    in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
    changed).

    ideas?? TIA

    Tim, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Tim

    ICee Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
    > BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
    >
    > Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
    > in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
    > changed).
    >

    > ideas?? TIA

    What are the two drives on the channel? Are both UDMA 66? Are they set
    as Master and Slave or Cable Select?

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Tim

    Tim Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:39:45 GMT, "ICee" <> wrote:

    >Tim wrote:
    >> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
    >> BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
    >>
    >> Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
    >> in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
    >> changed).
    >>

    >> ideas?? TIA

    >What are the two drives on the channel? Are both UDMA 66? Are they set
    >as Master and Slave or Cable Select?

    Using 2 seagate drives that are both ATA100 - 40GB one is set to
    master, 80GB is slave. IDE Cable is brand new and 80 pin.

    BIOS screen confirms its set to UDMA-66 (thats the max for the Tyan
    S1854 mobo).

    Tried just the master drive on the primary IDE channel by itself,
    didn't make a difference.

    It appears to be set by windows... man... I'm stumped!!

    Tim, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Tim

    ICee Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:39:45 GMT, "ICee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tim wrote:
    >>> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the
    >>> channel. BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3
    >>> (UDMA-33).
    >>>
    >>> Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
    >>> in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and
    >>> nothing changed).
    >>>

    >>> ideas?? TIA

    >> What are the two drives on the channel? Are both UDMA 66? Are they
    >> set as Master and Slave or Cable Select?

    > Using 2 seagate drives that are both ATA100 - 40GB one is set to
    > master, 80GB is slave. IDE Cable is brand new and 80 pin.
    >
    > BIOS screen confirms its set to UDMA-66 (thats the max for the Tyan
    > S1854 mobo).
    >
    > Tried just the master drive on the primary IDE channel by itself,
    > didn't make a difference.
    >
    > It appears to be set by windows... man... I'm stumped!!

    That is odd. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the solution is. XP
    seems to set the DMA mode on it's own and there is only a selection
    between PIO mode and DMA if available.
    Hopefully, someone will come along with an idea what to do.

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Howdy!

    "Tim" <> wrote in message

    > ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
    > BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).

    And how is the cable run? If you turn the cable around, the cable
    doesn't ID to the MB as an ATA-66+ cable.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Tim

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:32:27 -0500, Tim <> wrote:

    >ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
    >BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
    >
    >Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
    >in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
    >changed).
    >

    >ideas?? TIA

    Maybe some help here:

    Ultra DMA Mode 6 Devices Are Not Enabled on VIA Motherboards
    After You Install Windows XP SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q327805

    Windows XP Service Pack 1 Incorrectly Identifies the VIA
    VT82C686B Chipset as Supporting Ultra DMA Mode 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q813861

    Integrated Technology Express Devices May Not Work with Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329180

    HOW TO: Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data
    to a CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q324129

    How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW,
    and DVD Discs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641
    HOW TO: Manage Devices in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283658

    HOW TO: Configure Devices By Using Device Manager in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307970

    Unk, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Tim

    Tim Guest

    On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:15:51 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    <> wrote:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
    >> BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).

    > And how is the cable run? If you turn the cable around, the cable
    >doesn't ID to the MB as an ATA-66+ cable.
    >
    > RwP

    Hi,

    The section of cable with the two clips on each end are attached to
    the motherboard. The other two pieces that are notched are attached to
    the drives... haven't tried reversing them. I did try a plain ole' 40
    pin IDE cable on one of the drives just to see what would happen and
    it forced it do UDMA-1 for some reason (again BIOS shows UDMA-4).

    Quirky!

    Tim, Jan 7, 2004
  8. Tim

    Tim Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:00:02 -0500, Unk <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:32:27 -0500, Tim <> wrote:
    >

    >>ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
    >>BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
    >>
    >>Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
    >>in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
    >>changed).
    >>

    >>ideas?? TIA

    >Maybe some help here:
    >
    >Ultra DMA Mode 6 Devices Are Not Enabled on VIA Motherboards
    >After You Install Windows XP SP1
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q327805
    >
    >Windows XP Service Pack 1 Incorrectly Identifies the VIA
    >VT82C686B Chipset as Supporting Ultra DMA Mode 6
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q813861
    >
    >Integrated Technology Express Devices May Not Work with Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329180
    >
    >HOW TO: Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data
    >to a CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q324129
    >
    >How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW,
    >and DVD Discs
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641
    >HOW TO: Manage Devices in Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283658
    >
    >HOW TO: Configure Devices By Using Device Manager in Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307970

    Tried the top 2, my chipset is VT82C694X but the problem people were
    having is oddly similar - UDMA-5 drive/board but XP will only run in
    UDMA-4.

