    did i overlook something, or just lack of networking skills... (i read in a
    previous discussion on the nvidia firewall, if that were my problem, i
    wouldn't be able to see anything on the network right?)
    =?Utf-8?B?SXNhdXJvY2Jy?=, Dec 25, 2006

  2. If your chipset is an Nvidia based chipset, please install the NVidia
    firewall software, and then UN-install it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 26, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SXNhdXJvY2Jy?=

    chinga69 Guest

    chinga69, Dec 26, 2006
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 26, 2006
  5. I have reinstalled the nvidia firewall, and took it uninstalled it about 4
    times, the fifth time it let me get into the network. What i don't understand
    is that if the firewall wall is installed in my computer, why didn't it allow
    me to see other computers, as opposed to not allowing other computers to see
    me? By default i would assume that a firewall is to block all incoming
    traffic and to allow some outgoing traffic. Well, anyway, i got it working
    now, (sigh of relief) thanks.
    =?Utf-8?B?SXNhdXJvY2Jy?=, Dec 26, 2006
  6. Why do you think none of us use it? Buggy, perhaps? :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 26, 2006
  7. This thing is a POC and has caused no end of problems for our users here.
    There's a reason we all pointed to the same thing. And why none of us use
    it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 27, 2006
  8. I will Nth the comments on nVidia firewall. Garbage. See my post
    regarding network performance problems, finally attributed to it, in
    one direction only :-(

    Try Ghostwall (http://www.ghostsecurity.com/ghostwall/) for an
    alternative free firewall. It can be a pain setting up rules, but it
    appears to be an honest lightweight firewall. No applications
    recognition, just port blocking in and out.

    Computerflyer, Dec 28, 2006
  10. Why bother - the one built in to XP x64 is quite good, and the Vista x64
    version is even better.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 28, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?SXNhdXJvY2Jy?=

    Theo Guest

    What's the matter? Did you get up on the wrong side of the
    bed today? Didn't you mommy kiss you goodnight last night?

    If you don't like some of the answers, then to bad. I don't
    see anything wrong with a little humorous sarcasm. I don't
    see a complaint from the OP about the responses.

    Theo, Jan 8, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?SXNhdXJvY2Jy?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    C:
    I'm not a MVP or an elitist. The fact is that there have been many
    networking and other issues caused by the Nvidia firewall. I remember seeing
    multiple posting daily about this issue when the NF4 chipset was released.
    In this case the NF4 firewall was the cause and in-installing it cured the
    problem. The people in this group do their best to resolve problems. Some
    use humor or sarcasm but the end result is that the problem is fixed if
    possible. If our manner isn't up to your standards go elsewhere. Have a
    great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Vista x64 Enterprise

    Dennis Pack, Jan 8, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?SXNhdXJvY2Jy?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    C:
    I can't agree more with "I still maintain that if you can't give a civil
    and helpful answer to an innocent question then you shouldn't give any
    answer." but there are some that don't believe in this etiquette. I run XP
    x64 and Vista x64 as do many of us in this group. You will see posts that
    are referred to a different group because it's in an area that we don't deal
    with regularly and may not have a proper answer. The one thing that is
    lacking in most newsgroups is a reply by the person with the question or
    problem whether the recommendation worked or not. After a resolution is
    reached it can be a time for humor or sarcasm just as a relief then on to
    the next. We're not perfect, but we try to have fun also.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Vista x64 Enterprise

    Dennis Pack, Jan 9, 2007