Problems minimising game.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Mar 4, 2006.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hey kids,

    Windows XP, SP2. My monitor was getting dimmer and dimmer so I figured it
    was time to get into debt and get a replacement.

    I opted for a DSE 19" multimedia LCD (XC5593) as I can pay it off. Therefore
    I don't want to hear about better choices / deals thanks. :) Also,
    in-store, it looked pretty much as good as the Philips, Samsung, etc.
    monitors that were $150 dearer for 19".

    The problem: I play Diablo 2 which only runs at a max resolution of 800 x
    600. The monitor runs at 1280 x 1024 natively. Aside from the game looking
    like crap (but I can live with it) I have a problem. When I was using a CRT
    and I needed to check email or somesuch I'd just hit the Windows key, do
    whatever, then click the "Diablo 2" tab on the.... Toolbar? It would
    maximise and I was away again.

    With this monitor I can't do that. I click it, the screen goes black for a
    second, then back to my desktop. If I right-click it and click 'Restore' the
    same thing happens. My only option is to end process. That's no good, in the
    game there are "Way Points" that you need to progress to so that you can
    then start from there next time you open a game. However, I'd like to keep
    the option of minimising the game when I need to and not be tied into
    playing it through to the next Way Point each time. I just wondered, is this
    just this monitor or does it happen with all LCD screens?

    I can play the game windowed (by starting it with the /w switch) but an 800
    x 600 window on this monitor is worse than playing the game on a 14" CRT.

    I'd appreciate input. I can take it back to DSE if it's just a problem with
    this monitor but I need to know soon. I don't want to take it back and get a
    different brand ( a 17" as I can't afford bigger 'name' brands) and have the
    same problem. Also, the 17" monitors I looked at all have the same
    resolution as this one, meaning that the writing etc. on the screen would be
    smaller. I take a medication (Quinine Sulphate) which causes, as a
    side-effect, intermittant blurriness of vision. I wouldn't want the writing
    onthe screen to be smaller (and don't want to go to big fonts etc.).

    So what's the story guys? Specific to this monitor or a function of all
    LCDs?

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 4, 2006

  2. ~misfit~

    David Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Hey kids,
    >
    > Windows XP, SP2. My monitor was getting dimmer and dimmer so I figured it
    > was time to get into debt and get a replacement.
    >
    > I opted for a DSE 19" multimedia LCD (XC5593) as I can pay it off. Therefore
    > I don't want to hear about better choices / deals thanks. :) Also,
    > in-store, it looked pretty much as good as the Philips, Samsung, etc.
    > monitors that were $150 dearer for 19".
    >
    > The problem: I play Diablo 2 which only runs at a max resolution of 800 x
    > 600. The monitor runs at 1280 x 1024 natively. Aside from the game looking
    > like crap (but I can live with it) I have a problem. When I was using a CRT
    > and I needed to check email or somesuch I'd just hit the Windows key, do
    > whatever, then click the "Diablo 2" tab on the.... Toolbar? It would
    > maximise and I was away again.
    >
    > With this monitor I can't do that. I click it, the screen goes black for a
    > second, then back to my desktop. If I right-click it and click 'Restore' the
    > same thing happens. My only option is to end process. That's no good, in the
    > game there are "Way Points" that you need to progress to so that you can
    > then start from there next time you open a game. However, I'd like to keep
    > the option of minimising the game when I need to and not be tied into
    > playing it through to the next Way Point each time. I just wondered, is this
    > just this monitor or does it happen with all LCD screens?
    >
    > I can play the game windowed (by starting it with the /w switch) but an 800
    > x 600 window on this monitor is worse than playing the game on a 14" CRT.
    >
    > I'd appreciate input. I can take it back to DSE if it's just a problem with
    > this monitor but I need to know soon. I don't want to take it back and get a
    > different brand ( a 17" as I can't afford bigger 'name' brands) and have the
    > same problem. Also, the 17" monitors I looked at all have the same
    > resolution as this one, meaning that the writing etc. on the screen would be
    > smaller. I take a medication (Quinine Sulphate) which causes, as a
    > side-effect, intermittant blurriness of vision. I wouldn't want the writing
    > onthe screen to be smaller (and don't want to go to big fonts etc.).
    >
    > So what's the story guys? Specific to this monitor or a function of all
    > LCDs?
    >
    > Cheers,