    Anyway, have the latest IDE VIA drivers installed on this hunk.. this
    is starting to drive me insane.

    I wanted to get the ABIT VP6 (for dual p3 1ghz CPUs and an extra DIMM
    bank).. it has 4 IDE channels, ATA100 and RAID but it has the same
    VIA 133 VT82C694X chipset... if the drivers are going to be messed up
    with that board its kinda pointless.

    Tim, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Tim

    Sano Guest

    In my limited experience, that chipset is shit.

    It got harder and harder to find references to it on the Via site, about a
    year ago. And any reference to it in their forums seems to be absent.

    <insert convenient conspiracy theory here ____________>

    Tim <> spluttered in

    --
    The tongue weighs practically nothing,
    But so few people can hold it.

    Sano, Jan 7, 2004
  10. Tim

    ICee Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:15:51 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Howdy!
    >>
    >> "Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the
    >>> channel. BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3
    >>> (UDMA-33).

    >> And how is the cable run? If you turn the cable around, the
    >> cable doesn't ID to the MB as an ATA-66+ cable.
    >>
    >> RwP
    >>

    > Hi,
    >

    > The section of cable with the two clips on each end are attached to
    > the motherboard. The other two pieces that are notched are attached to
    > the drives... haven't tried reversing them. I did try a plain ole' 40
    > pin IDE cable on one of the drives just to see what would happen and
    > it forced it do UDMA-1 for some reason (again BIOS shows UDMA-4).
    >

    > Quirky!

    That part is not quirky. ATA-66 and above require a 80 conductor, 40
    pin cable.

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 7, 2004
  11. Tim

    Tim Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 02:49:42 -0600, Sano
    <> wrote:

    >In my limited experience, that chipset is shit.
    >
    >It got harder and harder to find references to it on the Via site, about a
    >year ago. And any reference to it in their forums seems to be absent.
    >
    ><insert convenient conspiracy theory here ____________>
    >
    >Tim <> spluttered in
    >

    >> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
    >> BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
    >>
    >> Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
    >> in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
    >> changed).
    >>

    >> ideas?? TIA

    I am inclined to agree on this... can't find any other descent dual
    p3/1ghz boards with 4 DIMMS & RAID though so Abit VP6 it is.

    Found the answer to my problem on the VIA forums though... sort of odd
    that you have to uninstall their driver to fix the bloody problem..
    thats some pretty questionable support :)

    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=45244&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

    1) Goto Device Manager
    2) Double-click on the VIA IDE Controller and choose 'Update Driver'
    3) Choose 'Install from a list or a specific Location'
    4) Choose 'Don't search, I will choose the driver to install'
    5) Choose 'Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller', if not there then back
    to step 3 choose 'Install the software automatically' and then repeat
    steps again from number 1 as it will appear then.
    6) You will after after successfully updating will need to reboot the
    system !

    Tim, Jan 7, 2004
  12. Tim

    Sano Guest

    Tim <> spluttered in

    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 02:49:42 -0600, Sano
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In my limited experience, that chipset is shit.
    >>
    >>It got harder and harder to find references to it on the Via site,
    >>about a year ago. And any reference to it in their forums seems to be
    >>absent.
    >>
    >><insert convenient conspiracy theory here ____________>
    >>
    >>Tim <> spluttered in
    >>

    >>> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the
    >>> channel. BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3
    >>> (UDMA-33).
    >>>
    >>> Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable
    >>> UDMA-66 in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key
    >>> and nothing changed).
    >>>

    >>> ideas?? TIA

    > I am inclined to agree on this... can't find any other descent dual
    > p3/1ghz boards with 4 DIMMS & RAID though so Abit VP6 it is.
    >

    > Found the answer to my problem on the VIA forums though... sort of
    > odd that you have to uninstall their driver to fix the bloody
    > problem.. thats some pretty questionable support :)
    >

    > http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=45244&FTVA
    > R_MSGDBTABLE=
    >
    > 1) Goto Device Manager
    > 2) Double-click on the VIA IDE Controller and choose 'Update Driver'
    > 3) Choose 'Install from a list or a specific Location'
    > 4) Choose 'Don't search, I will choose the driver to install'
    > 5) Choose 'Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller', if not there then back
    > to step 3 choose 'Install the software automatically' and then repeat
    > steps again from number 1 as it will appear then.
    > 6) You will after after successfully updating will need to reboot the
    > system !

