    a work around?

    Thanks As always, Karen

    ....always learning

    Iplant, Jan 31, 2008

  2. Iplant

    Theo Guest

    Perhaps you could clarify a few things.

    Are you trying to install a x64 Retail version or an OEM
    version?

    Are you deleting the previous 32-bit installation before you
    attempt to install the 64-bit version?

    Mostly it's a lack of definitive information as to what is
    going on. Please be as detailed as you can.

    Theo, Jan 31, 2008

  3. Iplant

    Iplant Guest

    Sorry...the PC came with Vista Home Preminum 32 bit installed...that's what
    is loaded on the PC right now. I have purchased retail Upgrade Vista
    Ultimate disk that I wish to install.

    The version I wanted to install was 64 bit.

    In the past, I have used the 32 disk to upgrade this Home preminum OEM to
    Vista Ultimate 32 bit...this did work! However, it does not seem to allow me
    to upgrade the Home Preminum version 32 bit to a Ultimate 64 bit version.

    It does start the installation, and stops at the screen which allows you to
    choose which hard drive the installation should be on. It tells me that I
    need to have a genuine Windows copy running on the hard disk. I do have the
    32 bit version and it is validated.

    I am assuming that I need to purchase a full retail copy of Vista and
    install the 64 bit version over my 32 OEM Home Preminum version in order do
    this type of upgrade. It seems a shame not to be able to use the purchased
    disk to upgrade to 64 bit...it wasn't cheap.
    --
    always learning

    Iplant, Jan 31, 2008
  4. First of all it is not an upgrade but a migration. Sounds like a fine
    distinction, but it is not.

    Just to be sure, you have booted the computer with the Vista x64 dvd, right?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 31, 2008
  5. Iplant

    Jane C Guest

    Hi Karen,

    All upgrades (using upgrade version media) must be started from the existing
    desktop, not by booting with the DVD. As you are upgrading from a 32 bit to
    a 64 bit version, you will have to perform the "custom install" option.
    This should give you the opportunity to either install to a different
    drive/partition, or to wipe out and install over the current installation.

    The current Windows version must be up and running so that the upgrade can
    actually check that you are in compliance for the upgrade.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Desktop Experience

    Jane C, Jan 31, 2008
  6. Iplant

    Iplant Guest

    Hi Colin and Jane,

    I have tried both methods to make this work, from the desktop and from the
    dvd boot...the desktop tells me I need need to boot from the install media,
    the boot DVD tells me I can only do a custom clean install (upgrade has been
    disabled), lets me type the product key and at the next window that selects
    the drive to install it on, it will not let me proceed. The yellow warning
    message is this "To use the product key you entered, start the installation
    on a computer that is running a genuine version of Vista." I double
    checked...and went out to the site...the label indicates I am genuine...
    --
    always learning

    Iplant, Feb 1, 2008
  7. Ah. Well you can't run from the desktop of a 32bit system because Vista x64
    Setup is a 64bit program. As to "genuine version of Windows" the installed
    Windows clearly failed validation. That is another issue.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 1, 2008
  8. Iplant

    Jane C Guest

    Scratch that reply - brain fade issue :((

    Jane C, Feb 1, 2008
  9. No, Jane. Vista x64 upgrade editions must start by booting from the dvd if
    the legacy Windows is x86. X64 upgrade editions do not work like x86
    upgrade editions which do require starting from the existing Windows
    desktop, whether that desktop is x86 or x64.

    The x64 Setup asks for the PK and if it is an upgrade edition PK then
    searches the system for a qualifying installed Windows. If it finds one it
    proceeds exactly as it would if it were a full edition PK. If you boot with
    an x64 dvd and enter an upgrade edition PK you will NOT be blocked by "The
    product key you entered requires you to install Windows from the existing
    Windows."

    That means that unlike the x86 upgrade editions, the x64 ones permit a true
    clean install. This is because the user has booted with the dvd and the
    disk tools are therefore available.

    A custom install is required unless the installed Windows is upgradeable by
    the new version. That means that if you have Vista Home Basic x64, Vista
    Home Premium x64, or Vista Business x64 installed and you are installing
    Vista Ultimate x64 the Upgrade option will be enabled too. Anything else
    and only Custom will be enabled.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 1, 2008
  10. Iplant

    Jane C Guest

    Karen, accept my apologies for my earlier reply - a case of brain fade :(
    64 bit must be installed by booting from DVD. Why it won't allow your
    upgrade edition key to be used I can't make head or tail of, as upgrading by
    this method from a 32 bit to a 64 bit installation is certainly supported.
    I wonder why it is not detecting that you already have a valid install?

    Jane C, Feb 1, 2008
  11. Iplant

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Iplant:
    After you re-installed Vista 32-bit it has to be activated before it
    will showup as genuine. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Vista Enterprise x64, Office 2007

    Dennis Pack, Feb 1, 2008
  12. Iplant

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Colin:
    The upgrade scenerio is still as confusing as it was before RTM. It's
    surprising that there aren't more posts with problems. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Feb 1, 2008
  13. Iplant

    Iplant Guest

    Thanks all for the input...I did re-install Ultimate 32 bit and once again
    got it re-activated...again...actually was rather quick...I also went out and
    made sure I was genuine Windows Vista...got the seal of approval if you
    will...ha...ha...but it still stops at the same point...does anyone have
    suggestions where I might go to next?
    --
    always learning

    Iplant, Feb 1, 2008
  14. Iplant

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Iplant:
    I haven't tried this since I'm running the Enterprise edition but it
    should work. Boot the PC with the Vista x64 Ultimate disk in the drive,
    don't enter a product key, on the next screen select Ultimate, continue and
    complete the installation. After the installation is complete select
    computer then select system properties from the tool bar, at the bottom
    under "Windows activation" there should be a choice to "change product key",
    then type in the upgrade product key. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Feb 1, 2008
  15. Iplant

    Iplant Guest

    Your my hero Dennis...that seems to be doing the trick...thanks so much for
    the help!
    --
    always learning

    Iplant, Feb 1, 2008
  16. I have upgraded unactivated copies of XP to Vista using an upgrade edition
    PK.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 1, 2008
  17. Yes it is. One has to keep x86 upgrade editions and x64 upgrade editions
    completely separated when discussing them.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 1, 2008
  18. Further thought: I hope Windows 7 only comes out in one edition or at least
    only one for consumers and one for businesses. Having both x86 and x64
    editions complicates things enough.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 1, 2008