    I don't see how the monitor can affect this. It may be something to do
    with the drivers. If the LCD came with a driver CD, you could try
    installing this.
    I wrote a little utility that helps with minimising & restoring
    uncooperative games, which might possibly help.
    http://daviddl.orcon.net.nz/GameTamer.zip . You may want to set the
    "Poll every x ms" setting to something a lot lower, maybe 10ms. I wrote
    it a long time ago, its been sitting on my hard drive ever since and I
    no longer have/can find the source code. the default is a little
    conservative :D

    David, Mar 4, 2006

  3. ~misfit~

    RJ Guest

    In article <nbdOf.1069$>, says...
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Hey kids,
    > >
    > > Windows XP, SP2. My monitor was getting dimmer and dimmer so I figured it
    > > was time to get into debt and get a replacement.
    > >
    > > I opted for a DSE 19" multimedia LCD (XC5593) as I can pay it off. Therefore
    > > I don't want to hear about better choices / deals thanks. :) Also,
    > > in-store, it looked pretty much as good as the Philips, Samsung, etc.
    > > monitors that were $150 dearer for 19".
    > >
    > > The problem: I play Diablo 2 which only runs at a max resolution of 800 x
    > > 600. The monitor runs at 1280 x 1024 natively.

    1280x1024 is low for 19" LCD. We have that resolution on the 17"
    Viewsonics we bought.

    But I would buy a CRT screen for 1/3 the price.

    RJ, Mar 4, 2006
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Hey kids,
    >>
    >> Windows XP, SP2. My monitor was getting dimmer and dimmer so I
    >> figured it was time to get into debt and get a replacement.
    >>
    >> I opted for a DSE 19" multimedia LCD (XC5593) as I can pay it off.
    >> Therefore I don't want to hear about better choices / deals thanks.
    >> :) Also, in-store, it looked pretty much as good as the Philips,
    >> Samsung, etc. monitors that were $150 dearer for 19".
    >>
    >> The problem: I play Diablo 2 which only runs at a max resolution of
    >> 800 x 600. The monitor runs at 1280 x 1024 natively. Aside from the
    >> game looking like crap (but I can live with it) I have a problem.
    >> When I was using a CRT and I needed to check email or somesuch I'd
    >> just hit the Windows key, do whatever, then click the "Diablo 2" tab
    >> on the.... Toolbar? It would maximise and I was away again.
    >>
    >> With this monitor I can't do that. I click it, the screen goes black
    >> for a second, then back to my desktop. If I right-click it and click
    >> 'Restore' the same thing happens. My only option is to end process.
    >> That's no good, in the game there are "Way Points" that you need to
    >> progress to so that you can then start from there next time you open
    >> a game. However, I'd like to keep the option of minimising the game
    >> when I need to and not be tied into playing it through to the next
    >> Way Point each time. I just wondered, is this just this monitor or
    >> does it happen with all LCD screens? I can play the game windowed (by
    >> starting it with the /w switch) but
    >> an 800 x 600 window on this monitor is worse than playing the game
    >> on a 14" CRT. I'd appreciate input. I can take it back to DSE if it's
    >> just a
    >> problem with this monitor but I need to know soon. I don't want to
    >> take it back and get a different brand ( a 17" as I can't afford
    >> bigger 'name' brands) and have the same problem. Also, the 17"
    >> monitors I looked at all have the same resolution as this one,
    >> meaning that the writing etc. on the screen would be smaller. I take
    >> a medication (Quinine Sulphate) which causes, as a side-effect,
    >> intermittant blurriness of vision. I wouldn't want the writing onthe
    >> screen to be smaller (and don't want to go to big fonts etc.). So what's
    >> the story guys? Specific to this monitor or a function of
    >> all LCDs?
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > I don't see how the monitor can affect this.

    The game worked fine this morning with the CRT.

