Problems setting up Home Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Theslaz, Jan 23, 2009.

  1. Theslaz

    Theslaz Guest

    I have two desktop computers and a laptop that I wish to run a home
    network on. All three are running Windows XP Home Edition with Service
    pack 3. The two desktops are hardwired to a wireless hub. The laptop
    is using a wireless connection. The hub is connected to a DSL modem.
    All three have a working internet connection.
    These three computers were previously connected via a home network.
    However; I had to reinstall windows XP on one of the desktops because
    of various problems. Of course; they would not connect to each other
    after the reinstall.
    I then attempted to reconfigure the three so they would connect to
    each other.

    In the Home network setup wizard; I have choosen the " This computer
    connects to the internet either directly or through a network hub.
    Other computers also connect directly or through a network hub"
    I than set the name of the computer; the description and the workgroup
    name.
    I than let the wizard create a network setup disk.

    I run the setup disk in the laptop. I than make sure that the
    workgroup name is the same as the desktop.

    I try to access the desktop with negative results. I try from the
    desktop to access the laptop with negative results.

    I did not run the network setup disk in the second desktop.

    At this point I have done nothing to the second desktop which was
    previously networked. I attempt a connection between the laptop and
    this second desktop. It connects. I attempt a connection between this
    second desktop and the laptop; it connects. Problem is; they have a
    different Workgroup name. How is that possible?? The first desktop and
    the laptop have the same workgroup name; and they don't connect.

    Any suggestions?? Obviously doing something wrong!
    Theslaz, Jan 23, 2009

  2. Theslaz

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jan 23, 6:15 pm, Theslaz <> wrote:
    > I have two desktop computers and a laptop that I wish to run a home
    > network on. All three are running Windows XP Home Edition with Service
    > pack 3. The two desktops are hardwired to a wireless hub. The laptop
    > is using a wireless connection. The hub is connected to a  DSL modem.
    > All three have a working internet connection.
    > These three computers were previously connected via a home network.
    > However; I had to reinstall windows XP on one of the desktops because
    > of various problems. Of course; they would not connect to each other
    > after the reinstall.
    > I then attempted to reconfigure the three so they would connect to
    > each other.
    >
    > In the Home network setup wizard; I have choosen the " This computer
    > connects to the internet either directly or through a network hub.
    > Other computers also connect directly or through a network hub"
    > I than set the name of the computer; the description and the workgroup
    > name.
    > I than let the wizard create a  network setup disk.
    >
    > I run the setup disk in the laptop. I than make sure that the
    > workgroup name is the same as the desktop.
    >
    > I try to access the desktop with negative results. I try from the
    > desktop to access the laptop with negative results.
    >
    > I did not run the network setup disk in the second desktop.
    >
    > At this point I have done nothing to the second desktop which was
    > previously networked. I attempt a connection between the laptop and
    > this second desktop. It connects. I attempt a connection between this
    > second desktop and the laptop; it connects. Problem is; they have a
    > different Workgroup name. How is that possible?? The first desktop and
    > the laptop have the same workgroup name; and they don't connect.
    >
    > Any suggestions?? Obviously doing something wrong!

    It would help to know make / model of wireless router. Several
    routers offer a setting which prevents any wireless connection from
    seeing a wired connect. I even seen a time where this also blocked a
    wireless connection seeing another wireless connection.
    smlunatick, Jan 23, 2009

