Problems after update from MSN on XP

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by David, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hope this is correct NG, please advise correct one if I'm in wrong place.

    Recently been to Window updater and several thing downloaded includeing IE
    7.

    I now have a new look browser and got a Security bar with several functions
    as well.
    The browser as a mind of its own, getting lots of pages appearing tryying to
    get me to install clean up s/w etc. They tell me I've got lots of problems,
    virouses etc.
    (Also getting lots of pop ups at the left hand bottom corner of screen
    giving security alerts.)
    I have Nortons Security running and up to date and it reports none of this.

    In IE when I click Home it goes to my set home page (my ISP) for a breif
    moment then it changes to a Malwhare site.

    It might of course not all be the Windows Update but what shall I do please?
    Going back to a restore piont does not help.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Nov 14, 2006

  2. David

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    David wrote:
    > Hope this is correct NG, please advise correct one if I'm in wrong place.
    >
    > Recently been to Window updater and several thing downloaded includeing IE
    > 7.
    >
    > I now have a new look browser and got a Security bar with several functions
    > as well.
    > The browser as a mind of its own, getting lots of pages appearing tryying to
    > get me to install clean up s/w etc. They tell me I've got lots of problems,
    > virouses etc.
    > (Also getting lots of pop ups at the left hand bottom corner of screen
    > giving security alerts.)
    > I have Nortons Security running and up to date and it reports none of this.
    >
    > In IE when I click Home it goes to my set home page (my ISP) for a breif
    > moment then it changes to a Malwhare site.
    >
    > It might of course not all be the Windows Update but what shall I do please?
    > Going back to a restore piont does not help.

    It sounds to me like the machine has been compromised in someway. You
    can go to alt.comp.anti-virus for some help as well as getting posts
    here too.

    Duane :)

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 15, 2006

  3. David

    Brian Guest

    Run a spysweep program. You have spyware and browser hijackers. Spybot is
    good www.safer-networking.org or ad aware (cant remember the site) If that
    doesnt work d/l hijack this and post your hijack log on a tech website for
    analysis (www.geekstogo.com)
    Hope this helps

    Brian, Nov 18, 2006