    thnx, hj
    --
    ______________________

    hugh jass, Mar 3, 2004

  2. "hugh jass" wrote
    > I reformatted the c drive and then ran a scandisk with everything ok.
    > Now, I am trying to boot from a win89 bootdisk so that I can attempt an
    > install of win98.
    > When I to this, though, I get the message
    > "Invalid system disk
    > Replace the disk and then press any key"
    > No luck with this floppy, so I decided to take it out and remove a: from the
    > Bios boot sequence.

    Before you install Windows 98 on an empty hard disk, you must first create a
    primary partition and then format a file system on that partition. Each
    allocated space on the hard disk (primary partition or logical drive) is
    assigned a drive letter. Windows 98 supports the FAT16 and FAT32 file systems.
    When you run the Fdisk tool on a hard disk that is larger than 512 MB, you are
    prompted to choose a file system.

    etc.
    Continue here for more detailed step by step info on howto install win98 on a
    formatted harddisk:

    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q221/8/29.asp&NoWebContent=1

    (The link above is only one and must be on one line only)

    Regards
    Thorkild Dalsgaard

    Thorkild Dalsgaard, Mar 3, 2004

  3. hugh jass

    rickAnthony Guest

    What did you use to format the drive? The machine is not finding any
    operating system, which is why that message. Sounds like your BIOS has the
    boot-sequence set for the C-drive before the floppy (or CD). Go into your
    BIOS and make sure the drive you are trying to boot from preceeds the
    C-drive, so it can find what it needs to do the job.

    "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    > I reformatted the c drive and then ran a scandisk with everything ok.
    > Now, I am trying to boot from a win89 bootdisk so that I can attempt an
    > install of win98.
    > When I to this, though, I get the message
    > "Invalid system disk
    > Replace the disk and then press any key"
    > No luck with this floppy, so I decided to take it out and remove a: from

    the
    > Bios boot sequence.
    > Now, I am still getting the same error message, though there is nothing in
    > the floppy or CDROM drive and I have defined the boot sequence as "C

    only."

    rickAnthony, Mar 3, 2004
  4. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    I have one partition (FAT32) on the 3Gb HD and it is set as the active one.
    hj

    --
    ______________________
    :

    hugh jass, Mar 3, 2004
  5. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    I restarted in DOS and then typed in 'format c:'
    The Bios boot sequence was set to a: first, and when that didn't work, I set
    it to c: only.
    What have I missed?
    thnx, hj

    --
    ______________________
    "rickAnthony" <> wrote in message
    : What did you use to format the drive? The machine is not finding any
    : operating system, which is why that message. Sounds like your BIOS has the
    : boot-sequence set for the C-drive before the floppy (or CD). Go into your
    : BIOS and make sure the drive you are trying to boot from preceeds the
    : C-drive, so it can find what it needs to do the job.
    :
    : "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    : news:Vqq1c.4071$...
    : > I reformatted the c drive and then ran a scandisk with everything ok.
    : > Now, I am trying to boot from a win89 bootdisk so that I can attempt an
    : > install of win98.
    : > When I to this, though, I get the message
    : > "Invalid system disk
    : > Replace the disk and then press any key"
    : > No luck with this floppy, so I decided to take it out and remove a: from
    : the
    : > Bios boot sequence.
    : > Now, I am still getting the same error message, though there is nothing
    in
    : > the floppy or CDROM drive and I have defined the boot sequence as "C
    : only."
    : > Please help! What is going on?
    : > Is there something wrong with the hard drive?
    : > Would it help to run SpinRite?
    : > thnx, hj
    : > --
    : > ______________________
    : > please remove the obvious from my email...
    : >
    : >
    : >
    :
    :

    hugh jass, Mar 3, 2004
  6. hugh jass

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:34:12 -0500, "hugh jass"
    <> wrote:

    >I reformatted the c drive and then ran a scandisk with everything ok.

    Since the C: drive has been formatted, you won't be able to boot from
    it. It contains no operating system. You need to boot either from a
    bootable floppy or a bootable CD.

    >Now, I am trying to boot from a win89 bootdisk

    I'm presuming you mean Win98.

    >so that I can attempt an
    >install of win98.
    >When I to this, though, I get the message
    >"Invalid system disk
    >Replace the disk and then press any key"

    The floppy you have is not a bootable floppy. Get a different one, or
    boot from a bootable CD.

    >No luck with this floppy, so I decided to take it out and remove a: from the
    >Bios boot sequence.

    Well, that's not going to do much, except skip the A: drive search.
    You still won't be able to boot from your hard disk (seeing as how you
    just formatted it), and you won't be able to boot form the CD unless
    you have a bootable CD.

    >Now, I am still getting the same error message, though there is nothing in
    >the floppy or CDROM drive and I have defined the boot sequence as "C only."
    >Please help! What is going on?

    You have instructed the computer that the only device it is to boot
    from is the C drive. However, the C drive is not bootable; because
    you just formatted it, it contains no operating system.

    >Is there something wrong with the hard drive?
    >Would it help to run SpinRite?
    >thnx, hj

    Your hard drive is fine. You need a new Windows 98 bootdisk. You
    also need to instruct your BIOS to include the A drive in the boot
    sequence again.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Mar 3, 2004