    to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any recommendations as to
    what I should do in Vista to get back to a good viewing program? NOT
    editing, just viewing.
    Ed Mullikin, Mar 7, 2008

  2. Ed Mullikin

    PCs Rule Guest

    "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote in message
    news:0_fAj.20555$...
    >I used to view my photos with no problem when I used Microsoft XP. It was
    >great. I don't know what the default program was. Now, having "upgraded"
    >to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any recommendations as to
    >what I should do in Vista to get back to a good viewing program? NOT
    >editing, just viewing.

    Define "all screwed up!"
    PCs Rule, Mar 7, 2008

  3. Ed Mullikin

    Don Wiss Guest

    For just viewing nothing beats the freeware www.Irfanview.com

    Don Wiss, Mar 7, 2008
  4. Ed Mullikin

    Tony M Guest

    On 07/03/2008 18:39, * Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > I used to view my photos with no problem when I used Microsoft XP. It
    > was great. I don't know what the default program was. Now, having
    > "upgraded" to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any
    > recommendations as to what I should do in Vista to get back to a good
    > viewing program? NOT editing, just viewing.

    Get rid of Vista and go back to XP
    Tony M, Mar 7, 2008
  5. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "Tony M" <> wrote in message
    > On 07/03/2008 18:39, * Ed Mullikin wrote:
    >> I used to view my photos with no problem when I used Microsoft XP. It
    >> was great. I don't know what the default program was. Now, having
    >> "upgraded" to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any
    >> recommendations as to what I should do in Vista to get back to a good
    >> viewing program? NOT editing, just viewing.

    > Get rid of Vista and go back to XP

    "All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double click
    on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used to get one
    enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered smaller photos across
    the bottom.

    Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
    default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.

    I'd LIKE VERY MUCH to go back to XP but that presents its own problems.

    I have to go now and slit my wrists!
    Ed Mullikin, Mar 7, 2008
  6. Ed Mullikin

    Charlie Choc Guest

    On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:18:55 -0500, "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote:

    >"All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double click
    >on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used to get one
    >enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered smaller photos across
    >the bottom.

    Windows Photo Gallery (http://tinyurl.com/29sl9t) should open when you
    double-click a photo, unless you have installed another application that sets
    itself as the default for JPG files. Try opening Photo Gallery directly from the
    start menu and see what the photos look like there.
    --
    Charlie...
    http://www.chocphoto.com
    Charlie Choc, Mar 7, 2008
  7. Ed Mullikin

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 15:18:55 -0500, Ed Mullikin <> wrote:

    >Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
    >default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.

    What file associations it has is entirely under your control. If you
    neglect to set them when installing, you can find them under Options -> Set
    file associations...

    Don Wiss, Mar 7, 2008
  8. Ed Mullikin <> wrote:
    > "Tony M" <> wrote in message
    >> On 07/03/2008 18:39, * Ed Mullikin wrote:
    >>> I used to view my photos with no problem when I used Microsoft XP. It
    >>> was great. I don't know what the default program was. Now, having
    >>> "upgraded" to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any
    >>> recommendations as to what I should do in Vista to get back to a good
    >>> viewing program? NOT editing, just viewing.

    >> Get rid of Vista and go back to XP

    > "All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double click
    > on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used to get one
    > enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered smaller photos across
    > the bottom.

    > Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
    > default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.

    That happened only because you permitted that "for everything" default
    at installation. You can choose exactly what it gets used at
    installation time.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Mar 8, 2008
  9. Ed Mullikin

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:
    > Ed Mullikin <> wrote:
    >> "Tony M" <> wrote in message
    >>> Get rid of Vista and go back to XP

    >> "All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double click
    >> on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used to get one
    >> enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered smaller photos across
    >> the bottom.

    >> Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
    >> default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.

    > That happened only because you permitted that "for everything" default
    > at installation. You can choose exactly what it gets used at
    > installation time.

