problems forwarding http to PC

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Steve Richter, May 10, 2005.

  1. using the cisco 831 on a verizon dsl connect to the internet ...

    just experimenting, I dont have a static IP address, I am setting up
    one of my W2K PCs as a web server.

    pca - 10.10.10.2
    pcb - 10.10.10.3 ( is the web server )

    on my local lan, from 10.10.10.2, I can browse to a web page on
    10.10.10.3:
    http://10.10.10.3/demosite/page1.aspx

    So I config PAT on the cisco:
    configuation - PAT
    - enable PAT is checked
    - in the row for HTTP, port number 80, I enter 10.10.10.3, then
    click "apply"

    to verify the port forwarding, at the router service port, I run:

    Router>show ip nat translations
    Pro Inside global Inside local Outside local Outside
    global
    tcp 155.196.123.167:80 10.10.10.3:80 --- ---
    tcp 155.196.123.167:3008 10.10.10.160:3008 --- ---

    But it is not working!!

    from pc2, I browse to the web site using the public ip address:
    http://155.196.123.167/demosite/page1.aspx

    I get a windows network login ( why do I get a login prompt? )

    I key in the router user name and password

    the the browser displays:
    "page cannot be found"

    any help is appreciated. Why can I browse to my web site on the local
    lan, but not get to it thru the public IP?

    Can I put the cisco 831 router is some sort of mode where it logs all
    the traffic it is receiving and tells me what it is doing with that
    traffic.

    So far, I cannot get port forwarding to work at all on this router ( or
    the router before it ). Is there someting I should talk to verizon
    about?

    thanks,

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 10, 2005

  2. here is some more info. I dont need an access list, right? When the
    access list is not set, that means all traffic is passed?

    the "debug packet" command looks like something I would like to run to
    help troubleshoot my port forwarding problem. But the 831 router says
    that command is not found.

    How do I get the 831 router to help me troubleshoot this problem. I
    cant forward http ( port 80 ) to my local PC.

    thanks,

    -Steve

    Router>show ip nat translations
    Pro Inside global Inside local Outside local Outside
    global
    tcp xxx.xxx.121.160:80 10.10.10.3:80 --- ---
    tcp xxx.xxx.121.160:3008 10.10.10.160:3008 --- ---

    Router>show ip interface
    Dialer1 is up, line protocol is up
    Internet address is xxx.xxx.121.160/32
    Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255
    Address determined by BOOTP
    MTU is 1492 bytes
    Helper address is not set
    Directed broadcast forwarding is disabled
    Outgoing access list is not set
    Inbound access list is not set
    Proxy ARP is enabled
    Local Proxy ARP is disabled
    Security level is default
    Split horizon is enabled
    ICMP redirects are always sent
    ICMP unreachables are always sent
    ICMP mask replies are never sent
    IP fast switching is enabled
    IP fast switching on the same interface is enabled
    IP Flow switching is disabled
    IP CEF switching is disabled
    IP Feature Fast switching turbo vector
    IP multicast fast switching is enabled
    IP multicast distributed fast switching is disabled

    Steve Richter, May 10, 2005

  3. On 10 May 2005 12:59:03 -0700, "Steve Richter"
    <> wrote:

    >the "debug packet" command looks like something I would like to run to
    >help troubleshoot my port forwarding problem. But the 831 router says
    >that command is not found.

    I don't know the 831 (I'm still stuck with ISDN), but here are some
    commands that work on my 804:

    // IP cache operations
    debug ip cache
    // Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
    debug ip dhcp
    // IP error debugging
    debug ip error
    // FTP dialogue
    debug ip ftp
    // HTTP connections
    debug ip http
    // ICMP transactions
    debug ip icmp
    // IGRP information
    debug ip igrp
    // IP multicast packet debugging
    debug ip mpacket
    // NAT events (forwarded packets only)
    debug ip nat
    // General IP debugging and IPSO security transactions
    debug ip packet
    // (selected packets only)
    debug ip packet [access-list#]
    // (show source/dest port)
    debug ip packet detail
    // IP peer address activity
    debug ip peer
    // RIP protocol transactions
    debug ip rip
    // Routing table events
    debug ip routing
    // RTP information
    debug ip rtp
    // IP security options
    debug ip security
    // Socket event
    debug ip socket
    // TCP information
    debug ip tcp
    debug ip tcp driver-pak
    debug ip tcp packet
    debug ip tcp sack
    debug ip tcp transactions
    // IP temporary ACL
    debug ip tempacl
    // UDP based transactions
    debug ip udp

    As the note says, "debug ip nat" only shows you the packets that get
    NATted, not the ones you hoped were going to but didn't.

    Commands like "debug ip packet detail" can produce a _lot_ of output.
    Be careful not to trigger too much activity while they are on...

    Loren

    Loren Amelang, May 11, 2005