Problems opening jpgs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MacTech, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. MacTech

    MacTech Guest

    OK here goes...

    I'm designing a book cover for my wife's 1st book and have created the
    covers in PS 7, on Windows XP and saved them as jpeg files.

    When the publisher tries to open the files, she get's the error
    message that the "jpg markers are incorrect". She's telling me that it
    appears the files are bitmap (.bmp) files saved with a .jpg extension.

    Could someone here take a look at the images (or try to open them up)?
    Or tell me how to save images in PS 7 as jpegs without any bitmap
    problems.

    The book covers need to be CMYK, at 300 dpi or higher.

    The images are at:
    http://ruralroute2.com/pictures/XmasInDairylandBackCoverV2.jpg
    and
    http://ruralroute2.com/pictures/XmasInDairylandFrontCoverV2.jpg

    They are fairly large - 912 k and 452k. But the images need to be 5.6
    inches by 8.6.

    Any advice, suggestions is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

    Randy S.

    MacTech, Jul 1, 2003

  2. MacTech

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... MacTech said:

    > OK here goes...
    >
    > I'm designing a book cover for my wife's 1st book and have created the
    > covers in PS 7, on Windows XP and saved them as jpeg files.
    >
    > When the publisher tries to open the files, she get's the error
    > message that the "jpg markers are incorrect". She's telling me that it
    > appears the files are bitmap (.bmp) files saved with a .jpg extension.
    >
    > Could someone here take a look at the images (or try to open them up)?
    > Or tell me how to save images in PS 7 as jpegs without any bitmap
    > problems.
    >
    > The book covers need to be CMYK, at 300 dpi or higher.
    >
    > The images are at:
    > http://ruralroute2.com/pictures/XmasInDairylandBackCoverV2.jpg
    > and
    > http://ruralroute2.com/pictures/XmasInDairylandFrontCoverV2.jpg
    >
    > They are fairly large - 912 k and 452k. But the images need to be 5.6
    > inches by 8.6.
    >
    > Any advice, suggestions is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Randy S.

    Flaming heck, they aren't "fairly large", they are bloody *enormous*
    They save/open as normal jpg's for me though.

    Brian H¹©, Jul 1, 2003

  3. MacTech

    Jimchip Guest

    On 30 Jun 2003 18:41:34 -0700, MacTech wrote:
    > OK here goes...
    >
    > I'm designing a book cover for my wife's 1st book and have created the
    > covers in PS 7, on Windows XP and saved them as jpeg files.
    >
    > When the publisher tries to open the files, she get's the error
    > message that the "jpg markers are incorrect". She's telling me that it
    > appears the files are bitmap (.bmp) files saved with a .jpg extension.
    >
    > Could someone here take a look at the images (or try to open them up)?
    > Or tell me how to save images in PS 7 as jpegs without any bitmap
    > problems.
    >
    > The book covers need to be CMYK, at 300 dpi or higher.
    >
    > The images are at:
    > http://ruralroute2.com/pictures/XmasInDairylandBackCoverV2.jpg
    > and
    > http://ruralroute2.com/pictures/XmasInDairylandFrontCoverV2.jpg
    >
    > They are fairly large - 912 k and 452k. But the images need to be 5.6
    > inches by 8.6.
    >
    > Any advice, suggestions is greatly appreciated.

    The "XmasInDairylandFrontCoverV2.jpg" is a jpeg image but it has the EXIF
    extensions. EXIF stores metadata as part of the file. There's nothing wrong
    with that, per se, except that I think the publisher isn't using a
    viewer/editor that is capable of handling EXIF.

    I don't know what your PS7 save options are but you might try another
    utility like Irfanview or some graphics converter in order to save them as
    'pure' .jpg without the EXIF headers.

    Here's one website that has some recommendations:
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Glossary/Camera_System/EXIF_01.htm
    "Most manufacturer supplied browser software supports EXIF information
    extraction, and there are several third party (inc. freeware / shareware)
    applications for reading / extracting this information from digital camera
    image files:

    * Picture Information Extractor (also includes file transfer & rename)
    * ACDSEE 3.1 (the best image browser - IMHO)
    * Thumber (the most comprehensive extraction of EXIF data)

    It's worth noting that Adobe Photoshop 6.0 attempts to maintain this JPEG
    "metadata", meaning if you open a digital camera image in Photoshop 6.0 and
    save it again certain metadata will be maintained."

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

    Jimchip, Jul 1, 2003
  4. MacTech

    JiLs Guest

    g'day mac. i thought printers/publishers preferred images in tiff format anyway, and
    you could save them that way in pshop. i think tiff will give you a much better
    quality when printed. admittedly the file size expands to over 50mb, but no problem
    on a cd or a zip disk.

    has your printer specifically asked for jpg images? i suggest you post your question
    in alt.graphic.photoshop for lots of expert replies.

    jils

    JiLs, Jul 1, 2003