    the latest firmware and drivers. I have checked the settings in all the PC's
    and as far as I can see they are all the same. All PC's are XP and fully
    upto date. Can anyone help as this is driving me bonkers...

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNX?=, Jul 17, 2005

  2. I have a similar set-up and suffer from the same problems. Re-starting the
    router gets it to re-offer IP addresses, but this is not a fix. I would be
    interested to see if anyone has a solution, is a 3Com problem, or XP?

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVK?=, Jul 17, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNX?=

    Clark Guest

    Well, I may not be remembering this correctly, but there was one device like
    yours, that had such a problem and you have to get a different series
    Router to make it stop. I think the problem presented itself by a new
    addition to the wireless network, would knock off someone already connected.

    If that isn't it, does one computer at a time work normally? Can you change
    the cards around and have the problem move with the cards?

    Do you have enough addresses available for the 3 devices? Have you tried
    giving them static addresses?

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Clarke, you a quite correct, there is a lot of chat not only in this this
    newsgroup but also in others...relating to similar problems aquiring IP
    Address's, but I haven't seen a post that says changing the Router for a
    different 3Com model fixes the problem, in fact I haven't seen any posts at
    all with a fix!

    In addition to the 3 laptop's I have a Desktop with a Belkin 54g wireless
    card and that one always seeems to work fine. One of the laptops generally
    works OK, the other two are very iffy. The addition of another client doesn't
    knock another one off, as once you have the IP Address you seem to be OK
    until you turn off that laptop, or take it out of range...

    Just as SteveJ said the only fix I can find is to re-start the router! I
    have tried swapping the 3Com PC cards around, no difference, I have enough
    address's the router is set up for 192.168.1.2 > 192.168.1.254. The laptops
    always detect the wireless network, with a very good / excellent signal
    reception...but just sit there forever "Aquiring Network Address" I am
    fitting a Belkin 54g card into another XP Desktop tonight, so I'll see if
    that suffers from the same problems....

    I haven't tried Static address's yet, that will be my last resort, apart
    from buying another Router!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNX?=, Jul 18, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNX?=

    Liam Guest

    "ChrisW" <> wrote in message
    > Clarke, you a quite correct, there is a lot of chat not only in this this
    > newsgroup but also in others...relating to similar problems aquiring IP
    > Address's, but I haven't seen a post that says changing the Router for a
    > different 3Com model fixes the problem, in fact I haven't seen any posts
    > at
    > all with a fix!
    >
    > In addition to the 3 laptop's I have a Desktop with a Belkin 54g wireless
    > card and that one always seeems to work fine. One of the laptops
    > generally
    > works OK, the other two are very iffy. The addition of another client
    > doesn't
    > knock another one off, as once you have the IP Address you seem to be OK
    > until you turn off that laptop, or take it out of range...
    >
    > Just as SteveJ said the only fix I can find is to re-start the router! I
    > have tried swapping the 3Com PC cards around, no difference, I have enough
    > address's the router is set up for 192.168.1.2 > 192.168.1.254. The
    > laptops
    > always detect the wireless network, with a very good / excellent signal
    > reception...but just sit there forever "Aquiring Network Address" I am
    > fitting a Belkin 54g card into another XP Desktop tonight, so I'll see if
    > that suffers from the same problems....
    >
    > I haven't tried Static address's yet, that will be my last resort, apart
    > from buying another Router!

    Static addressing won't work either; I've been there. The 3Com 3CRWE754G-72
    is not capable of reliably supporting more than one wireless client at a
    time. Their advertising might say up to 256 (I think) but reality is
    different.

    I shelved mine and got a Draytek. Much better and loaded with features, it
    still has the odd wireless hiccup but if it gets into difficulty it reboots
    automatically. Which takes about 5 seconds, as opposed to maybe 1 minute
    with the 3Com, and even then as you have found out the problem may still not
    be resolved.

    HTH

    Liam, Jul 20, 2005
  6. Thanks for that Liam. I am now talking to 3Com Customer support. If and
    when they come up with a solution I'll post their response, but I fear you
    are correct, scrap the 3Com unit and buy another make. More expense!

    I assume that you are the same Liam that posted 5/30/2005 on the 3Com
    Officeconnect ADSL wireless router?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNX?=, Jul 20, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXNX?=

    Liam Guest

    "ChrisW" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that Liam. I am now talking to 3Com Customer support. If and
    > when they come up with a solution I'll post their response, but I fear you
    > are correct, scrap the 3Com unit and buy another make. More expense!
    >
    > I assume that you are the same Liam that posted 5/30/2005 on the 3Com
    > Officeconnect ADSL wireless router?

    Hi Chris,

    Yes that's me. At the time I along with the OP Geoff tried various firmwares
    but none were any good. The conclusion was as I said, the 3Com wireless
    implementation is just not up to the job. I think most consumer grade
    wireless routers are far from perfect, but the Draytek Vigor 2600G that I am
    using now is much more reliable and is the best of the bunch. It is widely
    used commercially for it's reliability and features. I won't be buying
    anything else from 3Com, that is for sure. Incidentally mine is still less
    than a year old, so I may follow up on it.

    Regards,

    Liam

    Liam, Jul 20, 2005