problems after resetting master password

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Hendrik Maryns, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    A while ago I asked here how to reset my master password, as I couldn't
    find it anymore. I got a link to
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password#Reset_your_master_password,
    which was helpful after I browsed around and corrected the errors on
    that page... All passwords are gone now, along with the master password,
    as expected.

    BUT now I have another problem: Firefox does no longer remember any
    passwords from the sites that had a password before. It does remember
    passwords for a few new sites. If I go to one of those sites, it asks
    me for the password, and doesn't even mention the dialog about whether I
    want the password to be remembered.

    Can I get around this somehow by clearing the passwords history? It
    seems that, although the passwords are gone, FF still remembers that it
    knows them...

    Is this a known bug, should I file it?

    TIA, H.
    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    Interesting websites:
    www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
    www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
    aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare

    Hendrik Maryns, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Hendrik Maryns

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > A while ago I asked here how to reset my master password, as I couldn't
    > find it anymore. I got a link to
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password#Reset_your_master_password,
    > which was helpful after I browsed around and corrected the errors on
    > that page... All passwords are gone now, along with the master password,
    > as expected.
    >
    > BUT now I have another problem: Firefox does no longer remember any
    > passwords from the sites that had a password before. It does remember
    > passwords for a few new sites. If I go to one of those sites, it asks
    > me for the password, and doesn't even mention the dialog about whether I
    > want the password to be remembered.
    >
    > Can I get around this somehow by clearing the passwords history? It
    > seems that, although the passwords are gone, FF still remembers that it
    > knows them...
    >
    > Is this a known bug, should I file it?
    >
    > TIA, H.

    Not sure but I'd check in the password dialog in Tools - Options -
    Privacy. View passwords and see if the sites not being remembered are
    in there. If so, remove them. Alternately you might try backing up the
    pw file then editing it in a text editor. Remove any of the problem
    sites. A third option is to simply rename the file to signons.txt.bak
    then restart FF and go to a problem site and see if FF remembers the pw
    then.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Ed Mullen uitte de volgende tekst op 7/07/2005 18:26:
    > Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> A while ago I asked here how to reset my master password, as I
    >> couldn't find it anymore. I got a link to
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password#Reset_your_master_password,
    >> which was helpful after I browsed around and corrected the errors on
    >> that page... All passwords are gone now, along with the master
    >> password, as expected.
    >>
    >> BUT now I have another problem: Firefox does no longer remember any
    >> passwords from the sites that had a password before. It does remember
    >> passwords for a few new sites. If I go to one of those sites, it asks
    >> me for the password, and doesn't even mention the dialog about whether
    >> I want the password to be remembered.
    >>
    >> Can I get around this somehow by clearing the passwords history? It
    >> seems that, although the passwords are gone, FF still remembers that
    >> it knows them...
    >>
    >> Is this a known bug, should I file it?
    >>
    >> TIA, H.

    > Not sure but I'd check in the password dialog in Tools - Options -
    > Privacy. View passwords and see if the sites not being remembered are
    > in there. If so, remove them. Alternately you might try backing up the
    > pw file then editing it in a text editor. Remove any of the problem
    > sites. A third option is to simply rename the file to signons.txt.bak
    > then restart FF and go to a problem site and see if FF remembers the pw
    > then.

    In signons.txt I only found the sites that it remembers now, after
    having reset the password. There are no sites in the don't remember
    list. I read something about removing key3.db, would that be an option?

    Thanks, H.

    Hendrik Maryns, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Ed Mullen uitte de volgende tekst op 7/07/2005 18:26:
    > Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> A while ago I asked here how to reset my master password, as I
    >> couldn't find it anymore. I got a link to
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password#Reset_your_master_password,
    >> which was helpful after I browsed around and corrected the errors on
    >> that page... All passwords are gone now, along with the master
    >> password, as expected.
    >>
    >> BUT now I have another problem: Firefox does no longer remember any
    >> passwords from the sites that had a password before. It does remember
    >> passwords for a few new sites. If I go to one of those sites, it asks
    >> me for the password, and doesn't even mention the dialog about whether
    >> I want the password to be remembered.
    >>
    >> Can I get around this somehow by clearing the passwords history? It
    >> seems that, although the passwords are gone, FF still remembers that
    >> it knows them...
    >>
    >> Is this a known bug, should I file it?
    >>
    >> TIA, H.