    > It may be something to do
    > with the drivers. If the LCD came with a driver CD, you could try
    > installing this.

    And there's the problem. No driver with the LCD, no downlaod available from
    DSE's website (Just manual and "pixel policy").

    > I wrote a little utility that helps with minimising & restoring
    > uncooperative games, which might possibly help.
    > http://daviddl.orcon.net.nz/GameTamer.zip . You may want to set the
    > "Poll every x ms" setting to something a lot lower, maybe 10ms. I
    > wrote it a long time ago, its been sitting on my hard drive ever
    > since and I no longer have/can find the source code. the default is a
    > little conservative :D

    Thanks David, I'll download it and give it a try. The game runs great in an
    800 x 600 window but it's too easy to click outside the window and then it
    minimises. Not good when you're in battle. :-( Also, the desktop background
    is distracting.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 4, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <nbdOf.1069$>,
    > says...
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Hey kids,
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP, SP2. My monitor was getting dimmer and dimmer so I
    >>> figured it was time to get into debt and get a replacement.
    >>>
    >>> I opted for a DSE 19" multimedia LCD (XC5593) as I can pay it off.
    >>> Therefore I don't want to hear about better choices / deals thanks.
    >>> :) Also, in-store, it looked pretty much as good as the Philips,
    >>> Samsung, etc. monitors that were $150 dearer for 19".
    >>>
    >>> The problem: I play Diablo 2 which only runs at a max resolution of
    >>> 800 x 600. The monitor runs at 1280 x 1024 natively.

    > 1280x1024 is low for 19" LCD. We have that resolution on the 17"
    > Viewsonics we bought.

    I know that it has the same resolution as most of the 17" monitors I looked
    at. However, for my 44 year-old eyes it's just fine thanks. I ran my old 17"
    CRT at 1024 x 768. This monitor has vastly more real-estate.

    > But I would buy a CRT screen for 1/3 the price.

    Isn't it great that we live in a world where we can buy what we want?
    Although, frankly, I don't see the relevance of this last bit.

    Thanks for your input into my problem RJ, as helpful as usual.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 4, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    RJ wrote:

    >>>The problem: I play Diablo 2 which only runs at a max resolution of 800 x
    >>>600. The monitor runs at 1280 x 1024 natively.

    > 1280x1024 is low for 19" LCD. We have that resolution on the 17"
    > Viewsonics we bought.

    All LCDs have a low resolution for the panel size, look at what is possible on a
    15" laptop, but you never see that on a desktop monitor.

    17" I would want at least 1600x1200, 19 I would want 1800 by 1440.

    And whats with the stupid 1280x1024 res, it should be 1280x960 as its a 4:3 display?

    > But I would buy a CRT screen for 1/3 the price.

    I would buy one for less then that used and get a 21" trinitron but thats my
    personal choice.

    Richard, Mar 4, 2006
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> I don't see how the monitor can affect this.

    > The game worked fine this morning with the CRT.
    >
    >> It may be something to do
    >> with the drivers. If the LCD came with a driver CD, you could try
    >> installing this.

    > And there's the problem. No driver with the LCD, no downlaod
    > available from DSE's website (Just manual and "pixel policy").
    >
    >> I wrote a little utility that helps with minimising & restoring
    >> uncooperative games, which might possibly help.
    >> http://daviddl.orcon.net.nz/GameTamer.zip . You may want to set the
    >> "Poll every x ms" setting to something a lot lower, maybe 10ms. I
    >> wrote it a long time ago, its been sitting on my hard drive ever
    >> since and I no longer have/can find the source code. the default is a
    >> little conservative :D

    > Thanks David, I'll download it and give it a try. The game runs great
    > in an 800 x 600 window but it's too easy to click outside the window
    > and then it minimises. Not good when you're in battle. :-( Also, the
    > desktop background is distracting.