    Thanks. I put *that* mobo in my parents machine. It won't cause anyone any
    problems there. ;)

    Sano, Jan 7, 2004
  13. Tim

    Scotoma Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message

    > ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
    > BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
    >
    > Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
    > in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
    > changed).
    >

    > ideas?? TIA

    Hi Tim
    You may want to look here.
    http://www.pureperformance.com/js/showtip.asp?id=23 . I have udma66 enabled
    without this patch in xp but I am only running 1 udma66 (ata100) HD. In
    device manger it is running in ultra dma mode 5 at present. Try forcing it
    with the reg patch as I've read that xp does not always (so it seems :-o)
    enable udma66. (backup reg first!!! edit the reg manually. It will give you
    more bandwidth even if this does not fix your problem.

    Scotoma, Jan 7, 2004
  14. Tim

    Tim Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:30:25 GMT, "Scotoma" <> wrote:

    >"Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
    >> BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
    >>
    >> Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
    >> in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
    >> changed).
    >>

    >> ideas?? TIA

    >Hi Tim
    >You may want to look here.
    >http://www.pureperformance.com/js/showtip.asp?id=23 . I have udma66 enabled
    >without this patch in xp but I am only running 1 udma66 (ata100) HD. In
    >device manger it is running in ultra dma mode 5 at present. Try forcing it
    >with the reg patch as I've read that xp does not always (so it seems :-o)
    >enable udma66. (backup reg first!!! edit the reg manually. It will give you
    >more bandwidth even if this does not fix your problem.

    Hi - thats the first thing I tired but it didn't work for my
    particular situation. Adding the UDMA66 DWORD to the reg will only
    work on the Intel chipsets apparently!

    Tim, Jan 7, 2004
  15. Tim

    Scotoma Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:30:25 GMT, "Scotoma" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> ok, have a shiny new 80 pin IDE connector, two drives on the channel.
    > >> BIOS says UDMA-4 (UDMA-66) enabled, Windows XP says UDMA-3 (UDMA-33).
    > >>
    > >> Can't find any info anywhere or any registry edits to enable UDMA-66
    > >> in XP on this chipset (just the intel hack - added the key and nothing
    > >> changed).
    > >>

    > >> ideas?? TIA

    > >Hi Tim
    > >You may want to look here.
    > >http://www.pureperformance.com/js/showtip.asp?id=23 . I have udma66

    enabled
    > >without this patch in xp but I am only running 1 udma66 (ata100) HD. In
    > >device manger it is running in ultra dma mode 5 at present. Try forcing

    it
    > >with the reg patch as I've read that xp does not always (so it seems :-o)
    > >enable udma66. (backup reg first!!! edit the reg manually. It will give

    you
    > >more bandwidth even if this does not fix your problem.
    > >

    > Hi - thats the first thing I tired but it didn't work for my
    > particular situation. Adding the UDMA66 DWORD to the reg will only
    > work on the Intel chipsets apparently!

    Didn't know that. Cheers :))
    What about the cable like Ralph Wade Phillips suggested or jumper switches
    or bios settings? If you had udma66 running ok before, then maybe the cable
    is at fault. Good luck anyways. :))

    Scotoma, Jan 7, 2004
  16. Howdy!

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:15:51 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
    > <> wrote:

    > > And how is the cable run? If you turn the cable around, the

    cable
    > >doesn't ID to the MB as an ATA-66+ cable.
    > >

    > Hi,
    >

    > The section of cable with the two clips on each end are attached to
    > the motherboard. The other two pieces that are notched are attached to
    > the drives... haven't tried reversing them. I did try a plain ole' 40
    > pin IDE cable on one of the drives just to see what would happen and
    > it forced it do UDMA-1 for some reason (again BIOS shows UDMA-4).

    As has been pointed out, that's due to the MB not setting above
    ATA-33 on a 40 pin cable.

    I'm anxiously watching - I have one customer with one machine on a
    SiS chipset that runs PIO 4 on a UDMA 4 drive ... with ATA-66 IDE ports.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 9, 2004