    etc.

    boot.ini on first partition only has info for 32bit.

    Has anyone else experienced this?

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Hello Rob,
    Use F8 to get to the Safe Mode options screen.
    Select to not automatically restart the machine.
    Now choose to boot into x64 and see if you can capture the error message.
    Most of the time the default behavior after a bluescreen is to reboot the
    box.
    This option on the Safe Mode selection screen tells the system for this
    boot, do not automatically restart after a bluescreen error.
    Subsequent boots are not affected by this change, it only applies to this
    single boot.
    But this should allow us to see what the error message is that is happening.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=" <Rob >
    <Subject: Problems dual booting xp and x64
    <Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:31:34 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Hardware:
    <Asus A8N SLI delux (latest bios)
    <2xSATA2 drives in stripe config, 3 partitions.
    <2gb corsair ram
    <
    <Hi guys
    <Okay I have 32bit XP installed without a problem. I put in my x64 disk and
    <went through the full install, using the x64 raid drivers from the nvidia
    <website. It all installs perfectly, but when it comes to fully boot the
    first
    <time it gets the windows splash screen then blue screens for a fraction of
    <second and reboots so I cannot get the error code. When it boots back up
    it
    <goes straight into 32bit XP.
    <
    <When I look in the x64 partition (first one being 32bit and third being
    <spare for data) it has 5 folders and only pagefile.sys. There are no ntldr
    or
    <ntdetect.com or anything else. In docs and settings there's no user set up
    <etc.
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 8, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    When you say comes to fully boot, do you mean the first GUI after the text
    phase or after you have completed setup and then reboot the first time
    manually.
    Did you install both driver file that are required at F6. The RAID and
    Controller?

    John Barnes, Aug 8, 2005
  4. John,

    It copied all files etc, rebooted, and went into the GUI to set up windows
    (time, keyboard etc) and rebooted. I would normally expect it to boot into
    the screen asking me to activate etc, that's where it crashes.

    And yup, both raid drivers on install.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=, Aug 8, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    When you follow Darrell's procedure, can I suggest that you delete the files
    from the x64 partition and then set the x64 partition as active in Disk
    Management, that should put the ntldr and ntdetect.com and boot.ini from the
    install on your x64 drive so you will know what %root% files are installed
    this time.

    John Barnes, Aug 8, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    On second thought, before you reinstall, why don't you add the x64 to your
    boot.ini (suggest you use Recovery Console) and try Darrell's ideas
    rebooting the x64 install you currently have using F8.

    John Barnes, Aug 8, 2005
  7. Hi Darrell,
    Okay did what you suggested and as x64 is still trying to complete
    installation it automatically choses that partition. Unfortunately it's not a
    great help:

    "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage.

    Check for viruses, do a chkdsk etc

    STOP: 0x0000007B"

    When I reboot I can keep doing this to get this error, but as soon as I
    chose safe mode it goes into 32bit windows, and I can't get back to trying to
    boot into x64 without reinstalling/repairing (hence the delay in reply)

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=, Aug 8, 2005
  8. John,

    I've tried that but no help, I will try to capture the error on that also.

    Appreciate the help also :)

    A thought occured though, maybe like you said set the partition active, wipe
    and reinstall, then maybe it'll boot fully....

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=, Aug 8, 2005
  9. from within 32bit I have my 32bit partition as active and cannot set the x64
    partition as active, although it is formatted without a prob. Am reluctant to
    wipe the complete system out. How else can I mark the x64 partition as the
    active drive?

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=, Aug 8, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=

    Rick Guest

    Your 0x000007B error is telling you the SATA drivers you are using are
    not the most current and are not properly decorated.

    What motherboard do you have and what SATA ports and configuration are
    attempting to use?

    Rick, Aug 8, 2005
  11. That's odd then, as I only downloaded them from the nvidia site today! But,
    now you said that, the second time it reboots on install it does hang for 5
    seconds on detecting the arrays....

    I have the asus a8n sli delux. There are 8 sata ports, 4 nvidia and 4 sil
    ones. I am using all the nvidia's, 1 and 2 are the striped array, and 3 and 4
    are for my mirror array. I am only trying to use the striped array. Drives
    are sata 2 drives.

    I downloaded the package from:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp64_amd_6.66.html

    It unpacks and tries to install everything such as audio drivers etc, but I
    cancel out of the install package and copied the files from the
    \ide\winxp\sataraid folder onto a floppy to use during install.

    alternate folders are pataraid, raidtool, sata_ide.

    Soooo no idea where I am going wrong :(

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=, Aug 8, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=

    Rick Guest

    You need to contact the MB manufacturer, the hard drive manufacturer,
    and nVidia. There have been several post about SATA II drives not
    working properly under x64. Microsoft had documented the 0x0000007B
    error as being directly related to the SATA drivers, but I guess it's
    possible it's more than just the drivers causing the problem.