  3. Theslaz

    Lem Guest

    Theslaz wrote:
    > I have two desktop computers and a laptop that I wish to run a home
    > network on. All three are running Windows XP Home Edition with Service
    > pack 3. The two desktops are hardwired to a wireless hub. The laptop
    > is using a wireless connection. The hub is connected to a DSL modem.
    > All three have a working internet connection.
    > These three computers were previously connected via a home network.
    > However; I had to reinstall windows XP on one of the desktops because
    > of various problems. Of course; they would not connect to each other
    > after the reinstall.
    > I then attempted to reconfigure the three so they would connect to
    > each other.
    >
    > In the Home network setup wizard; I have choosen the " This computer
    > connects to the internet either directly or through a network hub.
    > Other computers also connect directly or through a network hub"
    > I than set the name of the computer; the description and the workgroup
    > name.
    > I than let the wizard create a network setup disk.
    >
    > I run the setup disk in the laptop. I than make sure that the
    > workgroup name is the same as the desktop.
    >
    > I try to access the desktop with negative results. I try from the
    > desktop to access the laptop with negative results.
    >
    > I did not run the network setup disk in the second desktop.
    >
    > At this point I have done nothing to the second desktop which was
    > previously networked. I attempt a connection between the laptop and
    > this second desktop. It connects. I attempt a connection between this
    > second desktop and the laptop; it connects. Problem is; they have a
    > different Workgroup name. How is that possible?? The first desktop and
    > the laptop have the same workgroup name; and they don't connect.
    >
    > Any suggestions?? Obviously doing something wrong!

    Do you really have a "wireless hub" [make/model please]? Most home users
    have a wireless *router* and would select the option in the Network
    Setup Wizard that "This computer connects to the Internet through
    another computer on my network or through a residential gateway."

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jan 23, 2009
  4. Theslaz

    Theslaz Guest

    Lem wrote:
    > Theslaz wrote:
    >> I have two desktop computers and a laptop that I wish to run a home
    >> network on. All three are running Windows XP Home Edition with Service
    >> pack 3. The two desktops are hardwired to a wireless hub. The laptop
    >> is using a wireless connection. The hub is connected to a DSL modem.
    >> All three have a working internet connection.
    >> These three computers were previously connected via a home network.
    >> However; I had to reinstall windows XP on one of the desktops because
    >> of various problems. Of course; they would not connect to each other
    >> after the reinstall.
    >> I then attempted to reconfigure the three so they would connect to
    >> each other.
    >>
    >> In the Home network setup wizard; I have choosen the " This computer
    >> connects to the internet either directly or through a network hub.
    >> Other computers also connect directly or through a network hub"
    >> I than set the name of the computer; the description and the workgroup
    >> name.
    >> I than let the wizard create a network setup disk.
    >>
    >> I run the setup disk in the laptop. I than make sure that the
    >> workgroup name is the same as the desktop.
    >>
    >> I try to access the desktop with negative results. I try from the
    >> desktop to access the laptop with negative results.
    >>
    >> I did not run the network setup disk in the second desktop.
    >>
    >> At this point I have done nothing to the second desktop which was
    >> previously networked. I attempt a connection between the laptop and
    >> this second desktop. It connects. I attempt a connection between this
    >> second desktop and the laptop; it connects. Problem is; they have a
    >> different Workgroup name. How is that possible?? The first desktop and
    >> the laptop have the same workgroup name; and they don't connect.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?? Obviously doing something wrong!

    > Do you really have a "wireless hub" [make/model please]? Most home users
    > have a wireless *router* and would select the option in the Network
    > Setup Wizard that "This computer connects to the Internet through
    > another computer on my network or through a residential gateway."

    My mistake; it is a wireless router. The two desktops are hardwired to
    the router and the laptop uses a wireless connection.

    It is a D-Link; "AirPlus Extreme G"

    I tried the routine you suggested with the "Residential Gateway" with
    negative results.
    Theslaz, Jan 23, 2009
  5. Hi
    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 23, 2009
  6. Theslaz

