    Can someone help me to get both DVD drives working together please?!!

    Many thanks,

    Mitch

    mitchbryan, Oct 6, 2009

  2. mitchbryan

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The mitchbryan Post:
    > I have a sata motherboard with 4 sata data connections on.
    >
    > My hard drive is connected to Sata 0 and my DVD burner is connected to
    > Sata 1.
    >
    > This is all fine. But I want to add another DVD drive. I have
    > connected the power cable to the drive and tried connecting the data
    > cable to Sata 2 and Sata 3, neither of which has worked.
    >
    > The drive does not show up in the bios no matter how I try. I have
    > switched cables round and ports round - both drives work as do both
    > data cables, as whichever is connected to Sata 1 appears in the bios.
    >
    > Can someone help me to get both DVD drives working together please?!!
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Mitch

    This may help you:
    http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lookup 1/F5E7D28F0C7C469FCA256BE8001ABBA3
    Need to set second DVD jumpers to slave.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Oct 6, 2009

  3. mitchbryan

    Mike Easter Guest

    mitchbryan wrote:
    > I have a sata motherboard with 4 sata data connections on.

    What's the mobo's brand and modelno? (also) Is it SATA I or II?

    > My hard drive is connected to Sata 0 and my DVD burner is connected to
    > Sata 1.
    >
    > This is all fine. But I want to add another DVD drive. I have
    > connected the power cable to the drive and tried connecting the data
    > cable to Sata 2 and Sata 3, neither of which has worked.

    What is the brand and modelno of the newer DVD? (also) Is it SATA I or
    II? Does it have a jumper to enable/change its SATA compatibility
    status?

    > The drive does not show up in the bios no matter how I try. I have
    > switched cables round and ports round - both drives work as do both
    > data cables, as whichever is connected to Sata 1 appears in the bios.

    Can you put the older DVD into the 3rd or 4th SATA data connector and
    have it work or seen by the BIOS?

    > Can someone help me to get both DVD drives working together please?!!

    Some SATA devices need to be jumper configured to be the right SATA I or
    II compatible.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 6, 2009
  4. mitchbryan

    mitchbryan Guest

    I'm quite new to this lot so hope I give you the right information
    here.

    My motherboard is Dell Inspiron 531. I am not sure if it SATA 1 or 2
    though.

    My DVD Burner is LG GH22 and the new one I want to put in is the
    Toshiba SH-D163B.

    I am not sure where to find this jumper - on the rear of both DVD
    drives there are only the SATA ports, I can't see anything else.

    Hope this helps!!

    Mitch

    mitchbryan, Oct 6, 2009
  5. mitchbryan

    Mike Easter Guest

    mitchbryan wrote:

    > My motherboard is Dell Inspiron 531. I am not sure if it SATA 1 or 2
    > though.

    SATA II

    > My DVD Burner is LG GH22 and the new one I want to put in is the
    > Toshiba SH-D163B.

    You forgot to say what happens if you put the old LG GH22 onto the 3rd
    SATA data.

    I haven't found the SH-D163B - first glance suggests that it is also a
    LG not Toshiba.

    Dell suggests connecting hdd/s to the sata 0 & 1 and opticals to the
    sata 2 & 3.

    So did you test the operational status of the 3rd sata - sata2 - with
    the known operational optical? What was the result? Did the bios see
    it?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 6, 2009
  6. mitchbryan

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > mitchbryan wrote:

    >> Toshiba SH-D163B.

    > You forgot to say what happens if you put the old LG GH22 onto the 3rd
    > SATA data.
    >
    > I haven't found the SH-D163B - first glance suggests that it is also a
    > LG not Toshiba.

    Altho' Samsung support denied a hit on the SH-D163B for my IP address in
    the US, googleweb advanced search shows me support in the Samsung Baltic
    section - but your IP looks like you are Brit.

    http://snipr.com/sd7ia SH-D163B

    There are no jumpers to configure.

    I would connect your hdd to sata0, nothing to sata1, and your primary
    optical to sata2 and your other optical to sata3.

    You need to prove that your bios can see either one of the opticals in
    sata 2 and/or sata3.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 6, 2009
  7. mitchbryan

    PeeCee Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > So did you test the operational status of the 3rd sata - sata2 - with
    > the known operational optical? What was the result? Did the bios see
    > it?

    <quote>
    The drive does not show up in the bios no matter how I try. I have
    switched cables round and ports round - both drives work as do both
    data cables, as whichever is connected to Sata 1 appears in the bios.
    </quote>

    mmmmmmmm!