    Rick, Aug 9, 2005
  13. Hello,
    I think this is a decoration problem like Rick states.
    Setup takes the drivers during the text mode portion of setup so it sees
    the drives during that section.
    However when during GUI the decorations come into the picture the drivers
    are not available, thus the Stop 0x0000007B.
    I would check back with the source of the drivers.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:45:10 -0400
    <From: Rick <>
    <Subject: Re: Problems dual booting xp and x64
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Rob Powell wrote:
    <> That's odd then, as I only downloaded them from the nvidia site today!
    But,
    <> now you said that, the second time it reboots on install it does hang
    for 5
    <> seconds on detecting the arrays....
    <>
[...]
    <> "Rick" wrote:
    <>
    <>
    <>>Your 0x000007B error is telling you the SATA drivers you are using are
    <>>not the most current and are not properly decorated.
    <>>
    <>>What motherboard do you have and what SATA ports and configuration are
    <>>attempting to use?
    <>>
    <>>
    <>>Rob Powell wrote:
    <>>
    <>>>Hi Darrell,
    <>>>Okay did what you suggested and as x64 is still trying to complete
    <>>>installation it automatically choses that partition. Unfortunately it's
    not a
    <>>>great help:
    <>>>
    <>>>"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    damage.
    <>>>
    <>>>Check for viruses, do a chkdsk etc
    <>>>
    <>>>STOP: 0x0000007B"
    <>>>
    <>>>When I reboot I can keep doing this to get this error, but as soon as I
    <>>>chose safe mode it goes into 32bit windows, and I can't get back to
    trying to
    <>>>boot into x64 without reinstalling/repairing (hence the delay in reply)
    <>>>
    <>>>
    <>>>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
    <>>>
    <>>>
    <>>>
[...]
    <>>>>
    <>>>>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <>>>>--------------------
    <>>>><Thread-Topic: Problems dual booting xp and x64
    <>>>><thread-index: AcWcR2d6jPnnTER6QC6P+Uep10Jh2Q==
    <>>>><X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 84.67.92.217
    <>>>><From: "=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=" <Rob

    <>>>><Subject: Problems dual booting xp and x64
    <>>>><Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:31:34 -0700
    <>>>><Lines: 21
    <>>>><Message-ID: <>
    <>>>><MIME-Version: 1.0
    <>>>><Content-Type: text/plain;
    <>>>>< charset="Utf-8"
    <>>>><Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <>>>><X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
    <>>>><Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
    <>>>><Importance: normal
    <>>>><Priority: normal
    <>>>><X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.0
    <>>>><Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <>>>><NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl 10.40.2.250
    <>>>><Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl
    <>>>><Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:14286
    <>>>><X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <>>>><
    <>>>><Hardware:
    <>>>><Asus A8N SLI delux (latest bios)
    <>>>><2xSATA2 drives in stripe config, 3 partitions.
    <>>>><2gb corsair ram
    <>>>><
    <>>>><Hi guys
    <>>>><Okay I have 32bit XP installed without a problem. I put in my x64
    disk and
    <>>>><went through the full install, using the x64 raid drivers from the
    nvidia
    <>>>><website. It all installs perfectly, but when it comes to fully boot
    the
    <>>>>first
    <>>>><time it gets the windows splash screen then blue screens for a
    fraction of
    <>>>>a

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 9, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Since I see you mentioned above that you are using SATA II drives, you may
    be experiencing the same problems that many of us are experiencing with this
    motherboard (and other Nforce4 boards). I personally can't install x64 on a
    SATA II drive. Installs perfectly on SATA I. I tried to get help from ASUS
    and the drive mfg. ASUS is worthless and Hitachi did a lot of research but
    came to the conclusion it is a driver problem that Nvidia or ASUS have to
    solve. Incidentally, I was able to install X32 on it earlier, but since the
    last BIOS update even that won't install. I have the same setup as you,
    almost exactly, except I don't use RAID.
    Bad news I guess.

    John Barnes, Aug 9, 2005
  15. Darrell, Rick, and John,

    It's times like this that I realise that I know a lot less than I thought I
    knew! Thankyou very much for your patience and kind attention, it is
    appreciated.

    John, I guess we'll just have to wait for x64 to mature along with any new
    o/s and wait for the manufacturers to catch up! But, as I only paid $22 to
    upgrade a spare copy of pro, it's not exactly if I have lost out to any great
    extent!

    Thankyou all once more :)

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=, Aug 9, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I do hope you will let ASUS know you are having the problem too. Maybe they
    will start to take it seriously.

    John Barnes, Aug 9, 2005
  17. I have contacted asus, in fact I did it last night. nvidia have no way to
    contact them :(

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=, Aug 9, 2005
  18. I have the same motherboard, and have set up a dozen others.
    Read the reviews on NewEgg.com. Youl will find "Great Performance",
    "Suckie BIOS" I agree 100%. Tyan motherboards will "F6 load" from a USB
    Floppie drive, Asus will not.
    ASUS is the only motherboard company I found who answers the phone
    And transfers you to tech support, That why I like them.
    Ok, let's examine your problem. While there are four SATA connectors,
    There are only 2 controllers. For your RAID 10 array you mentioned to work
    Correctly It should Have RAID 1 mirror on each interface and a RAID 0
    Stripping
    Across the interfaces, BIOS willing.

    If you are mirroring Raptors your wasting your time and money at 1,000,000
    hours MTBF.

    If this doesn't fix it try this;
    I recomend a striped array, one drive per controller. (The two on the right
    when
    your holding the board with the slots to the left.) Set the other drives up
    on the
    Silicon RAID interface. Install the "f6 drivers"
    (Install XP x64, remove CD at first reboot)

    Use Ntbackup or download a free program called SncBack and mirror Nvidia to
    Silicon RAID

    Windows x64 is incredably SOLID. I set up a server with x64 on the 32 bit
    Silicone
    Graphics RAID controller and all worked well. (Just a test.)

    Roger

    =?Utf-8?B?T25seSB4NjQtNE1F?=, Aug 14, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFBvd2VsbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I am not using RAID. SATA I drives work perfectly. The SATA II drive does
    not. Doesn't make any difference which controller or if it is on the primary
    or secondary channel.

    John Barnes, Aug 15, 2005
  20. Hi guys,
    How are you creating partitions on the previous 32 system?
    You maybe working with a partition inside a partition and that's why it
    doesn't boot?
    By the way I understand partitions MUST be created before installing the 32
    system, am I right?

    =?Utf-8?B?RzY0?=, Aug 21, 2005