    I downloaded your utility but, as it turns out, I didn't need it. I happened
    to notice that, in the specs sheet inserted into the back of the manual (DSE
    do it this way as they source different panels at different times from
    different suppliers) the maximum refresh rate at 800 x 600 is 60Hz. (And
    yet, at the native resolution, it'll handle way higer refresh rates) Mine
    was still set to 75 from when I was using the CRT. Somehow it would start
    the game at 800 x 600 but then, once minimised, wouldn't bring it back up. I
    just set refresh rate to 60 and it works as expected. Actually the screen
    looks better at this refresh rate too.

    It's so good having all this extra space on my desk. I always said I'd stick
    with CRTs for a while yet but just got sick of the damn monitor taking up
    half the desk. Add the MFC and a big-ass Thermaltake case and I didn't have
    room to put a plate with my lunch on it in front of the computer. I don't
    play FPS games and this has a 16ms response which seems adequate for
    watching videos so I'm happy. Just gotta eat dirt for a few months until
    it's paid off. ;-)

    Thanks for the constructive input though David, I appreciate it.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 4, 2006
  8. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > I would buy one for less then that used and get a 21" trinitron but
    > thats my personal choice.

    So long as you have the desk space.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 4, 2006
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> I would buy one for less then that used and get a 21" trinitron but
    >> thats my personal choice.

    > So long as you have the desk space.

    Yup. The *only reason I went LCD. I got sick of having this monolithic great
    monitor on my desk and no room for pizza and coffee. <g> Although, must
    admit, as I get used to it I'm starting to like it.

    An annoying "feature" of this monitor that isn't mentioned anywhere in the
    docs that I can find is the integrated speakers shut off when the monitor
    turns off. I have it set to blank screen at 9 minutes and off at 10. However
    I often have background music playing. (Very 'background' as, sadly, the
    speaker quality is only a small step above laptop quality. Integrated
    speakers was another reason I opted for this model, to free up more desk
    space and reduce clutter. Might have to re-think that one.).
    --
    ~misfit~

    *Electricity consumption was another, albeit less compelling factor. Let's
    face it, in today's world of global warming and, now, obvious climatic
    changes and impending extinctions because of it, it's irresponsible to use
    more electricity that necessary, at least until all electricity is coming
    from renewable, non-fossil-fuel sources. Then there's the power bill.

    ~misfit~, Mar 4, 2006
  10. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 08:50:47 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >An annoying "feature" of this monitor that isn't mentioned anywhere in the
    >docs that I can find is the integrated speakers shut off when the monitor
    >turns off. I have it set to blank screen at 9 minutes and off at 10. However
    >I often have background music playing. (Very 'background' as, sadly, the
    >speaker quality is only a small step above laptop quality. Integrated
    >speakers was another reason I opted for this model, to free up more desk
    >space and reduce clutter. Might have to re-think that one.).

    If you've got a stereo system in the same room with aux RCA inputs you could run
    a long lead from your soundcard to that. That would give good quality sound and
    no extra desk space used.

    Craig Shore, Mar 4, 2006
  11. ~misfit~

    Warwick Guest

    On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 17:25:34 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Hey kids,
    >
    > Windows XP, SP2. My monitor was getting dimmer and dimmer so I figured it
    > was time to get into debt and get a replacement.
    >
    > I opted for a DSE 19" multimedia LCD (XC5593) as I can pay it off. Therefore
    > I don't want to hear about better choices / deals thanks. :) Also,
    > in-store, it looked pretty much as good as the Philips, Samsung, etc.
    > monitors that were $150 dearer for 19".
    >
    > The problem: I play Diablo 2 which only runs at a max resolution of 800 x
    > 600. The monitor runs at 1280 x 1024 natively. Aside from the game looking
    > like crap (but I can live with it) I have a problem. When I was using a CRT
    > and I needed to check email or somesuch I'd just hit the Windows key, do
    > whatever, then click the "Diablo 2" tab on the.... Toolbar? It would
    > maximise and I was away again.
    >
    > With this monitor I can't do that. I click it, the screen goes black for a
    > second, then back to my desktop. If I right-click it and click 'Restore' the
    > same thing happens. My only option is to end process. That's no good, in the
    > game there are "Way Points" that you need to progress to so that you can
    > then start from there next time you open a game. However, I'd like to keep
    > the option of minimising the game when I need to and not be tied into
    > playing it through to the next Way Point each time. I just wondered, is this
    > just this monitor or does it happen with all LCD screens?
    >
    > I can play the game windowed (by starting it with the /w switch) but an 800
    > x 600 window on this monitor is worse than playing the game on a 14" CRT.
    >
    > I'd appreciate input. I can take it back to DSE if it's just a problem with
    > this monitor but I need to know soon. I don't want to take it back and get a
    > different brand ( a 17" as I can't afford bigger 'name' brands) and have the
    > same problem. Also, the 17" monitors I looked at all have the same
    > resolution as this one, meaning that the writing etc. on the screen would be
    > smaller. I take a medication (Quinine Sulphate) which causes, as a
    > side-effect, intermittant blurriness of vision. I wouldn't want the writing
    > onthe screen to be smaller (and don't want to go to big fonts etc.).
    >
    > So what's the story guys? Specific to this monitor or a function of all
    > LCDs?
    >
    > Cheers,

