Problems selecting a new camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger Matthews, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. I have had Nikon Coolpix "Bridge" cameras (CP 5700 and the CP8700) and these
    suit me quite well but I find the user interface on them both a bit clunky,
    and have been minded to upgrade.

    I fancied:

    a longer zoom range (10x or 12x),
    image stabilisation,
    a zoom starting at 28mm (35mm equiv) if possible,
    to continue to have a small(ish) footprint preferably no bigger or heavier
    than the CP8700,
    spot metering,
    a more "user friendly" interface,
    robust construction,
    a current model.

    I didn't want:
    interchangeable lenses (if I can get a wide zoom range)

    I had decided that, even though it didn't meet all of my desires, a Nikon
    CP8800 fitted my bill most nearly and resolved to order one. I now find that
    Nikon have discontinued it and do not make another product even vaguely like
    it! Bother!

    Without wishing to start "Camera Wars", can anyone suggest an alternative
    product?

    TIA,

    Roger

    Roger Matthews, Jun 16, 2006

  2. Roger Matthews wrote:
    > I have had Nikon Coolpix "Bridge" cameras (CP 5700 and the CP8700)
    > and these suit me quite well but I find the user interface on them
    > both a bit clunky, and have been minded to upgrade.
    >
    > I fancied:
    >
    > a longer zoom range (10x or 12x),
    > image stabilisation,
    > a zoom starting at 28mm (35mm equiv) if possible,
    > to continue to have a small(ish) footprint preferably no bigger or
    > heavier than the CP8700,
    > spot metering,
    > a more "user friendly" interface,
    > robust construction,
    > a current model.
    >
    > I didn't want:
    > interchangeable lenses (if I can get a wide zoom range)
    >
    > I had decided that, even though it didn't meet all of my desires, a
    > Nikon CP8800 fitted my bill most nearly and resolved to order one. I
    > now find that Nikon have discontinued it and do not make another
    > product even vaguely like it! Bother!
    >
    > Without wishing to start "Camera Wars", can anyone suggest an
    > alternative product?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Roger

    Why not look for one still in a store or a used one. The fact that it
    may have been discontinued does not in any way reduce it's potential value
    to you or its function.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 16, 2006

  3. Roger Matthews

    Jessie James Guest

    You just about described the Panasonic FZ30

    Jessie James, Jun 16, 2006
  4. Roger Matthews

    WiNK Guest

    "Jessie James" <> wrote in message
    > You just about described the Panasonic FZ30

    Or how about the slightly less expensive FZ7? ;-)

    Nadine

    WiNK, Jun 16, 2006
  5. Roger Matthews

    tomm42 Guest

    > Why not look for one still in a store or a used one. The fact that it
    > may have been discontinued does not in any way reduce it's potential value
    > to you or its function.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit

    I agree here find a used Coolpix 8800, you may even be able to find one
    new. Cameras get discontinued every day, often just means slight
    improvements. In Nikon's case they felt their D50 was such a superior
    camera (at higher ISOs it is) and cost about the same as the 8800, why
    continue the lesser camera. Nikon gambled on most folks were willing to
    make the step up.
    That said Sony has a camera with most of the DSLR feature and the ones
    you want (except the 10x zoom) the R1. By all reports and excellent
    camera. But more expensive than the average single lens super zoom.
    A lot of photographers like the Panasonics, I'm not crazy about their
    build quality, but they have a lot of rabbid followers so the must be
    doing something right. They do have a good 10-12x zoom. The file
    quality seems to be a little rough compared to Nikons, so take some
    pics first borrow one for a weekend if you can.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jun 16, 2006
  6. Roger Matthews

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    > You just about described the Panasonic FZ30

    I think you mean the Panasonic TZ1...he wanted a small camera.

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, Jun 16, 2006
  7. Roger Matthews

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Roger Matthews wrote:
    > I have had Nikon Coolpix "Bridge" cameras (CP 5700 and the CP8700) and these
    > suit me quite well but I find the user interface on them both a bit clunky,
    > and have been minded to upgrade.
    >
    > I fancied:
    >
    > a longer zoom range (10x or 12x),
    > image stabilisation,
    > a zoom starting at 28mm (35mm equiv) if possible,
    > to continue to have a small(ish) footprint preferably no bigger or heavier
    > than the CP8700,
    > spot metering,
    > a more "user friendly" interface,
    > robust construction,
    > a current model.

    Have you looked at the Panasonic DMC-FZ30?

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard, Jun 18, 2006