    PeeCee, Oct 7, 2009
  8. mitchbryan

    PeeCee Guest

    "mitchbryan" <> wrote in message

    > I have a sata motherboard with 4 sata data connections on.
    >
    > My hard drive is connected to Sata 0 and my DVD burner is connected to
    > Sata 1.
    >
    > This is all fine. But I want to add another DVD drive. I have
    > connected the power cable to the drive and tried connecting the data
    > cable to Sata 2 and Sata 3, neither of which has worked.
    >
    > The drive does not show up in the bios no matter how I try. I have
    > switched cables round and ports round - both drives work as do both
    > data cables, as whichever is connected to Sata 1 appears in the bios.
    >
    > Can someone help me to get both DVD drives working together please?!!
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Mitch

    Mitch

    Check in your Bios that all the SATA ports are enabled.
    If they are all enabled then you may have a faulty motherboard given your
    tests indicate both drives and cables are working normally.
    I take it you've also swapped the power leads around.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 7, 2009
  9. mitchbryan

    Mike Easter Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> So did you test the operational status of the 3rd sata - sata2 - with
    >> the known operational optical? What was the result? Did the bios

    see
    >> it?

    > <quote>
    > The drive does not show up in the bios no matter how I try.

    This is him saying that he has tried to put the new dvd somewhere.

    > I have
    > switched cables round and ports round - both drives work as do both
    > data cables, as whichever is connected to Sata 1 appears in the bios.
    > </quote>

    This is *not* him saying that he ever put the old optical into the 3rd
    sata. He is only saying that both opticals (and both cables) have
    worked in sata1 and that the new optical doesn't work in sata2. His
    initial configuration was hdd sata0, old optical sata1, new optical
    sata2. Nogo for new optical in sata2.

    He has also proven that the new optical does show up when it is in
    sata1.

    I would like to know if the hdd in sata0 + the old working optical in
    sata2 shows up. If it does, then what about the new optical in sata2.
    I don't see that he has ever proven that the mobo's sata 2&3 are
    working -- that anything works in sata2 (or sata3)

    I think his configuration should be hdd sata0, one optical sata2, one
    optical sata3. But he has to prove the last 2 sata/s are actually
    working.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 7, 2009
  10. mitchbryan

    > PeeCee wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> So did you test the operational status of the 3rd sata - sata2 - with
    >>> the known operational optical? What was the result? Did the bios

    > see
    >>> it?

    >> <quote>
    >> The drive does not show up in the bios no matter how I try.

    > This is him saying that he has tried to put the new dvd somewhere.
    >
    >> I have
    >> switched cables round and ports round - both drives work as do both
    >> data cables, as whichever is connected to Sata 1 appears in the bios.
    >> </quote>

    > This is *not* him saying that he ever put the old optical into the 3rd
    > sata. He is only saying that both opticals (and both cables) have
    > worked in sata1 and that the new optical doesn't work in sata2. His
    > initial configuration was hdd sata0, old optical sata1, new optical
    > sata2. Nogo for new optical in sata2.
    >
    > He has also proven that the new optical does show up when it is in
    > sata1.
    >
    > I would like to know if the hdd in sata0 + the old working optical in
    > sata2 shows up. If it does, then what about the new optical in sata2.
    > I don't see that he has ever proven that the mobo's sata 2&3 are
    > working -- that anything works in sata2 (or sata3)
    >
    > I think his configuration should be hdd sata0, one optical sata2, one
    > optical sata3. But he has to prove the last 2 sata/s are actually
    > working.
    >
    >> mmmmmmmm!

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    OK so that's how you see it.

    Me, I think it would be reasonable to expect a drive that will appear on
    Sata 1, albeit the old or the new one, should also appear on SATA 2/3
    Which is what I understand him to be saying.

    Unless it's a really weird motherboard (ok ok it's a DELL :)) it should be
    the same chipset for SATA 1,2,3 and 4.
    Therefore there should be no reason other than being disabled or fried for
    SATA 2/3 not to see the same drive SATA 1 can see.
    Which is again what I think the OP is alluding to.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 7, 2009
  11. mitchbryan

    Mike Easter Guest

    PeeCee wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    > Me, I think it would be reasonable to expect a drive that will appear

    on
    > Sata 1, albeit the old or the new one, should also appear on SATA 2/3

    Yes.

    > Which is what I understand him to be saying.

    I wasn't understanding him so well. I was trying to get him to say if
    his old optical which was known to be working would show on sata2or3.

    > Unless it's a really weird motherboard (ok ok it's a DELL :)) it
    > should be the same chipset for SATA 1,2,3 and 4.

    Yes.

    > Therefore there should be no reason other than being disabled or fried
    > for SATA 2/3 not to see the same drive SATA 1 can see.

    Yes.

    > Which is again what I think the OP is alluding to.

