    tried to connect them to each other using crossover cables, but they
    only stay active for around 5 minutes and then the port will no longer
    respond. Any suggestions on what is wrong?

    Jon Houser, Nov 2, 2003

  2. (Jon Houser) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am not a network admin but I play one at work. My company recently
    > purchased 4 2950 - 24 port switches to create a new network. I have
    > tried to connect them to each other using crossover cables, but they
    > only stay active for around 5 minutes and then the port will no longer
    > respond. Any suggestions on what is wrong?

    Have you looked in the switch log for any clues?

    It's just a thought, but I think spanning-tree guard root would
    disable the port that you are using for the cross-over if it sees a
    BPDU incoming on that port. The only thing that makes me think that
    this might not be the problem is that I can't see it lasting 5 minutes
    before shutting down the port - I would expect it to be much quicker
    than that.

    Worth checking the config all the same for spanning-tree settings.

    Pete

    Pete Mainwaring, Nov 3, 2003