    > Not sure but I'd check in the password dialog in Tools - Options -
    > Privacy. View passwords and see if the sites not being remembered are
    > in there. If so, remove them. Alternately you might try backing up the
    > pw file then editing it in a text editor. Remove any of the problem
    > sites. A third option is to simply rename the file to signons.txt.bak
    > then restart FF and go to a problem site and see if FF remembers the pw
    > then.

    Thanks! The logins and pws were all still in the signon.txt file,
    encrypted of course. After removing all those that didn't work anymore,
    it works fine now!

    I think I'll file this in bugzilla...?

    Hendrik Maryns, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Hendrik Maryns

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Hendrik Maryns wrote:

    > Ed Mullen uitte de volgende tekst op 7/07/2005 18:26:
    >
    >> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> A while ago I asked here how to reset my master password, as I
    >>> couldn't find it anymore. I got a link to
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password#Reset_your_master_password,
    >>> which was helpful after I browsed around and corrected the errors on
    >>> that page... All passwords are gone now, along with the master
    >>> password, as expected.
    >>>
    >>> BUT now I have another problem: Firefox does no longer remember any
    >>> passwords from the sites that had a password before. It does
    >>> remember passwords for a few new sites. If I go to one of those
    >>> sites, it asks me for the password, and doesn't even mention the
    >>> dialog about whether I want the password to be remembered.
    >>>
    >>> Can I get around this somehow by clearing the passwords history? It
    >>> seems that, although the passwords are gone, FF still remembers that
    >>> it knows them...
    >>>
    >>> Is this a known bug, should I file it?
    >>>
    >>> TIA, H.

    >> Not sure but I'd check in the password dialog in Tools - Options -
    >> Privacy. View passwords and see if the sites not being remembered are
    >> in there. If so, remove them. Alternately you might try backing up
    >> the pw file then editing it in a text editor. Remove any of the
    >> problem sites. A third option is to simply rename the file to
    >> signons.txt.bak then restart FF and go to a problem site and see if FF
    >> remembers the pw then.

    > Thanks! The logins and pws were all still in the signon.txt file,
    > encrypted of course. After removing all those that didn't work anymore,
    > it works fine now!
    >
    > I think I'll file this in bugzilla...?

    Glad you got it sorted out. And that you (of course) immediately did a
    full profile backup. :-D

    Ed Mullen, Jul 7, 2005
  6. Ed Mullen uitte de volgende tekst op 7/07/2005 22:08:
    > Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    >
    >> Ed Mullen uitte de volgende tekst op 7/07/2005 18:26:

    >>> Not sure but I'd check in the password dialog in Tools - Options -
    >>> Privacy. View passwords and see if the sites not being remembered
    >>> are in there. If so, remove them. Alternately you might try backing
    >>> up the pw file then editing it in a text editor. Remove any of the
    >>> problem sites. A third option is to simply rename the file to
    >>> signons.txt.bak then restart FF and go to a problem site and see if
    >>> FF remembers the pw then.

    >> Thanks! The logins and pws were all still in the signon.txt file,
    >> encrypted of course. After removing all those that didn't work
    >> anymore, it works fine now!
    >>
    >> I think I'll file this in bugzilla...?
    >>

    > Glad you got it sorted out. And that you (of course) immediately did a
    > full profile backup. :-D

    :-s I live life on the edge. No seriously, I didn't; always forgetting
    that. grm. But hey, with three different versions of FF installed,
    things get confusing sometimes! I was editing the wrong signon file at
    first :-\

    Anyway thanks.

    Hendrik Maryns, Jul 7, 2005