    I haven't re-installed Irfanview since a re-build. I like the default
    viewer in winxp. For Irfanview, one option is to install and clear all
    file associations. Leave an icon on your desktop and simply drag and
    drop when you need it (or right click). Irfanview is useful for other
    than the default viewer even if you use an editor like PS or PSP.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Mar 8, 2008
  10. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Malcolm wrote:
    >> Ed Mullikin <> wrote:
    >>> "Tony M" <> wrote in message

    >>> "All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double
    >>> click on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used to
    >>> get one enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered smaller
    >>> photos across the bottom.

    >>> Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
    >>> default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.

    >> That happened only because you permitted that "for everything" default
    >> at installation. You can choose exactly what it gets used at
    >> installation time.
    >>

    > I haven't re-installed Irfanview since a re-build. I like the default
    > viewer in winxp. For Irfanview, one option is to install and clear all
    > file associations. Leave an icon on your desktop and simply drag and drop
    > when you need it (or right click). Irfanview is useful for other than the
    > default viewer even if you use an editor like PS or PSP.
    > Dave Cohen

    I have a significant (but infrequent) need for Irfanview and I will
    reinstall it being more careful about what I tell it to do. I would like
    very much to go back to the default viewer in XP but I don't know what it
    was and I don't know if it would work in Vista. It was exactly what I would
    like in Vista. Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try them
    tomorrow.
    Ed Mullikin, Mar 8, 2008
  11. Ed Mullikin wrote:
    []
    > I have a significant (but infrequent) need for Irfanview and I will
    > reinstall it being more careful about what I tell it to do. I would
    > like very much to go back to the default viewer in XP but I don't
    > know what it was and I don't know if it would work in Vista. It was
    > exactly what I would like in Vista. Thank you all for your
    > suggestions. I will try them tomorrow.

    With Windows XP, the default was "Windows Picture and FAX Viewer". On
    Vista it is "Windows Photo Gallery". For use with JPEGs, the two look
    similar to me, with the forward and back buttons, and the full-size and
    fit to screen functions being easily accessible. On both operating
    systems, a right-click Preview can also bring up the viewer.

    How does the Vista Photo Gallery not suit your needs?

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 8, 2008
  12. Ed Mullikin

    Jeff Guest

    "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote in

    > "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    >> Chris Malcolm wrote:

    >>> That happened only because you permitted that "for everything"
    >>> default at installation. You can choose exactly what it gets used at
    >>> installation time.
    >>>

    >> I haven't re-installed Irfanview since a re-build. I like the default
    >> viewer in winxp. For Irfanview, one option is to install and clear
    >> all file associations. Leave an icon on your desktop and simply drag
    >> and drop when you need it (or right click). Irfanview is useful for
    >> other than the default viewer even if you use an editor like PS or
    >> PSP. Dave Cohen

    > I have a significant (but infrequent) need for Irfanview and I will
    > reinstall it being more careful about what I tell it to do. I would
    > like very much to go back to the default viewer in XP but I don't know
    > what it was and I don't know if it would work in Vista. It was
    > exactly what I would like in Vista. Thank you all for your
    > suggestions. I will try them tomorrow.

    The default viewer in XP is "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer". I don't have
    Vista so I don't know if it has an equivalent program.
    Jeff, Mar 8, 2008
  13. Ed Mullikin

    Bob Williams Guest

    Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > "Tony M" <> wrote in message
    >> On 07/03/2008 18:39, * Ed Mullikin wrote:
    >>> I used to view my photos with no problem when I used Microsoft XP.
    >>> It was great. I don't know what the default program was. Now,
    >>> having "upgraded" to Vista they are all screwed up! Do you have any
    >>> recommendations as to what I should do in Vista to get back to a good
    >>> viewing program? NOT editing, just viewing.

    >> Get rid of Vista and go back to XP

    > "All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double
    > click on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used to
    > get one enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered smaller
    > photos across the bottom.
    >
    > Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
    > default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.
    >
    > I'd LIKE VERY MUCH to go back to XP but that presents its own problems.
    >
    > I have to go now and slit my wrists!

