    Hi,

    I'm trying to set up printer sharing on a small network. Here's the
    layout:

    #1: 98SE with two shared printers attached, using an A/B switch (not my
    setup, plan to change it in the future).
    #2: XP Pro.
    #3: Win 2000
    #4: Laptop; dual boot WinME and Win 2000

    Not using DHCP..all static IP addresses.

    They all connect through a router with wireless cards.

    Here are my two problems:

    1) I can't connect to #1 (with the printers) from #3. When I set it up,
    it worked fine and printed to the 98 box, but now there's no connection
    at all. Pinging from #3 to #1 times out. I can successfully ping from
    this box to the router and to other boxes on the network. However, I
    can ping from #1 to #3.

    2) On #4 (the dual boot laptop), I have not been able to access the
    network at all from the ME side (can't ping anything except itself),
    but works perfectly from the 2000 side. This tells me the network card
    is OK. All the settings appear to be identical on the two OSs.

    Could someone advise me as to what else I can look for to fix this?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    , Mar 21, 2005

  2. carson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to set up printer sharing on a small network. Here's the
    > layout:
    >
    > #1: 98SE with two shared printers attached, using an A/B switch (not my
    > setup, plan to change it in the future).
    > #2: XP Pro.
    > #3: Win 2000
    > #4: Laptop; dual boot WinME and Win 2000
    >
    > Not using DHCP..all static IP addresses.
    >
    > They all connect through a router with wireless cards.
    >
    > Here are my two problems:
    >
    > 1) I can't connect to #1 (with the printers) from #3. When I set it up,
    > it worked fine and printed to the 98 box, but now there's no connection
    > at all. Pinging from #3 to #1 times out. I can successfully ping from
    > this box to the router and to other boxes on the network. However, I
    > can ping from #1 to #3.
    >
    > 2) On #4 (the dual boot laptop), I have not been able to access the
    > network at all from the ME side (can't ping anything except itself),
    > but works perfectly from the 2000 side. This tells me the network card
    > is OK. All the settings appear to be identical on the two OSs.
    >
    > Could someone advise me as to what else I can look for to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike

    turn all firewalls off
    set up your network connection (again) with win XP box
    make the floppy when it asks
    use the floppy to set up the rest of the computers
    you should be able to connect
    turn firewalls on one at a time checking to see what still connects

    carson, Mar 21, 2005

  3. > I'm trying to set up printer sharing on a small network. Here's the
    > layout:
    >
    > #1: 98SE with two shared printers attached, using an A/B switch (not my
    > setup, plan to change it in the future).
    > #2: XP Pro.
    > #3: Win 2000
    > #4: Laptop; dual boot WinME and Win 2000
    >
    > Not using DHCP..all static IP addresses.
    >
    > They all connect through a router with wireless cards.
    >
    > Here are my two problems:
    >
    > 1) I can't connect to #1 (with the printers) from #3. When I set it up,
    > it worked fine and printed to the 98 box, but now there's no connection
    > at all. Pinging from #3 to #1 times out. I can successfully ping from
    > this box to the router and to other boxes on the network. However, I
    > can ping from #1 to #3.
    >
    > 2) On #4 (the dual boot laptop), I have not been able to access the
    > network at all from the ME side (can't ping anything except itself),
    > but works perfectly from the 2000 side. This tells me the network card
    > is OK. All the settings appear to be identical on the two OSs.
    >
    > Could someone advise me as to what else I can look for to fix this?

    Check for Case Sensitive SSID or Workgroups, I've ran across this before and
    couldn't believe it.

    Check for Encryptions and SSID Broadcast.

    Known bug for WinXP printing to Win98, needing service patch.

    Ricky

    RDO Computer Services, Mar 22, 2005