    Lem Guest

    Theslaz wrote:
    > Lem wrote:
    >> Theslaz wrote:
    >>> I have two desktop computers and a laptop that I wish to run a home
    >>> network on. All three are running Windows XP Home Edition with Service
    >>> pack 3. The two desktops are hardwired to a wireless hub. The laptop
    >>> is using a wireless connection. The hub is connected to a DSL modem.
    >>> All three have a working internet connection.
    >>> These three computers were previously connected via a home network.
    >>> However; I had to reinstall windows XP on one of the desktops because
    >>> of various problems. Of course; they would not connect to each other
    >>> after the reinstall.
    >>> I then attempted to reconfigure the three so they would connect to
    >>> each other.
    >>>
    >>> In the Home network setup wizard; I have choosen the " This computer
    >>> connects to the internet either directly or through a network hub.
    >>> Other computers also connect directly or through a network hub"
    >>> I than set the name of the computer; the description and the workgroup
    >>> name.
    >>> I than let the wizard create a network setup disk.
    >>>
    >>> I run the setup disk in the laptop. I than make sure that the
    >>> workgroup name is the same as the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> I try to access the desktop with negative results. I try from the
    >>> desktop to access the laptop with negative results.
    >>>
    >>> I did not run the network setup disk in the second desktop.
    >>>
    >>> At this point I have done nothing to the second desktop which was
    >>> previously networked. I attempt a connection between the laptop and
    >>> this second desktop. It connects. I attempt a connection between this
    >>> second desktop and the laptop; it connects. Problem is; they have a
    >>> different Workgroup name. How is that possible?? The first desktop and
    >>> the laptop have the same workgroup name; and they don't connect.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?? Obviously doing something wrong!

    >> Do you really have a "wireless hub" [make/model please]? Most home
    >> users have a wireless *router* and would select the option in the
    >> Network Setup Wizard that "This computer connects to the Internet
    >> through another computer on my network or through a residential gateway."
    >>

    > My mistake; it is a wireless router. The two desktops are hardwired to
    > the router and the laptop uses a wireless connection.
    >
    > It is a D-Link; "AirPlus Extreme G"
    >
    > I tried the routine you suggested with the "Residential Gateway" with
    > negative results.

    As Jack says, there are a few more things to do to allow successful file
    and printer sharing over a home network. In addition to reading Jack's
    website, below is standard networking advice from MVP Malke. For XP, you
    don't *have* to have all computers in the same workgroup, but doing so
    may make some operations smoother. Open System Properties, click on
    "Computer Name" tab, then click the "Change" button. You'll see the
    place to enter the Workgroup name there.

    <Malke's advice>
    File/printer sharing

    Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
    files and folders:

    For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
    caveat in Item A below).

    Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
    caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including
    a stateful firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls
    such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or
    3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup
    machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not
    permit it.

    A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
    (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
    File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
    Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
    "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
    aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
    "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
    firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
    configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
    CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

    B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
    This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

    C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
    not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
    passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
    accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
    NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
    machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
    account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
    work for both XP and Vista:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
    Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

    E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    home directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside
    those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents
    folder.
    See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

    F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by
    exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer
    connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that
    machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest
    drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target
    machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine.
    If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard.
    In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local
    printers but that is outside of this response.
    </Malke's Advice>
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jan 23, 2009
  7. Theslaz

    Theslaz Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > Hi
    > settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
    > Windows XP File Sharing -
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Theslaz" <> wrote in message
    >> I have two desktop computers and a laptop that I wish to run a home
    >> network on. All three are running Windows XP Home Edition with Service
    >> pack 3. The two desktops are hardwired to a wireless hub. The laptop
    >> is using a wireless connection. The hub is connected to a DSL modem.
    >> All three have a working internet connection.
    >> These three computers were previously connected via a home network.
    >> However; I had to reinstall windows XP on one of the desktops because
    >> of various problems. Of course; they would not connect to each other
    >> after the reinstall.
    >> I then attempted to reconfigure the three so they would connect to
    >> each other.
    >>
    >> In the Home network setup wizard; I have choosen the " This computer
    >> connects to the internet either directly or through a network hub.
    >> Other computers also connect directly or through a network hub"
    >> I than set the name of the computer; the description and the workgroup
    >> name.
    >> I than let the wizard create a network setup disk.
    >>
    >> I run the setup disk in the laptop. I than make sure that the
    >> workgroup name is the same as the desktop.
    >>
    >> I try to access the desktop with negative results. I try from the
    >> desktop to access the laptop with negative results.
    >>
    >> I did not run the network setup disk in the second desktop.
    >>
    >> At this point I have done nothing to the second desktop which was
    >> previously networked. I attempt a connection between the laptop and
    >> this second desktop. It connects. I attempt a connection between this
    >> second desktop and the laptop; it connects. Problem is; they have a
    >> different Workgroup name. How is that possible?? The first desktop and
    >> the laptop have the same workgroup name; and they don't connect.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?? Obviously doing something wrong!