    I get a similair issue with need for speed underground. alt tab to cycle
    around the open windows does the trick for me.

    Warwick, Mar 5, 2006
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 08:50:47 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> An annoying "feature" of this monitor that isn't mentioned anywhere
    >> in the docs that I can find is the integrated speakers shut off when
    >> the monitor turns off. I have it set to blank screen at 9 minutes
    >> and off at 10. However I often have background music playing. (Very
    >> 'background' as, sadly, the speaker quality is only a small step
    >> above laptop quality. Integrated speakers was another reason I opted
    >> for this model, to free up more desk space and reduce clutter. Might
    >> have to re-think that one.).

    > If you've got a stereo system in the same room with aux RCA inputs
    > you could run a long lead from your soundcard to that. That would
    > give good quality sound and no extra desk space used.

    Yeah, problem is the ex took the stereo when we split up.........
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 5, 2006
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 17:25:34 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Hey kids,
    >>
    >> Windows XP, SP2. My monitor was getting dimmer and dimmer so I
    >> figured it was time to get into debt and get a replacement.
    >>
    >> I opted for a DSE 19" multimedia LCD (XC5593) as I can pay it off.
    >> Therefore I don't want to hear about better choices / deals thanks.
    >> :) Also, in-store, it looked pretty much as good as the Philips,
    >> Samsung, etc. monitors that were $150 dearer for 19".
    >>
    >> The problem: I play Diablo 2 which only runs at a max resolution of
    >> 800 x 600. The monitor runs at 1280 x 1024 natively. Aside from the
    >> game looking like crap (but I can live with it) I have a problem.
    >> When I was using a CRT and I needed to check email or somesuch I'd
    >> just hit the Windows key, do whatever, then click the "Diablo 2" tab
    >> on the.... Toolbar? It would maximise and I was away again.
    >>
    >> With this monitor I can't do that. I click it, the screen goes black
    >> for a second, then back to my desktop. If I right-click it and click
    >> 'Restore' the same thing happens. My only option is to end process.
    >> That's no good, in the game there are "Way Points" that you need to
    >> progress to so that you can then start from there next time you open
    >> a game. However, I'd like to keep the option of minimising the game
    >> when I need to and not be tied into playing it through to the next
    >> Way Point each time. I just wondered, is this just this monitor or
    >> does it happen with all LCD screens?
    >>
    >> I can play the game windowed (by starting it with the /w switch) but
    >> an 800 x 600 window on this monitor is worse than playing the game
    >> on a 14" CRT.
    >>
    >> I'd appreciate input. I can take it back to DSE if it's just a
    >> problem with this monitor but I need to know soon. I don't want to
    >> take it back and get a different brand ( a 17" as I can't afford
    >> bigger 'name' brands) and have the same problem. Also, the 17"
    >> monitors I looked at all have the same resolution as this one,
    >> meaning that the writing etc. on the screen would be smaller. I take
    >> a medication (Quinine Sulphate) which causes, as a side-effect,
    >> intermittant blurriness of vision. I wouldn't want the writing onthe
    >> screen to be smaller (and don't want to go to big fonts etc.).
    >>
    >> So what's the story guys? Specific to this monitor or a function of
    >> all LCDs?
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > I get a similair issue with need for speed underground. alt tab to
    > cycle around the open windows does the trick for me.

