    out I would greatly appreciate it !!!!!!
    --
    Thank You and have a nice day!
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaHVhIEQu?=, Oct 24, 2005

  2. I would connect the external drive. Otherwise you might try disabeling the
    a: drive in the BIOS.

    =?Utf-8?B?d21fc29yZw==?=, Oct 24, 2005

  3. That's exactly what I thought when it happened so I went into bios and
    disabled it still did the same thing, which I really don't understand because
    it should just go to a installation screen like when installing xp pro... I
    would think, but a normal microsoft installation sceen doesn't come up. It
    doesn't even get out of the dos screen. Thank you for that though...
    shouldn't it go to some type of installion screen or is it normal for it just
    to go through in the dos screen.
    --
    Thank You and have a nice day!

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaHVhIEQu?=, Oct 24, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaHVhIEQu?=

    Rick Guest

    You did not "Burn Image to Disc" as you should. The .ISO is a mirror
    image of the bootable CD, but you tried to make a bootable CD of the
    image and that is where you are getting the "A:\" prompt form.

    There are instructions all over the place on how to burn an .iso image
    to disc and you apparently never read any of them.

    In Nero the selection is "Burn Image to Disc" I'm not sure about other
    programs, but the idea is the same. You just basically copy the image
    you downloaded to a disc - nothing else!

    Rick, Oct 25, 2005
  5. You maybe should not use the word 'copy' here, because that is probably what
    he did. 'Burn' is the operative word - the data in the *.ISO is burnt to the
    CD! Also, 'image' is not in itself, a good description, the thing to make
    clear is that if you copy three files to a disk and then delete the middle
    one, and then decide you want another copy of that disk, the new copy will
    have only the two files on it - if you record an *.ISO and burn it
    correctly, the new disk will also include the empty space of the file that
    was deleted.

    There you go!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 25, 2005
  6. Thank You Tony and Rick. I probably didn't word everything exactly right you
    are correct about that. I have read about .iso's. I've followed detailed
    diagrams. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am burning it right and
    yes I did try to make a bootable disc. after trying every kind of burn I
    could do with Nero that would make any since. then I tried 2 other burning
    programs besides Nero. I also tried different type and brands of media. I
    could see why you would think I wasn't doing it right though I would probably
    think the same thing if I didn't know better. Well I have just finished
    downloading a new copy that I will try to burn to disc, maybe my first copy
    was a flawed download. If that doesn't work I will order a copy to be sent
    to me. I actually think it is a problem of incompatability with my computer
    hardware or maybe software. I will soon find out and report back but again I
    do apreciate your help.
    --
    Thank You and have a nice day!

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaHVhIEQu?=, Oct 25, 2005
  7. Reading the various documentation, you could easily come to believe that you
    should treat the *.ISO/CD in some special way to make it 'bootable', and
    there is nothing inherently 'bootable' in the *.ISO format, the files we are
    discussing - containing OS matterial - is already bootable. The way *.ISO's
    are made is by installing an OS to HD. That is a bootable installation. You
    then record an image of that installation and ship it as a 'download', which
    is the equivalent of sending the physical disc over the phone. You simply
    burn the *.ISO and label it to your satisfaction and re-boot with the disk
    inside a bootable drive. It is probably a lot more simple than you imagine,
    Burner drives and software - at least Nero, handle this with excellence, it
    just works every time. (if nothing else went wrong!)

    If you are working on a multi-media presentation, just to name an example,
    and you would like to distribute that on a CD that is bootable, then you
    would record the directory/folder the presentation sits in as an image.
    Note, this is an image of that folder - not the HD, and it will not be
    bootable without special treatment that you will probably never have to use
    anyway. You would not want to distribute the presentation as an image of
    YOUR bootable HD with everything on it.

    But you are right, downloads do sometimes produce bad *.ISO's. You are not
    alone in this, however. All of us must have produced a few coasters along
    the way.

    Greetings, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 25, 2005
  8. Good call Tony you hit the nail on the head! I downloaded another copy,
    burned an iso disc, and restarted my computer and it worked perfect. I
    really do appreciate all your good advice.
    --
    Thank You and have a nice day!

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaHVhIEQu?=, Oct 25, 2005
  9. You're most welcome!