problems pinging between FastEthernet and Ethernet interfaces

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by liz.idhaw@gmail.com, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I'm having some problems with a link between two Cisco routers. One
    router is a 7603 with a 48 port FastEthernet switching module and the
    second is a cisco 2620. The two routers are directly connected. The
    7603 is using a FastEthernet interface and the 2620 is using an
    Ethernet interface. Both interfaces are administratively up and link
    protocol up. However, the routers can not ping each other. I've tried
    changing the duplex but haven't had any success. I have noticed that
    the 2620 has a valid arp table entry for the 7603 but the 7603 has an
    incomplete arp table entry for the 2620.

    I have tested the ports and the cables and everything is working
    correctly when interfaced to other routers, or if the 7603 connects to
    the FastEthernet port on the 2620. Is there a setting I'm missing or
    is this a possible bug? The IOS versions are 12.2(7r) for the 2620 and
    12.1(13)E6 for the 7603.

    Thanks.
    , Nov 15, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    What routing protocol are you using? If you are using RIP, or IGRP,
    etc, and you do not have the correct "network" statements added, then
    you will not be able to ping.

    Thanks

    On Nov 15, 3:17 pm, wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm having some problems with a link between two Cisco routers. One
    > router is a 7603 with a 48 port FastEthernet switching module and the
    > second is a cisco 2620. The two routers are directly connected. The
    > 7603 is using a FastEthernet interface and the 2620 is using an
    > Ethernet interface. Both interfaces are administratively up and link
    > protocol up. However, the routers can not ping each other. I've tried
    > changing the duplex but haven't had any success. I have noticed that
    > the 2620 has a valid arp table entry for the 7603 but the 7603 has an
    > incomplete arp table entry for the 2620.
    >
    > I have tested the ports and the cables and everything is working
    > correctly when interfaced to other routers, or if the 7603 connects to
    > the FastEthernet port on the 2620. Is there a setting I'm missing or
    > is this a possible bug? The IOS versions are 12.2(7r) for the 2620 and
    > 12.1(13)E6 for the 7603.
    >
    > Thanks.
    , Nov 16, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    I'm running OSPF. Both routers are sitting on the same subnet and are
    directly connected so I don't think routing really comes into play.
    However, I will double check that the OSPF networks are configured
    correctly.


    wrote:
    > What routing protocol are you using? If you are using RIP, or IGRP,
    > etc, and you do not have the correct "network" statements added, then
    > you will not be able to ping.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > On Nov 15, 3:17 pm, wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'm having some problems with a link between two Cisco routers. One
    > > router is a 7603 with a 48 port FastEthernet switching module and the
    > > second is a cisco 2620. The two routers are directly connected. The
    > > 7603 is using a FastEthernet interface and the 2620 is using an
    > > Ethernet interface. Both interfaces are administratively up and link
    > > protocol up. However, the routers can not ping each other. I've tried
    > > changing the duplex but haven't had any success. I have noticed that
    > > the 2620 has a valid arp table entry for the 7603 but the 7603 has an
    > > incomplete arp table entry for the 2620.
    > >
    > > I have tested the ports and the cables and everything is working
    > > correctly when interfaced to other routers, or if the 7603 connects to
    > > the FastEthernet port on the 2620. Is there a setting I'm missing or
    > > is this a possible bug? The IOS versions are 12.2(7r) for the 2620 and
    > > 12.1(13)E6 for the 7603.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    , Nov 20, 2006
    #3
  4. Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm running OSPF. Both routers are sitting on the same subnet and are
    > directly connected so I don't think routing really comes into play.
    > However, I will double check that the OSPF networks are configured
    > correctly.
    >
    >
    > wrote:
    > > What routing protocol are you using? If you are using RIP, or IGRP,
    > > etc, and you do not have the correct "network" statements added, then
    > > you will not be able to ping.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > On Nov 15, 3:17 pm, wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I'm having some problems with a link between two Cisco routers. One
    > > > router is a 7603 with a 48 port FastEthernet switching module and the
    > > > second is a cisco 2620. The two routers are directly connected. The
    > > > 7603 is using a FastEthernet interface and the 2620 is using an
    > > > Ethernet interface. Both interfaces are administratively up and link
    > > > protocol up. However, the routers can not ping each other. I've tried
    > > > changing the duplex but haven't had any success. I have noticed that
    > > > the 2620 has a valid arp table entry for the 7603 but the 7603 has an
    > > > incomplete arp table entry for the 2620.
    > > >
    > > > I have tested the ports and the cables and everything is working
    > > > correctly when interfaced to other routers, or if the 7603 connects to
    > > > the FastEthernet port on the 2620. Is there a setting I'm missing or
    > > > is this a possible bug? The IOS versions are 12.2(7r) for the 2620 and
    > > > 12.1(13)E6 for the 7603.


    As you say, routing protocol will not matter.

    Hmmm! ARP not working?

    This could maybe happen if you have incorrect subnet
    masks configured. Maybe one is doing proxy arp and the other not.

    Maybe with incorrect masks the routing protocol might matter?

    The best thing is to post the config of the relevant interfaces.

    Physical and VLAN.

    sh run int gi 3/1
    sh run int vl 1 ! for example.

    People usually change real registered IP addresses
    In this case please do it carefully if you need to.
    Change only say the first octet or first and second.
    , Nov 20, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Anand Mohabir
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,081
    Johnny Routin
    Oct 22, 2004
  2. Jeff Patton
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    4,141
    Martin Gallagher
    Sep 19, 2006
  3. tomarseneault
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,673
  4. afrozalam

    ethernet and fastethernet

    afrozalam, Apr 19, 2007, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    413
    McDouglas
    Apr 26, 2007
  5. linguafr

    pinging ASA interfaces

    linguafr, Apr 21, 2007, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    7,262
    linguafr
    Apr 23, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page