Problems Browsing on IE6

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jun 19, 2004.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    I don't know what the problem is. Ever since I installed the following
    software, I cannot view certain webpages with IE6:

    SpyBot 1.3
    Spyware Blaster
    CWShredder
    LSPFix
    WinPatrol
    HijackThis
    TweakUI
    StartupList

    For example, I when I go to:

    http://dsc.discovery.com/,

    half the page is blank. It doesn't have, for example, the links for
    Discovery Bike Week. But on Netscape 7.1, it is fine.

    And then, when I go to Amazon.com, and search for a book, and get the
    results, I try to click on the link near the bottom right:

    "Need Help? New Customer? Click here to learn about searching, browsing,
    [...]"

    And a new window opens up, but it is blank! This does not happen on
    Netscape.

    I tried going to SpyBot, and stopped the active blocking of bad webpages.
    Then I went to Spyware Blaster and disabled all protection. I cleared my
    cache. I restarted. Yet I still have these problems. I even tried holding
    "Control" while refreshing the problem pages.

    Does anyone know how I stop this? Maybe I have to use SpyBot to
    "un-immunize" my computer?
    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:03:47 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >I tried going to SpyBot, and stopped the active blocking of bad webpages.
    >Then I went to Spyware Blaster and disabled all protection. I cleared my
    >cache. I restarted. Yet I still have these problems.

    I've TRIED to tell you it's not SpyBot etc.... <sigh!>

    You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or
    Nothing Happens After You Click a Link

    Nothing happens when you click a link
    http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

    Internet Explorer - New Windows - Open with...
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/ienewind.htm

    Blank Page
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/blankpge.htm

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:03:47 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    > >I tried going to SpyBot, and stopped the active blocking of bad webpages.
    > >Then I went to Spyware Blaster and disabled all protection. I cleared my
    > >cache. I restarted. Yet I still have these problems.

    > I've TRIED to tell you it's not SpyBot etc.... <sigh!>

    yes, but this problem didn't start occurring until I downloaded those
    software programs and activated their blocking properties. I don't know what
    else could have caused this.

    > You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or
    > Nothing Happens After You Click a Link
    >
    > Nothing happens when you click a link
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
    >
    > Internet Explorer - New Windows - Open with...
    > http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/ienewind.htm
    >
    > Blank Page
    > http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/blankpge.htm

    The first two links don't apply to me, but I will have to look through all
    the links the third link above provides. The Discovery.com page loads, but
    certain sections are missing, with a place holder left in their place.
    Julie P., Jun 19, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:40:41 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:03:47 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Julie P. scrawled:
    >>
    >> >I tried going to SpyBot, and stopped the active blocking of bad webpages.
    >> >Then I went to Spyware Blaster and disabled all protection. I cleared my
    >> >cache. I restarted. Yet I still have these problems.

    >> I've TRIED to tell you it's not SpyBot etc.... <sigh!>
    >>

    >yes, but this problem didn't start occurring until I downloaded those
    >software programs and activated their blocking properties. I don't know what
    >else could have caused this.

    You're a "tinkerer", is what's wrong; remember you
    moving folders, when you had no idea they belonged
    there? Goodness knows what else you've done to
    your system, knowingly or otherwise. I can't help
    you any further with this, Julie; it's a lost cause.

    Format and reinstall.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 19, 2004
  5. °Mike° wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:40:41 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    >>"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:03:47 -0400, in
    >>> <>
    >>> Julie P. scrawled:

    >>> I've TRIED to tell you it's not SpyBot etc.... <sigh!>
    >>>

    >>yes, but this problem didn't start occurring until I downloaded those
    >>software programs and activated their blocking properties. I don't know
    >>what else could have caused this.

    > You're a "tinkerer", is what's wrong; remember you
    > moving folders, when you had no idea they belonged
    > there? Goodness knows what else you've done to
    > your system, knowingly or otherwise. I can't help
    > you any further with this, Julie; it's a lost cause.
    >
    > Format and reinstall.
    >
    > <snip>

    /me gives {littlecircle}Mike{littlecircle} a bunch of gold stars for
    patience unimaginably and obscenely above and beyond the call of duty.
    I'm surprised it took you this long, dude. The woman(?)'s obviously
    SNAFU (scatterbrained beyond all friggin understanding) -- either that, or
    a VERY knowledgable, sophisticated troll.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Jun 20, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:38:54 GMT, in
    <y4jBc.6218$>
    Gary G. Taylor scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:40:41 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Julie P. scrawled:
    >>
    >>>"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >>>yes, but this problem didn't start occurring until I downloaded those
    >>>software programs and activated their blocking properties. I don't know
    >>>what else could have caused this.

    >> You're a "tinkerer", is what's wrong; remember you
    >> moving folders, when you had no idea they belonged
    >> there? Goodness knows what else you've done to
    >> your system, knowingly or otherwise. I can't help
    >> you any further with this, Julie; it's a lost cause.
    >>
    >> Format and reinstall.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>

    >/me gives {littlecircle}Mike{littlecircle} a bunch of gold stars for
    >patience unimaginably and obscenely above and beyond the call of duty.
    > I'm surprised it took you this long, dude. The woman(?)'s obviously
    >SNAFU (scatterbrained beyond all friggin understanding) -- either that, or
    >a VERY knowledgable, sophisticated troll.

    Nah, there's no trollery at work here, sophisticated or otherwise.
    °Mike°, Jun 20, 2004
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:38:54 GMT, in
    > <y4jBc.6218$>
    > Gary G. Taylor scrawled:
    >
    > >°Mike° wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:40:41 -0400, in
    > >> <>
    > >> Julie P. scrawled:

    protection. I

    > >> You're a "tinkerer", is what's wrong; remember you
    > >> moving folders, when you had no idea they belonged
    > >> there? Goodness knows what else you've done to
    > >> your system, knowingly or otherwise. I can't help
    > >> you any further with this, Julie; it's a lost cause.
    > >>
    > >> Format and reinstall.
    > >>
    > >> <snip>
    > >>

    > >/me gives {littlecircle}Mike{littlecircle} a bunch of gold stars for
    > >patience unimaginably and obscenely above and beyond the call of duty.
    > > I'm surprised it took you this long, dude. The woman(?)'s obviously
    > >SNAFU (scatterbrained beyond all friggin understanding) -- either that,

    or
    > >a VERY knowledgable, sophisticated troll.

    > Nah, there's no trollery at work here, sophisticated or otherwise.

    Thanks. I think it's more I'm just a perfectionist, and new to many of these
    things. I do appreciate your help, as I have stated. If others need help,
    then they can post--there are plenty of knowledgeable people here overall
    who might be able to help. Maybe others are too scared to admit they are
    having problems, or don't care to resolve things.
    Julie P., Jun 20, 2004
  8. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:26:47 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> Nah, there's no trollery at work here, sophisticated or otherwise.
    >>

    >Thanks. I think it's more I'm just a perfectionist,

    Be careful; perfectionism often leads to unhealthy obsession.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 20, 2004
  9. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:26:47 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> Nah, there's no trollery at work here, sophisticated or otherwise.
    > >>

    > >Thanks. I think it's more I'm just a perfectionist,

    > Be careful; perfectionism often leads to unhealthy obsession.

    Tell me about it! I think it's already too late for me. :)
    Julie P., Jun 20, 2004