Problems Reading SD Card with XtraDrive USB Reader

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill A, Dec 21, 2006.

  1. Bill A

    Bill A Guest

    Hi:

    I purchased an XtraDrive Portable Card Reader to read my SD Card via
    the USB Port on a computer.

    The Card is a SanDisk 128 MB Card

    The operating system on the computer is Windows XP Professional.

    When I try to access the Flash Card, I get messages like "Please
    Insert a Disk into Drive F:",
    where the Card Reader has been plugged into the USB Port identified
    as "F:".

    I have heard the other people have encountered similar problems, and
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend or validate that the
    XtraDrive DOES work with Windows XP Professional, and if so with what
    make and memory size of SD Card.

    Also, I would be interested in knowing of alternative solutions for
    reading my SD Card via the USB port. My digital camera (Kodak Easyshare
    C530) came with a cable that accomplished this purpose, but this cable
    got stolen, and Kodak wan's $25 for a replacement cable!

    Thanks,

    Bill Angel
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Bill A, Dec 21, 2006

  2. Bill A

    thehick Guest

    Bill A wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I purchased an XtraDrive Portable Card Reader to read my SD Card via
    > the USB Port on a computer.
    >
    > The Card is a SanDisk 128 MB Card

    good luck. i had two different card readers in this form factor
    using plug-in SD cards. I thought they would be great since
    i could get cards of higher capacity if i wanted. big mistake.

    plenty of intermittent incompatibility.

    some files would copy, some wouldn't. some might later on.
    w2k, win xp...didn't matter. different computers too.

    got an exchange. same problem. threw them out. the issue
    may be tied to the actual chip in the card readers but i haven't
    investigated that far. i was just using them as usb memory.
    so i went and got a regular fixed memory usb stick.

    as for reading/writing sd cards...i'm still interested in gaining
    that ability but i'm a little loath to experiment with my money.
    ....thehick
    thehick, Dec 21, 2006

  3. Bill A

    W Paul Mills Guest

    W Paul Mills, Dec 22, 2006
  4. Bill A

    Bill A Guest

    I see I'm not the only person with this problem... <grin>

    It's possible the problem may be related to how the SD cards are
    formatted.
    My Koday Easyshare C530 may format the card slightly differently than
    another
    brand of camera. This problem normally would not be encountered by
    consumers, as they
    rely on the camera itself to read the SD Card, rather than an external
    card reader device that exhibits a subtle incompatibility problem when
    attempting to handle cards formatted
    by a variety of different camera makes/models.

    --- Bill Angel
    Baltimore, Maryland

    Bill A, Dec 22, 2006
  5. Bill A

    Bill A Guest

    The replacement cable you suggested is also a good idea, in principle.

    My only concern about utilizing one of these inexpensive cables is
    that Kodak designed its cable (the one that it recommends using with
    the camera) with a big hump in the middle

    See:

    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=6558

    So i"m not sure that a simple cable with a standard USB connector at
    one end, and a mini USB at the other end, would in actuality be
    sufficient to connect the digital camera to the PC

    Bill A, Dec 22, 2006
  6. Bill A

    Roy G Guest

    "Bill A" <> wrote in message

    > Hi:
    >
    > I purchased an XtraDrive Portable Card Reader to read my SD Card via
    > the USB Port on a computer.
    >
    > The Card is a SanDisk 128 MB Card
    >
    > The operating system on the computer is Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > When I try to access the Flash Card, I get messages like "Please
    > Insert a Disk into Drive F:",
    > where the Card Reader has been plugged into the USB Port identified
    > as "F:".
    >
    > I have heard the other people have encountered similar problems, and
    > I was wondering if anyone could recommend or validate that the
    > XtraDrive DOES work with Windows XP Professional, and if so with what
    > make and memory size of SD Card.
    >
    > Also, I would be interested in knowing of alternative solutions for
    > reading my SD Card via the USB port. My digital camera (Kodak Easyshare
    > C530) came with a cable that accomplished this purpose, but this cable
    > got stolen, and Kodak wan's $25 for a replacement cable!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill Angel
    > Baltimore, Maryland

    Hi.

    I don't know your specific make of card reader, but I do use a Sandisc 13 in
    1 Card Reader, and it can read SD, and other Cards, from several Cameras
    without any problem.

    The only problem which might arise, is that some Card Readers can not handle
    large capacity Cards, over 2 Gig.

    Most Card readers, including the multiple slot ones are small enough,
    (Cigarette Packet size), to be very portable. The supplied 1.5 metre Cable
    will take up more space, but it will probably also fit you Camera.

    Most Cameras use a standard USB to Mini USB Cable to connect to a Computer,
    ( if you must do it that way), and these should be available very cheaply
    from any Computer Store. Just take your Camera with you, when you go to
    purchase it, just to make sure that Kodak have not been bloody minded enough
    to design a special one.

    USB Slots on a Computer do NOT have drive letters allocated to them. The
    Card Reader, or whatever, will have the next available drive letter
    allocated while it is connected.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Dec 22, 2006
  7. Bill A

    Roy G Guest

    "Bill A" <> wrote in message
    > The replacement cable you suggested is also a good idea, in principle.
    >
    > My only concern about utilizing one of these inexpensive cables is
    > that Kodak designed its cable (the one that it recommends using with
    > the camera) with a big hump in the middle
    >
    > See:

    The big hump in the middle is just a Ferrite Damper, (a lump of iron).
    Even most of the cheap cables have these, they only cut down on
    interference.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Dec 22, 2006
  8. Bill A

    Bill A Guest

    Well, I was fortunate enough to find another solution.

    When I returned the XtraDrive to Office Depot this afternoon for a
    refund (they had sold it to me for $8.00), I discovered that they were
    selling the Ativa Universal 10 in 1 Memory Card Reader/Writer for
    $10.00. So for only $2.00 more I got the Ativa reader, and it works
    fine, reading my 128MB Secure Digital Card. The only drawback is that
    it is not as small and compact as the XtraDrive Reader. The Ativa Card
    reader is as large as my digital camera!
    But at least it works correctly.

    --- Bill Angel
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Bill A, Dec 22, 2006
  9. Bill A

    John Turco Guest

    Bill A wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I purchased an XtraDrive Portable Card Reader to read my SD Card via
    > the USB Port on a computer.
    >
    > The Card is a SanDisk 128 MB Card
    >
    > The operating system on the computer is Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > When I try to access the Flash Card, I get messages like "Please
    > Insert a Disk into Drive F:",
    > where the Card Reader has been plugged into the USB Port identified
    > as "F:".
    >
    > I have heard the other people have encountered similar problems, and
    > I was wondering if anyone could recommend or validate that the
    > XtraDrive DOES work with Windows XP Professional, and if so with what
    > make and memory size of SD Card.

    Hello, Bill:

    Don't waste any more time with this "XtraDrive" device, than you have
    to. Return it to the place of purchase and buy a brand name, external
    reader/writer, capable of using a variety of memory card formats; these
    are fairly common and rather affordable, these days.

    > Also, I would be interested in knowing of alternative solutions for
    > reading my SD Card via the USB port. My digital camera (Kodak Easyshare
    > C530) came with a cable that accomplished this purpose, but this cable
    > got stolen, and Kodak wan's $25 for a replacement cable!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill Angel
    > Baltimore, Maryland

    Digital camera manufacturers, in general (not just Kodak), enjoy
    sticking it to their customers, by asking absurd amounts for simple
    accessories. Don't give in to them -- search eBay <http://www.ebay.com>,
    and you should find a C530-compatible USB cable, much cheaper than it
    is, at Kodak's Web site.

    Good luck and happy hunting!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>