>>Unfortunately it almost always starts up in offline mode even though
    >>>the machine is always connected. Have I hit a bug?
    >>>

    >>How did you set the startup preference? Using about:config? If so, try
    >>putting the preference in your user.js file and see if that helps.

    > Yeah, I used the about:config. I looked through my user.js but I
    > didn't see anything that looked applicable. I did find years worth of
    > cruft in each of those files from years of upgrading. I might just be
    > better off nuking the lot and starting over after exporting my email
    > and bookmarks.

    My point was that if you used about:config the preference change is
    stored in either the prefs.js file or some other obscure place.
    However, if you put it in the user.js file that is read each time the
    program is loaded and supercedes native program prefs. Worth a try.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 8, 2005
  5. Rick Farmer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Rick Farmer wrote:
    > I can't figure out how to force Moz to startup in online mode. I
    > found a few threads here from about a year ago that went over the
    > subject, but I've got the offline.startup bit set to 0 (false) which
    > means it should startup in the state from the last shutdown.
    > Unfortunately it almost always starts up in offline mode even though
    > the machine is always connected. Have I hit a bug?

    Hmm, which Moz are you talking about?

    Firefox is defaulted online, and requires an extension for offline use,
    so thats probably not it
    the suite perhaps?

    Mozilla-->Mail & Newsgroups-->Offline & Disk Space
    When starting up
    X Remember Previous State

    this will cause Mozilla to start up in offline mode, if you quit in
    offline mode of course
    but will cause it to start in online mode if you quit in that state.

    X Ask for Online Status

    this will cause Mozilla to ask you what mode it should be in when it
    starts, online or offline

    This preference actually should be somewhere else (General?) but was
    moved here due to a bug

    Personally, I simply leave it at Remember, and if it so happens I quit
    in offline mode, hit the connection 'plug' on the status bar to correct
    it. I seldom use offline mode tho.

    Moz Champion, May 12, 2005