    Before you slit your wrists try the following:
    RIGHT CLICK on a thumbnail image.
    From the pop up menu, Left Click on "OPEN WITH".
    From the next menu, Left Click on "Choose Program"
    From the next menu, select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"
    Check the box that says, "Always use this program to open this kind of
    File."
    That should set Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as your default image viewer.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Mar 8, 2008
  14. Ed Mullikin

    Bob Williams Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > Ed Mullikin wrote:
    >> "Tony M" <> wrote in message
    >>> Get rid of Vista and go back to XP

    >> "All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double
    >> click on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used
    >> to get one enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered
    >> smaller photos across the bottom.
    >>
    >> Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
    >> default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.
    >>
    >> I'd LIKE VERY MUCH to go back to XP but that presents its own problems.
    >>
    >> I have to go now and slit my wrists!
    >>

    > Before you slit your wrists try the following:
    > RIGHT CLICK on a thumbnail image.
    > From the pop up menu, Left Click on "OPEN WITH".
    > From the next menu, Left Click on "Choose Program"
    > From the next menu, select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"
    > Check the box that says, "Always use this program to open this kind of
    > File."
    > That should set Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as your default image
    > viewer.
    > Bob Williams

    These directions are what works with Win Xp.
    With Vista , you will select Windows Photo Gallery.
    (Leave it to MS to introduce a new name for a familiar tool for the new
    user to cope with.)
    Bob
    Bob Williams, Mar 8, 2008
  15. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:kHqAj.19677$...
    > Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > []
    >> I have a significant (but infrequent) need for Irfanview and I will
    >> reinstall it being more careful about what I tell it to do. I would
    >> like very much to go back to the default viewer in XP but I don't
    >> know what it was and I don't know if it would work in Vista. It was
    >> exactly what I would like in Vista. Thank you all for your
    >> suggestions. I will try them tomorrow.

    > With Windows XP, the default was "Windows Picture and FAX Viewer". On
    > Vista it is "Windows Photo Gallery". For use with JPEGs, the two look
    > similar to me, with the forward and back buttons, and the full-size and
    > fit to screen functions being easily accessible. On both operating
    > systems, a right-click Preview can also bring up the viewer.
    >
    > How does the Vista Photo Gallery not suit your needs?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    I think my problem was that somehow the default program was different for
    each file ext. Photo Gallery probably will be OK once I get things
    organized.
    Ed Mullikin, Mar 8, 2008
  16. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >> Ed Mullikin wrote:
    >>> "Tony M" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "All screwed up" - I don't know quite how to define it. When I double
    >>> click on a photo in Vista I get 1/4 of an enlarged photo when I used to
    >>> get one enlarged photo with a number of consecutively numbered smaller
    >>> photos across the bottom.
    >>>
    >>> Regarding Irfanview, I updated to the latest version and it became the
    >>> default for almost everything I had so now I deleted it.
    >>>
    >>> I'd LIKE VERY MUCH to go back to XP but that presents its own problems.
    >>>
    >>> I have to go now and slit my wrists!
    >>>

    >> Before you slit your wrists try the following:
    >> RIGHT CLICK on a thumbnail image.
    >> From the pop up menu, Left Click on "OPEN WITH".
    >> From the next menu, Left Click on "Choose Program"
    >> From the next menu, select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"
    >> Check the box that says, "Always use this program to open this kind of
    >> File."
    >> That should set Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as your default image
    >> viewer.
    >> Bob Williams

    > These directions are what works with Win Xp.
    > With Vista , you will select Windows Photo Gallery.
    > (Leave it to MS to introduce a new name for a familiar tool for the new
    > user to cope with.)
    > Bob

    SOMEHOW when I switched to VistaI must have ended up with different defaults
    for various file extensions. I know just enough to be dangerous around a
    computer. Thanks to all who replied.
    Ed Mullikin, Mar 8, 2008