    Hey Warwick,

    Thanks for that, as you can see further down the thread, I fixed it. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Mar 5, 2006
  14. ~misfit~

    Phstpok Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 08:50:47 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>An annoying "feature" of this monitor that isn't mentioned anywhere
    >>>in the docs that I can find is the integrated speakers shut off when
    >>>the monitor turns off. I have it set to blank screen at 9 minutes
    >>>and off at 10. However I often have background music playing. (Very
    >>>'background' as, sadly, the speaker quality is only a small step
    >>>above laptop quality. Integrated speakers was another reason I opted
    >>>for this model, to free up more desk space and reduce clutter. Might
    >>>have to re-think that one.).

    >>If you've got a stereo system in the same room with aux RCA inputs
    >>you could run a long lead from your soundcard to that. That would
    >>give good quality sound and no extra desk space used.

    > Yeah, problem is the ex took the stereo when we split up.........

    Ouch.

    Lost heaps of music when a drive blew (between proper backups)

    Teach me right

    Rob

    Phstpok, Mar 5, 2006
  15. ~misfit~

    RJ Guest

    In article <440970bd$>, says...

    > > 1280x1024 is low for 19" LCD. We have that resolution on the 17"
    > > Viewsonics we bought.

    > All LCDs have a low resolution for the panel size, look at what is possible on a
    > 15" laptop, but you never see that on a desktop monitor.
    >
    > 17" I would want at least 1600x1200, 19 I would want 1800 by 1440.

    You might, but most users wouldn't... they want to be able to recognise
    what the icons are on the screen.

    Running a 17" at 1600x1200 makes as much sense as running a 15" CRT at
    1024x768 - frankly ludicrous.

    RJ, Mar 5, 2006
  16. ~misfit~

    RJ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 08:50:47 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > >An annoying "feature" of this monitor that isn't mentioned anywhere in the
    > >docs that I can find is the integrated speakers shut off when the monitor
    > >turns off. I have it set to blank screen at 9 minutes and off at 10. However
    > >I often have background music playing. (Very 'background' as, sadly, the
    > >speaker quality is only a small step above laptop quality. Integrated
    > >speakers was another reason I opted for this model, to free up more desk
    > >space and reduce clutter. Might have to re-think that one.).

    > If you've got a stereo system in the same room with aux RCA inputs you could run
    > a long lead from your soundcard to that. That would give good quality sound and
    > no extra desk space used.

    All the LCDs I have seen have tiny speakers. Really only suitable for
    Windows sounds, not music.

    RJ, Mar 5, 2006
  17. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    RJ wrote:

    >>>1280x1024 is low for 19" LCD. We have that resolution on the 17"
    >>>Viewsonics we bought.

    >>All LCDs have a low resolution for the panel size, look at what is possible on a
    >>15" laptop, but you never see that on a desktop monitor.
    >>
    >>17" I would want at least 1600x1200, 19 I would want 1800 by 1440.

    > You might, but most users wouldn't... they want to be able to recognise
    > what the icons are on the screen.
    >
    > Running a 17" at 1600x1200 makes as much sense as running a 15" CRT at
    > 1024x768 - frankly ludicrous.

    I'll agree that 1600x1200 on a 17" is ridiculous, but 1024x768 on a 15"
    is ok. I'm currently running 1600x1200 on a pair of 21" CRTs at 100Hz
    refresh rate, and they are well superior to any LCD.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 5, 2006
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Yeah, problem is the ex took the stereo when we split up.........

    > Ouch.

    What really pissed me off is that she left the front screens off the (older,
    before they turned to shit) JBL speakers and the surrounds of the woofers
    got munted during the move. Now they're of no use to anyone.

    > Lost heaps of music when a drive blew (between proper backups)
    >
    > Teach me right

    Yeah, bummer. I have my mp3s on three different drives and mirror them now
    and then to copy changes.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~