    He has 2 opticals available to test sata/s 2 &/or 3. I'm sure the new
    optical did not confirm that sata2 was working. I wonder if the old
    optical would also say that sata2 wasn't working for it.

    I know that he said he tried opticals and cables 'every whichaway', but
    I don't know *exactly* what that means, so I was trying to see if there
    was some kind of further sign that sata2 (or 3) didn't work, such as not
    showing a known good optical.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 7, 2009
  12. mitchbryan

    mitchbryan Guest

    right sorry i haven't replied - couldn't get online lst night.

    i have tried both optical drives in SATA ports 1 2 and 3. nothing ever
    appears in ports 2 or 3. i have tried every combination (i.e. 1-2,
    1-3, 2-3) with each drive. i only ever get sata 1 working in the bios.
    the power to the drives isn't the problem as i can open both drives
    all the time.

    how do i check they are enabled in the bios - i thought they were
    automatically enabled and i could plug something in and it should be
    detected stright away?

    thanks for helping on this!

    mitchbryan, Oct 8, 2009
  13. mitchbryan

    Mike Easter Guest

    mitchbryan wrote:

    > how do i check they are enabled in the bios - i thought they were
    > automatically enabled and i could plug something in and it should be
    > detected stright away?

    I would assume so as well.

    I have seen the Dell Inspiron 531 manual. I don't have a link to it
    right now, but its filename is 45605A00MR.pdf

    That manual doesn't have any display of the contents or screenshots of
    much of the BIOS setup, so you'll have to look at that on your own.

    (Also) The manual sez that you get to Dell Diagnostics by using F12 when
    the Dell logo shows. Pages 80-83 tell all about what kinds of
    diagnostics you can get. That might be useful about the device
    situation.

    The manual also sez that you can get to the bios setup by using F2 when
    the logo shows. Page 172 starts talking about setup, but then doesn't
    go very far and doesn't provide any such information as (dis-
    or)enabling sata/s.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 8, 2009
  14. mitchbryan

    mitchbryan Guest

    ok that was very useful! had a look in the manual which i managed to
    download.

    it says my mother board only supports 2 sata connections. is there
    another way to connect a sata drive using a convertor?

    mitchbryan, Oct 8, 2009
  15. mitchbryan

    Mike Easter Guest

    mitchbryan wrote:
    > ok that was very useful! had a look in the manual which i managed to
    > download.
    >
    > it says my mother board only supports 2 sata connections. is there
    > another way to connect a sata drive using a convertor?

    Where do you see that?

    I see:

    p 121
    Recommended Drive Cable Connections
    .. Connect serial ATA hard drives to connectors labeled "SATA0" or
    "SATA1" on the system board.
    .. Connect serial ATA CD or DVD drives to connectors labeled "SATA2" or
    "SATA3" on the system board.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 8, 2009
  16. mitchbryan

    Mike Easter Guest

    mitchbryan wrote:
    > ok that was very useful! had a look in the manual which i managed to
    > download.
    >
    > it says my mother board only supports 2 sata connections. is there
    > another way to connect a sata drive using a convertor?

    manual p120
    Drives
    Your computer supports a combination of these devices:
    .. Up to two serial ATA hard drives
    .. One optional floppy drive or an optional Media Card Read
    .. Up to two CD or DVD drives

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 8, 2009
  17. mitchbryan

    Mike Easter Guest

    mitchbryan wrote:

    > it says my mother board only supports 2 sata connections.

    There's this http://snipr.com/sejhi Trouble enabling a new DVD drive
    port in Setup - Inspiron 531

    and this http://snipr.com/sejnu
    Reboot and enter bios setup (F2)
    Step 1: HDD SMART: DISABLED
    Step 2: Advanced / Integrated Peripherals / Serial-ATA Configuration;
    set the SATA controller to SATA 1+2 - this activates the other 2 SATA
    ports

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 8, 2009
  18. mitchbryan

    Mike Easter Guest

    PeeCee wrote:

    > Check in your Bios that all the SATA ports are enabled.

    Apparently Dell obfuscates the disabled sata 2 & sata 3 condition. The
    configuration for all 4 is 'sata 1+2' in Advanced section/ integrated

    Mike Easter, Oct 8, 2009
  19. mitchbryan

    > PeeCee wrote:
    >
    >> Check in your Bios that all the SATA ports are enabled.

    > Apparently Dell obfuscates the disabled sata 2 & sata 3 condition. The
    > configuration for all 4 is 'sata 1+2' in Advanced section/ integrated
    > peripherals / serial-ata configuration/
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks Mike

    Thought it may be something like that.
    Would the OP advise if this was the case.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 8, 2009