    which one to use and have tried but to no avail.

    What is the best solution?

    TIA

    billydee, Mar 28, 2006

  2. billydee

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:dT%Vf.190880$B94.85049@pd7tw3no "billydee" <>
    wrote:

    > I use Outlook Express and one of my friends sends me e-mails and I am
    > unable to open the attachments. When I atempt to, I get a pop-up saying,
    > 'open with' and then an option to use various programs to open it. I
    > don't know which one to use and have tried but to no avail.
    >
    > What is the best solution?

    Ask your friend what the heck he's sending you, and where to get a viewer
    for whatever it is. If he can't get you one, tell him to stop doing that.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Mar 28, 2006

  3. billydee

    philo Guest

    "billydee" <> wrote in message
    >I use Outlook Express and one of my friends sends me e-mails and I am
    >unable to open the attachments. When I atempt to, I get a pop-up saying,
    >'open with' and then an option to use various programs to open it. I don't
    >know which one to use and have tried but to no avail.
    >
    > What is the best solution?
    >
    > TIA

    what is the extention of the file?

    you would probably be best off to ask your friend what it is that's being
    sent

    philo, Mar 28, 2006
  4. billydee wrote:

    > I use Outlook Express and one of my friends sends me e-mails and I am
    > unable to open the attachments. When I atempt to, I get a pop-up
    > saying, 'open with' and then an option to use various programs to
    > open it. I don't know which one to use and have tried but to no
    > avail.

    Please begin by describing the type of attachment. The complete file
    name itself may be a starting point.

    > What is the best solution?

    ...and then we may have one.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 28, 2006
  5. billydee

    Mike Easter Guest

    billydee wrote:
    > I use Outlook Express and one of my friends sends me e-mails and I am
    > unable to open the attachments. When I atempt to, I get a pop-up
    > saying, 'open with' and then an option to use various programs to
    > open it. I don't know which one to use and have tried but to no avail.
    >
    > What is the best solution?

    The best solution answer might have followed if you had done a good job
    of describing the exact attachment, which you didn't.

    Some people work within office environments which are accustomed to
    handling such things as PowerPoint presentations; and because of that,
    they think that everyone else works in the same kind of environment that
    they do. So, they pass things around which are in a proprietary format,
    and think that everyone else should be able to see them the same way
    that those of their friends who interact in that environment do.

    Maybe your friends live in a little Microsoft world bubble. It is very
    common.

    MS, in its *infinite* wisdom, makes available free readers for such as
    ...pps files and such for its expensive Office suite, just like Adobe
    makes available free readers for its expensive Acrobat family.

    So, if the attachment were a .ppt or a .pps or a .pot file, there would
    be an answer -- but since you didn't say the attachment's name, there
    isn't yet an answer.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 28, 2006
  6. billydee

    billydee Guest

    Sorry for not making my post more clear but I don't know what the extension
    is. I checked in properties and couldn't find any pertinent info. Where do I
    find that info?

    As for my friend...he sends a lot of jokes to a bunch of us and there is one
    other guy who can't open them either. The rest can, though.

    TIA

    billydee, Mar 28, 2006
  7. billydee wrote:

    > Sorry for not making my post more clear but I don't know what the
    > extension is. I checked in properties and couldn't find any pertinent
    > info. Where do I find that info?
    >
    > As for my friend...he sends a lot of jokes to a bunch of us and there
    > is one other guy who can't open them either. The rest can, though.

    Right-click on the paperclip icon, and choose Save ...
    The file name should appear. Save it to some specific place on your
    hard drive .. a temp directory ..

    Report back with the complete file name.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 28, 2006
  8. billydee

    Mike Easter Guest

    billydee wrote:
    > Sorry for not making my post more clear but I don't know what the
    > extension is. I checked in properties and couldn't find any pertinent
    > info. Where do I find that info?

    Your newsreader is OE6, so I'll assume that your mailreader.

    If someone sends you an email, selecting that email and using File/
    Properties and then Detail and then Message source, you can see the
    entire structure of the mail. An example of structure is that first
    comes the email headers, then comes the various boundary delimitors,
    then somewhere along the way comes the attachment, which might look like
    this:

    NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_2341_1143011471_0

    In that example, the attachment was encoded in b64, and the attachment
    was a Windows Media .wmv file.

    Here's another example, the attachment is a b64 powerpoint presentation:

    To read the .pps file, you have to have MS Office, or the powerpoint
    reader.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 28, 2006
  9. billydee

    Mike Easter Guest

    billydee wrote:
    > Sorry

    The other problem which is going on here is that you are top posting.

    What is supposed to happen is that when you are going to reply, that
    when you hit the Reply button, that you don't begin to type.

    What you are supposed to do is begin to trim to prepare to contextualize
    so that you can make it clear just exactly which words you are replying
    to.

    You are only supposed to leave a few words of some post that you are
    replying to, and then your typing words are supposed to be placed under
    the specific words you are replying to, after an empty line.

    I chose the word 'Sorry' to reply to in my post, which eliminated
    everything else in the message.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 28, 2006