    I thank you all for your prompt replies. The problem apparently was the
    Norton Firewall. Had to allow it to connect to the other two computers.
    When I did the reinstall; Norton was included as a 90 day trial; I
    therefore decided to use it even though I have a paid subscription for
    Trend Micro. Didn't have this problem with Trend!
    One issue I'm having right now on the computer that I did the reinstall
    is; when I click on "My Network Places"; nothing will show; yet when I
    click on "Workgroup Computers"; my other two computers show. Why??
    Theslaz, Jan 23, 2009
  8. Hi
    Yeah, these 90 days trial of NIS' are the Root of a lot of trouble.
    NIS can be turned to work well, alas many times its Default setting is Bad
    to many forms of network configuration, and the owners need either to really
    become expert in it, or to get rid of it.
    As for the Missing computer.
    check that its Network Name (Group name) is the same as the others.
    Make sure that something is set to share on the computer.
    If Nothing is shared then there is No reason to be on the Network.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 24, 2009
  9. Theslaz

    Theslaz Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > Yeah, these 90 days trial of NIS' are the Root of a lot of trouble.
    > NIS can be turned to work well, alas many times its Default setting is
    > Bad to many forms of network configuration, and the owners need either
    > to really become expert in it, or to get rid of it.
    > As for the Missing computer.
    > check that its Network Name (Group name) is the same as the others.
    > Make sure that something is set to share on the computer.
    > If Nothing is shared then there is No reason to be on the Network.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Theslaz" <> wrote in message
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Hi
    >>> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
    >>> settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >>> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it
    >>> is allowed to be shared.
    >>> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
    >>> Windows XP File Sharing -
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
    >>> Printer Sharing XP -
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
    >>> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >>> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>
    >>> "Theslaz" <> wrote in message

    >> I thank you all for your prompt replies. The problem apparently was
    >> the Norton Firewall. Had to allow it to connect to the other two
    >> computers. When I did the reinstall; Norton was included as a 90 day
    >> trial; I therefore decided to use it even though I have a paid
    >> subscription for Trend Micro. Didn't have this problem with Trend!
    >> One issue I'm having right now on the computer that I did the
    >> reinstall is; when I click on "My Network Places"; nothing will show;
    >> yet when I click on "Workgroup Computers"; my other two computers
    >> show. Why??

    Group names are the same and I have set each computer to share files. No
    big deal; just wondering what would cause this!
    Theslaz, Jan 24, 2009
  10. Hi
    The Network/Internet system of the computers is a "Live Animal" many factor
    both internal and external ("dished" by Internet pages) can create variation
    in the system.
    If every one would really adhere to standards and compatibility it would
    happen less, alas this is Not always the case.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 24, 2009
  11. Theslaz

    Theslaz Guest

    What does "MVP" mean? Not once in all your rants did you even mention "
    Check your Firewall Settings" Enough with our canned replies!

    Theslaz, Jan 25, 2009
  12. Theslaz

    Pavel A. Guest

    Theslaz wrote:
    > What does "MVP" mean? Not once in all your rants did you even mention "
    > Check your Firewall Settings" Enough with our canned replies!

    Theslaz,

    MVP means "Most Valuable Professional". This status is awarded
    for high expertise and commitment in helping one or more MS
    technical communities. MVPs aren't MS support personnel, they help
    as volunteers, in their free time.

    Now, in order to deserve a non-canned reply, you need to come
    with a really genuine problem, as MVP Jack Rattok answers networking
    question for several years, and created a whole web site of useful FAQ
    topics.

    Regards,
    -- pa
    Pavel A., Jan 25, 2009
  13. Hi
    The beginning of the page http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.htm contains a rather
    long "story" about Firewalls.
    The link to the page was posted as the first link in my first post to this
    thread two days ago.
    Since the problem with your network could stem from variety of issues there
    was No way to just post an answer Check your Firewall.
    Thank you for appreciating the time and effort that my self as well as other
    are investing in providing free help.
    What does "MVP" mean? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 25, 2009